Help me not fall into the Coke Zero trap!!

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Not only is it a carcinogen, but it also has shown, like diet drinks, to deposit fat around the mid section.

No. And No.

I'll throw another No in there for good measure..... :drinker:
    nonononono
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Its_a_trap!.jpg
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Not only is it a carcinogen, but it also has shown, like diet drinks, to deposit fat around the mid section.

It gives you NOTHING other than bad things.

so it's up to you. is it worth it? all the negatives? for .. what? is it really that tasty ?

Perhaps you are referring to artificial sweeteners (e.g. Aspartame, sucralose, saccharin) shown to cause benign ( non cancerous ) brain tumors in mice in some studies.

...in mice. Show me that it causes it in people or pry the diet soda out of my cold, lifeless clutches!
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options

so it's up to you. is it worth it? all the negatives? for .. what? is it really that tasty ?

Uh, no... Just no.

seriously eh, where do people come up with this stuff lol.

If you dont want to drink it or consume it thats fine but why make up things or believe made up things? find one actual REAL study done showing any of the claims... not some hocus pokus uber health site preaching their own dreams but a real, scientific study

Here are some "real scientific studies" in peer reviewed journals about sodas and/or artificial sweeteners:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24700203

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3772345/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691511000639

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3317920/

This is a general article from the NIH website discussing scientific studies on soda:

http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/february2014/02032014diet.htm

As an aside, I gave up sodas (both diet and regular) at the first of the year. For me, it has been harder to give up soda than give up cigarettes. I feel much better for having done so, and I found when *I* drink soda, it makes me thirstier, and I also seem to retain fluid around my ankles when I drink it. That is just my personal experience.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with drinking diet sodas. For a change up try diet iced tea.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    oops
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    "When you drink Coke, you drink the blood of people."

However, the company started to illegally extract millions of liters of clean water. According to the local people, Coca-Cola was extracting 1.5 million liters per day. The water level started to fall, dropping from 150 to 500 feet below the earth’s surface. Tribals and farmers complained that water storage and supply were being adversely affected by indiscriminate installation of bore wells for tapping groundwater, resulting in serious consequences for crop cultivation. The wells were also threatening traditional drinking-water sources, ponds and water tanks, waterways and canals. When the company failed to comply with the panchayat request for details, a show-cause notice was served and the license was cancelled. Coca-Cola unsuccessfully tried to bribe the panchayat president A. Krishnan, with 300 million rupees."

source: http://zcomm.org/zcommentary/coke-pepsi-and-the-politics-of-food-safety-by-vandana2-shiva/

hth!

ps if you're really jonesing for a soda, get a plain seltzer and sweeten it with a little juice, the best and freshest you can afford.

Umm, my can of Diet Pepsi says its bottled in "Purchase, NY." Is that close to India?:huh: Hey MFP peeps from NY--how's the environment there? Good? I thought so. My (and everyone else outside of India) soft drink consumption has no "Indian blood" in it. That's just fear-mongering propaganda.

And for the "OMG! Aspartame is the evil badness" folk--there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum just for you to read through, if you'd like to know what it really is and how it metabolizes.

just because you might not care doesn't make it not true. Look up food politics. It's so much more connected than you might imagine. The water it takes just to make the bottle is enough for a person each day. And how many bottles?

It's not fear mongering, it's an illustrative story that helps people make cognizant choices. You do what you like, it makes no difference to me.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options

That's funny, because I've drank it for the majority of my life yet my waist is the last place I gain
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    Mmmm... sweet, sweet Diet Blood of the People! :drinker:
    Lolz
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    Coke zero is toxic and can cause brain damage!
    This is indeed true

If you have PKU disease.

However, given PKU testing is performed on all newborns in western countries and is a genetic disorder and those who have it have to follow a very strict diet from birth - nobody on MFP who is or ever was a drinker of coke is at any risk.

For everybody else,it is not toxic.
    Like all foods, there may be some people with allergies or reactions to it but this does not make it toxic or dangerous for everybody else.
    Just like there are people who have anaphylactic reactions to nuts or seafood or kiwi fruit - but that doesn't make them toxic or dangerous for everybody else.
  • jimmy28
    jimmy28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to soda as well. What it does to me if I drink it like an addict..my legs swell, it increases my acid reflux, it makes me crave sweets, and keeps me up more at night. Being tired, having feet and ankle pain from swelling and feeling sick from acid reflux keeps me from exercising enough, resting enough and makes me more likely to eat bad. What I've done is to only allow myself to have it at work. I drink it with my mid-morning snack, lunch, and sometimes evening before leaving. Breakfast, dinner and all other times in between besides work I drink water. It fixed all of the above problems..so yeah..moderation.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Why are you opposed to diet soda? When consumed in moderation there is ZERO research showing it will have negative impact on weight loss. It is zero calories.

