Just For Today

Options

Replies

• NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just for today, I won't look at the snow peas and wish they were crescent cookies with green frosting. >.<
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just for today, I won't look at the snow peas and wish they were crescent cookies with green frosting. >.<

That is just plain awesome! I wonder if I could convince my children to eat them using that tactic.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: slow and steady!
  • berrymedley
    Options
    Just for today: I will go on a run
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,389 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will stick to my No Junk Food Challenge.
  • Veronnie87
    Veronnie87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just for today: I will accept that I did not have a very good weekend food-wise (no regular meals and too much crappy food) and I WILL NOT allow one weekend be my excuse to give up (again!). I will drink my water today, and FORGIVE myself for not having made the best choices.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will slow down and let my body rest.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Geat post Kate! Hope you are feeling well!

Just for today I will remember why I decided to do this and instead of looking at my flaws, I'll see beauty...
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Just for today I am going to try to have the perspective of Kate and realize life is short and enjoy the moment I'm in.
  • phofilled
    Options
    Just for today: I won't worry about things that haven't happened yet.

:drinker: ^^This for myself!
  • cpanus
    Options
    Just for Today: I will think of my journey as fun and exciting.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: Moderation!!!!! I really over did yesterday and am paying the price today!
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I like the "one day at a time" philosophy. However, I think being overly strict about eating (a la only being a cookie away from 300 lbs.) is not something that is sustainable.

Learning to normalize our eating is key to not only losing weight, but keeping it off. Learning how to have a cookie - just one - if you want one, instead of fearing it will lead to you being 300 lbs., to me seems like the way to go.....at least for me.

Good Gosh Yes. This. Please. +1Million

Figure out how to have a normal, healthy relationship with food. Unlike smoking or drinking alcohol, you can't quit food cold turkey. You have to eat to live.

Deprivation is a road to disaster for a lot of people.

The only way this really works is when you can have a relationship with food that YOU can be happy with for the rest of your life.

I've had a lot of food problems in the past. Every time I tried a fad "diet", I felt the same way you did: the thought of having to stick to that way of eating for the rest of my life really made me depressed, and it wasn't long for me to fall off that wagon.

What finally has worked is learning how to eat withing a caloric budget, exercising more to create the necessary deficit, and eating whatever I want (within the calorie budget, of course). This means: no food or drink is off the table for me, and that is something I can definitely live with for the rest of my life.

I look at what I'm doing right now: eating foods I enjoy, lifting weights 3x a week, and walking 10K steps per day, and that is something I can do, enjoy, and know I can sustain for the rest of my life. And it is working.

You may need to travel down the same, or a similar path to be successful.
  • alanabanana86
    alanabanana86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just for today I will work my absolute hardest at my strength circuits session :) and I will stop nibbling the chocolate buttons every time In enter the kitchen.

I'll deal with tomorrow's roller derby tomorrow...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Just for today, I will be kind to someone who doesn't deserve my kindness. :flowerforyou:
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like the "one day at a time" philosophy. However, I think being overly strict about eating (a la only being a cookie away from 300 lbs.) is not something that is sustainable.

Learning to normalize our eating is key to not only losing weight, but keeping it off. Learning how to have a cookie - just one - if you want one, instead of fearing it will lead to you being 300 lbs., to me seems like the way to go.....at least for me.

Figure out how to have a normal, healthy relationship with food. Unlike smoking or drinking alcohol, you can't quit food cold turkey. You have to eat to live.

The only way this really works is when you can have a relationship with food that YOU can be happy with for the rest of your life.

I've had a lot of food problems in the past. Every time I tried a fad "diet", I felt the same way you did: the thought of having to stick to that way of eating for the rest of my life really made me depressed, and it wasn't long for me to fall off that wagon.

What finally has worked is learning how to eat withing a caloric budget, exercising more to create the necessary deficit, and eating whatever I want (within the calorie budget, of course). This means: no food or drink is off the table for me, and that is something I can definitely live with for the rest of my life.

I look at what I'm doing right now: eating foods I enjoy, lifting weights 3x a week, and walking 10K steps per day, and that is something I can do, enjoy, and know I can sustain for the rest of my life. And it is working.

Exactly this. The only thing that has really worked for me is knowing I can have whatever I want, just in moderation. Well, that and a really lot of exercise. :-)
  • CricketKate
    Options

Exactly this. The only thing that has really worked for me is knowing I can have whatever I want, just in moderation. Well, that and a really lot of exercise. :-)

I appreciate your perspective and I see the sense in what you say. I thought once that I had reached the point that I would have that kind of relationship with food. I know now that I don't. My relationship with food is not strictly professional; I love it, I use it, I abuse it. I certainly hope to reach the healthy mindset that you are enjoying in your lives, but I'm honest enough with myself to know that I am not there yet. As the saying goes, "One is too many and a thousand is never enough". For me, getting through Today, without the cookie, may help me reach the point that you all seem to have reached.
  • cpanus
    Options
    I'm not there either, CricketKate. It is a daily struggle for me, too.

Just for Today: I will be proud that I resisted all the junk and trigger food set out and served at the party this afternoon.
  • fluffygrump
    fluffygrump Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just for today, I will tell Cricket Kate that I know exactly what she's talking about when she says "One is too many and a thousand is never enough". Samuel Johnson once said, when someone offered him wine: “Abstinence is as easy to me as temperance would be difficult.”
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This was awesome!

Just for today I will step outside my comfort zone and accept that life is short and fleeting and there is no need to get so anxious about so little...
    Easier said than done but I am a work in progress. :flowerforyou: