• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This thread should be a sticky here in F&E

Thanks! Much appreciated
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yay, Congrats ThickMcRunFast! You did get me running, just did five miles yesterday and damn near ruined my iPhone! :tongue: Bought a belt clip today and looking forward to my next run. Thanks again!!
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this information!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My first 5K race is in just under 2 weeks. Saturday I moved to a place that was nice and flat to a place with lots of hills. Ugh! My pace was a LOT slower then normal! Bad timing for my move!!
  • jeremyjreeves
    jeremyjreeves Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great Post and great information! I've been running since February of this year and it's helped me lose 63 pounds. I have about 20 more to go. I've done 2 5ks and an 8k so far this year...I'm training for my first 10k in 8 weeks. I'm up to 6 miles consistently, I'm cross training with HIIT twice a week. Beginners often ask me how I got started running. I was an athlete in college, I always ran for sports. Now, I run for fitness. I run for stress relief. I run for the endorphin rush. I am a runner. I watched my wife training for a half marathon and thought I could do this with her. The first month was VERY hard. My feet were sore, my legs were sore, my ankles were killing me. I wasn't in the same universe as my wife when it came to mileage or speed. Despite that, I took it slow and build up my endurance levels. As my cardiovascular system improved, so did my running. Losing weight has made it so much easier to run long distances without being winded. My resting heart rate is consistently under 50.

Everything you said about running attire and equipment is the truth! I have strong opinions about socks. I will not wear anything cotton because that's inviting blisters! Trust me, it's happened. I invested in a few good pairs of Thorlo Socks. Not cheap, $13 a pair, but they make running more comfortable. Same with shoes. Don't go to Foot Locker, Sport Chalet, Finish Line, or any of those other chain stores. Find a reputable RUNNING STORE and buy shoes from them if you plan on taking this seriously. I got a foot and stride analysis and they sold me shoes that fit how I ran. Turned out, Brooks is my jam. I even got custom insoles so that my foot fits perfectly in the shoe. They weren't cheap, but they were worth every penny for how much time I spend in them! I can't imagine NOT running in the moisture wicking "Under Armour" type material. There's no other way to go! I also invested in a good armband for my iPhone and some good Bose Headphones. If music is your thing while you run, invest in some quality headphones. I also wear compression shorts. For some reason, they seem to enhance my runs so I'm more focused. I've also found that not eating enough food or not being properly hydrated leaves me feeling VERY tired and usually stopping short of my goal for the day. You can't run without fuel. Great Post again!
  • jeremyjreeves
    jeremyjreeves Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Check out an armband product called QuadLock. I just got one a few days ago and it makes running so much easier without a sleeve. They have a video on their website to check out.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am planning to start C25K this week. Great advice!

Thank you!
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    thanks for taking the time to put that together for us noobies:smile:
  • RodneyAshley
    Options
    Great post! I'm sure the newbies here have learned a lot to get started with their fitness goal. :)
  • boopathon
    Options
    here's a little something for motivation, http://tinyurl.com/khrn2a7 this could help a bit
  • desidieter
    Options
    BUMP!
  • fabidabi123
    Options
    WOW. This is all phenomenal advice. - thank you so much for sharing. Please help add to this topic - you would be such a big help:

https://www.hubub.com/topic.php?id=142053
  • newwifeaged28
    Options
    I want to start running and due to working hours i plan to go out at 8am for 30 mins, i will do the couch to 5k.
    My question is when and what do i eat before a run? I know not to go out on empty but then again not after a bowl of porridge.
    My hubby suggested fruit and yogurt at 7am, run at 8am then home and have an omelette afterwards.
    This question actually relates to all exercise, when and what to eat.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Thanks, lots of good info.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I want to start running and due to working hours i plan to go out at 8am for 30 mins, i will do the couch to 5k.
    My question is when and what do i eat before a run? I know not to go out on empty but then again not after a bowl of porridge.
    My hubby suggested fruit and yogurt at 7am, run at 8am then home and have an omelette afterwards.

For 30 minutes of exercise, you don't usually *need* to eat anything. In general eating is all individual preference. Some people do just fine eating a fair bit of food and others don't.

And it depends a lot on what the rest of your day looks like. I often eat a large lunch and usually go out after work and exercise for an hour or so without eating anything between lunch and exercise - and then I eat immediately afterwards. Sometimes I'll have a small snack of whatever, but in general I prefer a mostly empty stomach.

If I've got a long run and I haven't eaten in a while (like say a morning run when my last meal was dinner at 7) I'll eat a granola bar or a piece of toast, give it maybe 10-15 minutes to settle, and then head out.

It also depends on what exactly you're going out to do - but as a beginner anything you probably won't be doing anything taxing enough that you need to worry too much about eating the 'perfect' pre-workout food. Use this time to experiment with what works for you.

So the short answer is - "It depends." Fruit and yogurt is perfectly fine if you enjoy that sort of thing and if it doesn't upset your stomach when you are working out. Some people might not like filling their stomach with a lot of cold stuff right before exercise and others do just fine with it.

(Oh and um - be aware that coffee is a diuretic. And running tends to get things moving along in that area too. So some people find that coffee needs to be a good hour before they start running so they can get in a potty break BEFORE they leave the house)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

For 30 minutes of exercise, you don't usually *need* to eat anything. In general eating is all individual preference. Some people do just fine eating a fair bit of food and others don't.

And it depends a lot on what the rest of your day looks like. I often eat a large lunch and usually go out after work and exercise for an hour or so without eating anything between lunch and exercise - and then I eat immediately afterwards. Sometimes I'll have a small snack of whatever, but in general I prefer a mostly empty stomach.

If I've got a long run and I haven't eaten in a while (like say a morning run when my last meal was dinner at 7) I'll eat a granola bar or a piece of toast, give it maybe 10-15 minutes to settle, and then head out.

It also depends on what exactly you're going out to do - but as a beginner anything you probably won't be doing anything taxing enough that you need to worry too much about eating the 'perfect' pre-workout food. Use this time to experiment with what works for you.

So the short answer is - "It depends." Fruit and yogurt is perfectly fine if you enjoy that sort of thing and if it doesn't upset your stomach when you are working out. Some people might not like filling their stomach with a lot of cold stuff right before exercise and others do just fine with it.

(Oh and um - be aware that coffee is a diuretic. And running tends to get things moving along in that area too. So some people find that coffee needs to be a good hour before they start running so they can get in a potty break BEFORE they leave the house)

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

You're not going to be doing anything too strenuous with C25K, so getting out there fasted isn't a big deal. Some people like a little something in their stomach, and for that I would suggest an apple or banana, maybe toast. Usually, if the run is under an hour, I just have a few glasses of water and get out there. For a race, I'd do a piece of toast with peanut butter, a banana, and black coffee 1.5-2 hours before the gun goes off. Its all personal preference. I dislike having any sort of dairy in my system while running. Only found that out through trial and error.

As for what you should eat after, most refueling strategies call for eating something with a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein within an hour of exercise. Eggs with toast is pretty perfect. Just make sure you're getting enough protein throughout the rest of the day.
  • maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • strds
    strds Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Awesome writeup thankyou. I am starting my own voyage with running this week after 4-5years of avoiding running as much as possible. I do find running on a treadmill easier than running on grass or foot path so have just purchased a treadmill. I am hoping to not have knee issues and plan to take it easy to start with. Looking forward to the challange.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Actually, for a short run in the morning, I usually have a cup of coffee and just go. I might have a yogurt or toast with peanut butter. If you're going to eat anything more than that, you really need to wait a while to let it digest. Good luck!