Caffeine is actually a good weight loss supplement. Again moderation is key but caffeine can be quite beneficial when losing weight. It can help performance in workouts and give energy when you are feeling sluggish.

there are plenty of things that provide caffeine and also provide nutritive benefit, unlike sodas, though. I drink coffee every day! It's organic, fair trade and locally roasted. When I can find good dark chocolate, I will srsly put a hurt on it. Thankfully, I can't find it often!

very true.

But more about how coke zero deposits fat in your midsection please.

every time someone opens up a can of coke zero, every donut, candy bar, pie, container of ice cream, gummy bear, and chocolate chip cookie for a 5 mile radius perks up their ears and zones in on the drinker. between sips from the can (or cup), the aforementioned foods all take turns leaping into the drinker's mouth and diving down their throats.

there have also been scattered reports of people becoming overcome by sweets and baked goods, duct taped to their chairs, and dumped into giant vats of pudding, creme brulee custard, and pulverized flan, with the only option for survival to eat their way out.
  • cjudesaenz
    cjudesaenz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    MMMMM DIET DR. PEPPER (In my best Homer Simpson Voice)..... It got me through FNP grad school I maintained a 4.0.... I think school damaged my brain more than the damn sodas!!!
  • Tugar4440
    Tugar4440 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Sunkist. Has caffeine and tastes great. Can't stand any diet colas. Then of course Diet Mountain Dew also. Never had a problem with it, but the I use a big mug, fill it with ice first, then diet soda.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Just have a regular Coke every once in a while.

Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm... Coke...

:heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • Txglitter
    Txglitter Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread created some passion lol. All of the above mentioned (good and Bad) aside It really comes down to moderation. If you already know it creates addictive behavior in you maybe it is better to stay away. If you can have it a couple times a week there is no harm in it. I think anything that creates addictive behavior could sabotage your efforts. I do not think soda is the root of all evil. No one knows you and your body like you do. What works for me might not work for you so follow your success. I drink 2 diet sodas a day, but I am okay with that. If I don't have it no big deal, so I don't sweat it. I however discovered I LOVE blueberry red bull...I love it A LOT too much lol. I had to say good bye I can't drink it. I could literally drink it until my heart exploded ;) So...Be good to you. If you can handle a soda or two on your terms you are good to go. If you find yourself scribbling I <3 COKE ZERO on your note pad you might want to stay away. Have a great Friday. Be well.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Uh, no... Just no.

seriously eh, where do people come up with this stuff lol.

If you dont want to drink it or consume it thats fine but why make up things or believe made up things? find one actual REAL study done showing any of the claims... not some hocus pokus uber health site preaching their own dreams but a real, scientific study

Here are some "real scientific studies" in peer reviewed journals about sodas and/or artificial sweeteners:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24700203

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3772345/

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691511000639

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3317920/

This is a general article from the NIH website discussing scientific studies on soda:

http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/february2014/02032014diet.htm

As an aside, I gave up sodas (both diet and regular) at the first of the year. For me, it has been harder to give up soda than give up cigarettes. I feel much better for having done so, and I found when *I* drink soda, it makes me thirstier, and I also seem to retain fluid around my ankles when I drink it. That is just my personal experience.

yes, but they all say nothing, maybe this, maybe that, they even say it doesnt prove anything and that larger control studies would be needed and are more or less guesses.

I love their conclusion from this article http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/february2014/02032014diet.htm "Notably, obese adults who consumed diet drinks ate significantly more snacks than those who had sugared drinks. Those who drank diet beverages consumed 131 calories per day in salty snacks and 243 in sweet snacks, compared to 107 and 213, respectively, for obese adults who drank sugared drinks."

wow, go figure, overwheight people who thought they were saving a few calories ate a few more calories in snacks. a whole 50 calories extra in snacks per day... ... as opposed to how many less calories in pop?

and this "Controlled studies would be needed to confirm these results. "

gee, do ya think. seems highly scientific to me lol
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Tastes great!
    Less filling!
    Tastes great!
    Less filling!

Good idea. Let's all switch to beer! Fizzy, cold, tasty. No caffeine, but you can't have everything.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Laughably wrong.

Also, DP10 ftw.
  • mad_lifting_runner
    Options
    QFT.... All of this.... I drink 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi a day and it has not affected my weight loss, maintenance, overall well being one bit.... Best of Luck though......

Same here! Every day at the pizza buffet I have at least 4 diet cokes (you know, because I'm trying to watch my figure) and it hasn't slowed me down one bit! :)