Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! My mom used Sweet N Low (which HAS been proved to cause cancer), but she lived to 89!

It was linked to bladder cancer in rats when saccharin (sweet 'n low) was combined with cyclamates (an artificial sweetener banned in the US). Even then it apparently was determined that the cancer developed due to some kind of mechanism that is unique to rats and not people.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners

Scroll down to #3.

Dunno if this helps.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! My mom used Sweet N Low (which HAS been proved to cause cancer), but she lived to 89!

It was linked to bladder cancer in rats when saccharin (sweet 'n low) was combined with cyclamates (an artificial sweetener banned in the US). Even then it apparently was determined that the cancer developed due to some kind of mechanism that is unique to rats and not people.

Scroll down to #3.

Dunno if this helps.

I do wonder how paranoid one must be to believe that a product that is still on the market and readily availabe has been "proven" to cause cancer.

Honestly people there isn't a conspiracy to try to kill you. If something is shown to be carcinogenic or toxic it is not going to be put into food because A) if you believe that the FDA is actually interested in protecting health then obviously they would disallow that and B) if you believe that the FDA doesn't care and everything is driven by market forces then something like that would be pretty easy for competitors to market against. Makers of other artificial sweetners would sing from the rooftops how this other sweetener causes cancer. The reason that doesn't happen is because it doesn't cause cancer.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Scroll down to #3.

Dunno if this helps.

I do wonder how paranoid one must be to believe that a product that is still on the market and readily availabe has been "proven" to cause cancer.

Honestly people there isn't a conspiracy to try to kill you. If something is shown to be carcinogenic or toxic it is not going to be put into food because A) if you believe that the FDA is actually interested in protecting health then obviously they would disallow that and B) if you believe that the FDA doesn't care and everything is driven by market forces then something like that would be pretty easy for competitors to market against. Makers of other artificial sweetners would sing from the rooftops how this other sweetener causes cancer. The reason that doesn't happen is because it doesn't cause cancer.

I don't believe there is a conspiracy either. But there was a warning label on pink packets for decades about cancer and rats. I posted about this earlier, but that warning label was a conversation piece when waiting for our meals at restaurants many times. It's very recent history that the warning label was removed.
    That there is a widespread belief in the US that pink packets (or artificial sweetener in general) are proved to cause cancer, it is hardly a mystery why that is.
    If the surgeon generals warning was removed from cigarettes because of the discovery of some causal attribution error about cigarettes and cancer, it also wouldn't be that big of a mystery why most people would nevertheless be of the belief that cigarettes have been proven to cause cancer.

I use pink packets multiple times a day, it's my favorite sweetener, I understand why the warning was removed, and I have enjoyed your thread. But I don't think the belief that artificial sweeteners cause cancer is entirely irrational given that one had a huge warning label stamped on it, and I don't agree that the FDA wouldn't continue to let something that has been shown to cause cancer to be put on the food market anyway because... did they not do exactly that with sweet n low with the caveat of stamping a warning label on it. i.e. consume at your own risk? That it isn't believed to be carcinogenic NOW has no bearing on what was believed about it THEN, does it? And the residual effects of that warning label seem what one might expect from a population that had been staring at a warning label on their artificial sweetener for decades.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Scroll down to #3.

Dunno if this helps.

I don't believe there is a conspiracy either. But there was a warning label on pink packets for decades about cancer and rats. I posted about this earlier, but that warning label was a conversation piece when waiting for our meals at restaurants many times. It's very recent history that the warning label was removed.
    That there is a widespread belief in the US that pink packets (or artificial sweetener in general) are proved to cause cancer, it is hardly a mystery why that is.
    If the surgeon generals warning was removed from cigarettes because of the discovery of some causal attribution error about cigarettes and cancer, it also wouldn't be that big of a mystery why most people would nevertheless be of the belief that cigarettes have been proven to cause cancer.

I use pink packets multiple times a day, it's my favorite sweetener, I understand why the warning was removed, and I have enjoyed your thread. But I don't think the belief that artificial sweeteners cause cancer is entirely irrational given that one had a huge warning label stamped on it, and I don't agree that the FDA wouldn't continue to let something that has been shown to cause cancer to be put on the food market anyway because... did they not do exactly that with sweet n low with the caveat of stamping a warning label on it. i.e. consume at your own risk? That it isn't believed to be carcinogenic NOW has no bearing on what was believed about it THEN, does it? And the residual effects of that warning label seem what one might expect from a population that had been staring at a warning label on their artificial sweetener for decades.

I think you make some valid points but just to clarify what I said was do you think the FDA would allow something to remain on the market that had been PROVEN to cause cancer. Saccharine was never proven to cause cancer. There was one study, that was discussed previously in this thread, where in combination with another molecule in high dose some rats got cancer. That study was not particularly convincing but in a move that I consider to be a mistake (and the FDA later decided was a mistake) on the basis of that possibility they applied a warning label despite there being insufficient evidence. When later time and time again other studies showed no effect they eventually removed the label.

As for cigarettes they aren't food and therefore are not regulated in the same way. There is also a big difference between an identifiable product (like a cigarette) and the inclusion of an ingredient within foods (as saccharine is used in many products). The analogy would be would the FDA allow the inclusion of nicotine in food products. Do you think they would?

I will agree with you though based on that former label I can see why people are hesitant or unsure about it. That said there is a big BIG difference between being hesitant and unsure (which I understand) and loudly proclaiming in a public forum that saccharine "has been proven to cause cancer" which I do not understand. I do think that is fairly paranoid and not very well thought out.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I think you make some valid points but just to clarify what I said was do you think the FDA would allow something to remain on the market that had been PROVEN to cause cancer. Saccharine was never proven to cause cancer. There was one study, that was discussed previously in this thread, where in combination with another molecule in high dose some rats got cancer. That study was not particularly convincing but in a move that I consider to be a mistake (and the FDA later decided was a mistake) on the basis of that possibility they applied a warning label despite there being insufficient evidence. When later time and time again other studies showed no effect they eventually removed the label.

As for cigarettes they aren't food and therefore are not regulated in the same way. There is also a big difference between an identifiable product (like a cigarette) and the inclusion of an ingredient within foods (as saccharine is used in many products). The analogy would be would the FDA allow the inclusion of nicotine in food products. Do you think they would?

The point of my analogy was just to illustrate the idea of the public needing an adjustment period. I used cigarettes as being analogous insofar as they have a warning label and it's part of the collective conscience now that they 'cause cancer.' This was once also so (though to a much smaller degree) for saccharin, rightly or wrongly, so a person not fully adjusted to the new (for him) revelation that saccharin does not cause cancer, I think that is understandable. Just as it would be understandable if the public doesn't adjust right away to any revelation that cigarettes don't cause cancer. (I think suspicion at that revelation would be ubiquitous and understandably so)
    The differences in how these products are regulated I don't feel detracts from the point of my analogy, and you recognized the greater point I was making later.
    I will agree with you though based on that former label I can see why people are hesitant or unsure about it. That said there is a big BIG difference between being hesitant and unsure (which I understand) and loudly proclaiming in a public forum that saccharine "has been proven to cause cancer" which I do not understand. I do think that is fairly paranoid and not very well thought out.

Perhaps not well thought-out, people toss around 'proven' 'proof' and 'proved' pretty carelessly, when what they probably mean is something a lot less strong than that, like "science supports blah blah". The poster who said saccharin was proved to cause cancer, I didn't suspect them to be pushing paranoia or conspiracies, but rather was repeating what they probably learned from a warning stamp on a pink packet. Evidently they didn't take that knowledge too seriously given their accompanying personal anecdote about their mother's longevity that appeared to the poster to defy the science. :)

And that was what I really getting at, that posters like that one are more likely a remnant of the warning label era, rather than a paranoid conspiracy theorist. I do think it's kind of ironic though that they essentially rejected what they thought was the science in favor of personal anecdote. :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

The point of my analogy was just to illustrate the idea of the public needing an adjustment period. I used cigarettes as being analogous insofar as they have a warning label and it's part of the collective conscience now that they 'cause cancer.' This was once also so (though to a much smaller degree) for saccharin, rightly or wrongly, so a person not fully adjusted to the new (for him) revelation that saccharin does not cause cancer, I think that is understandable. Just as it would be understandable if the public doesn't adjust right away to any revelation that cigarettes don't cause cancer. (I think suspicion at that revelation would be ubiquitous and understandably so)
    The differences in how these products are regulated I don't feel detracts from the point of my analogy, and you recognized the greater point I was making later.

Perhaps not well thought-out, people toss around 'proven' 'proof' and 'proved' pretty carelessly, when what they probably mean is something a lot less strong than that, like "science supports blah blah". The poster who said saccharin was proved to cause cancer, I didn't suspect them to be pushing paranoia or conspiracies, but rather was repeating what they probably learned from a warning stamp on a pink packet. Evidently they didn't take that knowledge too seriously given their accompanying personal anecdote about their mother's longevity that appeared to the poster to defy the science. :)

And that was what I really getting at, that posters like that one are more likely a remnant of the warning label era, rather than a paranoid conspiracy theorist. I do think it's kind of ironic though that they essentially rejected what they thought was the science in favor of personal anecdote. :)

Yeah okay, I get what you are saying and yeah I think you are right.
  • mainecasey1
    mainecasey1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For some people, artificial sweeteners like aspartame trigger migraines. I know first hand.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    For some people, artificial sweeteners like aspartame trigger migraines. I know first hand.

Science doesn't believe aspartame is actually causing that migrane:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3657889

The incidence rate of headache after aspartame (35 percent) was not significantly different from that after placebo (45 percent) (P less than 0.50). No serious reactions were observed, and the incidence of symptoms other than headache following aspartame was also equivalent to that after placebo. No treatment-related effects were detected in vital signs, blood pressure, or plasma concentrations of cortisol, insulin, glucagon, histamine, epinephrine, or norepinephrine. Most of the subjects were well educated and overweight and had a family or personal history of allergic reactions. The subjects who had headaches had lower plasma concentrations of norepinephrine (P less than 0.0002) and epinephrine (P less than 0.02) just before the development of headache. We conclude that in this population, aspartame is no more likely to produce headache than placebo.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, although I am one of the great defenders of aspartame in threads like these - I do think migraines are so individual and so varied in cause.

If people say they get migraines from aspartame, I beleive them.
    No problem there.

My only problem is when people then say it is bad for everyone.

Mainecasey did not do that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, although I am one of the great defenders of aspartame in threads like these - I do think migraines are so individual and so varied in cause.

If people say they get migraines from aspartame, I beleive them.
    No problem there.

My only problem is when people then say it is bad for everyone.

Mainecasey did not do that.

I am with you on this one. A nocebo effect still creates a negative reaction in people, so to them, it is real. However, that can be a self-fulfilling prophesy in a way so is a bit of 'iffy line to follow for everything.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I don't have much opinion on the migraine thing because I don't really consider it relevent. My issue, again, is with people taking their personal experience of getting headaches or what they read on the internet somewhere as proof that aspartame is somehow toxic when it is not. Aspartame triggering migraines is not a problem with aspartame anymore than cheese causing migraines is a problem with cheese. If you experience pain when doing X then don't do X, but that doesn't mean that X is bad for everyone nor should you decry X publically as being somehow bad in general terms.

I am not saying mainecasey did that, she just stated it caused migraines for her to which my response is to shrug basically. I don't mean to sound harsh but I just don't find that particularly informative. Its like if I came on a thread about how peanuts are not toxic and stated that if I ate peanuts I'd die because I am allergic. Well...okay, but does that then make peanuts toxic? No, not really...it just means that I personally should not injest peanuts.

Do I think aspartame could cause migraines? I don't know, sure maybe I have no clue to be honest. When people say it does I tend to just let that go because I see no reason to argue that point as whether or not it does really has no relevance.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I don't have much opinion on the migraine thing because I don't really consider it relevent. My issue, again, is with people taking their personal experience of getting headaches or what they read on the internet somewhere as proof that aspartame is somehow toxic when it is not. Aspartame triggering migraines is not a problem with aspartame anymore than cheese causing migraines is a problem with cheese. If you experience pain when doing X then don't do X, but that doesn't mean that X is bad for everyone nor should you decry X publically as being somehow bad in general terms.

I am not saying mainecasey did that, she just stated it caused migraines for her to which my response is to shrug basically. I don't mean to sound harsh but I just don't find that particularly informative. Its like if I came on a thread about how peanuts are not toxic and stated that if I ate peanuts I'd die because I am allergic. Well...okay, but does that then make peanuts toxic? No, not really...it just means that I personally should not injest peanuts.

Do I think aspartame could cause migraines? I don't know, sure maybe I have no clue to be honest. When people say it does I tend to just let that go because I see no reason to argue that point as whether or not it does really has no relevance.
    I do fully agree with the line in bold obviously. Can I say that aspartame gives me migraines? No, because I'm pretty damn sure I've had plenty of things out the with it in it and have had no problems. Now will I have crystal light again? Nope, not because I believe the aspartame gave me headache per se but more because "I had a bunch of headaches last time I tried crystal light".

Yeah and that makes you sane. Whenever one encounters a situation like that they have to weigh the desire to find the actual cause of a problem against the sheer amount of time and effort required to even attempt to do so with no guarantee of success. 99% of the time people, including myself, are just going to shrug and decide its easier just to avoid that thing that they don't need anyways and move on. Honestly I wouldn't expect otherwise. Where my eyes start to roll is when they turn that into an internet crusade demanding that everyone recognize how that thing is bad in general.
  • sweetnsassy4evr
    Options
    Wow ... this thread is getting pretty long ... but I'll add my 2 cents ...

I have never been a "dieter" or a "diet" drinker but about 10 years ago I decided I drank way too much Dr. Pepper and, because I have hypo-glycemia and it messed with my blood sugar, I switched to Diet Dr. Pepper. Within 2 months my memory had gotten so bad that not only could I not remember a conversation the day before (or even earlier that day) I couldn't remember even seeing the person. I have always had an amazing memory (remembering entire conversations that happened the year before). I didn't attribute it to the soda and honestly had no idea what was happening. Then I got an email warning of the possible side effects of aspertame. I don't always buy into all of the hype but since that made sense to me because one of the possible effects was memory loss I decided to stop drinking the Diet Dr. Pepper. I noticed an improvement immediately.
    Although it may not effect everyone the same, there have been countless individuals who have had severe and even dibilitating side effects of aspertame. To tell others that it is safe seems a bit irrisponsible and negligent in my opinion. Just because you don't notice ill effects from something does not mean that it isn't causing your body harm or that those side effects won't surface later in life.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    aspartame will kill you
    There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption. It seems surreal, but true.
  • melindafritz1976
    Options
    side effects
    Eye
    blindness in one or both eyes
    decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
    pain in one or both eyes
    decreased tears
    trouble with contact lenses
    bulging eyes

Ear
    tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
    severe intolerance of noise
    marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
    epileptic seizures
    headaches, migraines and (some severe)
    dizziness, unsteadiness, both
    confusion, memory loss, both
    severe drowsiness and sleepiness
    paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
    severe slurring of speech
    severe hyperactivity and restless legs
    atypical facial pain
    severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric
    severe depression
    irritability
    aggression
    anxiety
    personality changes
    insomnia
    phobias

Chest
    palpitations, tachycardia
    shortness of breath
    recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal
    nausea
    diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
    abdominal pain
    pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
    itching without a rash
    lip and mouth reactions
    hives
    aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic
    loss of control of diabetes
    menstrual changes
    marked thinning or loss of hair
    marked weight loss
    gradual weight gain
    aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
    severe PMS
  • melindafritz1976
    Options
    more side effects
    Other
    frequency of voiding and burning during urination
    excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
    increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
    death
    irreversible brain damage
    birth defects, including mental retardation
    peptic ulcers
    aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
    hyperactivity in children
    severe depression
    aggressive behavior
    suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Epstein-Barr
    Post-Polio Syndrome
    Lyme Disease
    Grave’s Disease
    Meniere’s Disease
    Alzheimer’s Disease
    ALS
    Epilepsy
    Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    EMS
    Hypothyroidism
    Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
    Fibromyalgia
    Lupus
    non-Hodgkins
    Lymphoma
    Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

These are not allergies or sensitivities, but diseases and disease syndromes. Aspartame poisoning is commonly misdiagnosed because aspartame symptoms mock textbook ‘disease’ symptoms, such as Grave’s Disease.

Aspartame changes the ratio of amino acids in the blood, blocking or lowering the levels of serotonin, tyrosine, dopamine, norepinephrine, and adrenaline. Therefore, it is typical that aspartame symptoms cannot be detected in lab tests and on x-rays. Textbook disorders and diseases may actually be a toxic load as a result of aspartame poisoning.

Ever gone to the doctor with real, physical symptoms, but he/she can’t find the cause? Well, it’s probably your diet, your environment, or both.
  • melindafritz1976
    Options
    Begin with detoxifying your body of all residual chemical toxins from aspartame's chemical make up of phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol and their toxic by-products, and see if any adverse health symptoms remain. Try the Aspartame Detoxification Program, and within 30 days your symptoms should disappear.

Steps:

Remove all sugar-free products with aspartame from your diet.
    Learn to 'read' your body. Begin recording any health changes.
    Get a hair analysis.
    Be happy with yourself.
    Detoxify.
    Restore depleted nutrients.
    Exercise and get plenty of rest.
    Eat 75% raw foods at every meal.
    Drink water, water, water.
    Get control of your life.