Anyone go to Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So I am happy there, if you chose not to join, that's no skin off my nose.
    I would hope not. Why would it be? What an odd thing to say.

Not if you're educated on idioms...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/no_skin_off_one's_nose

I could be wrong, but I don't think that is the point he/she was getting at.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    skip the pizza and just workout Great deal at $10 a month

Indeed.

No one forces you to eat the pizza and bagels.

What people don't understand is that the PF's are independently owned which means that depending on the one you go to there may or may not be an array of equipment. While the one I go to doesn't have a squat rack or olympic bars I was in one in Providence RI that did. And again, with the deadlifts it depends on the PF owners. I see people doing deadlifts in my gym. I've done them as the owner and the manager was walking by and no one kicked me out or told me to stop. Also there are a LOT of really fit, ripped guys that go to my gym. In fact I saw a few when I was there today.

It's not the gym's fault if someone goes there consistently and fails to lose weight or get ripped or whatever their goal is it's the individuals fault. I'm sure there are plenty of people who go to Golds or one of those other expensive gyms and they just keep getting fatter and fatter because they're eating whatever they want and not expending the energy to lose weight. It has nothing to do with a gym and what equipment they do or don' t have. It has everything to do with the individual.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    A gym that gives you pizza, and tootsie rolls?

IN!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    No. No. No NO NO NO NO NO.

No.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I go, I have a workout that someone set up for me, that would work at any gym. Eventually I will end up at a gym that has more focus on weightlifting, but for now, planet fitness works for me. I think it's a great gym for beginners, they have people there that will show you how to use the equipment etc. Is it the prefect gym for everyone? Definitely not. Is it good for beginners and people on a budget, yes
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    One of the owners of a PF explained to me once that the pizza/bagel days is to show that you don't have to give up bad food but you can have it in moderation and still have results.

I go to a local non-PF gym that has a "members day" usually the last tuesday of the month and they have a food spread. The only reason I hate working out those days is because I go at the end of the day and the food stinks up the gym.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Indeed it's not. But I'll ignore the rank condescension lest this thread be derailed. Back to discussing PF. Thanks!
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Their judgemental, even though they claim not to be...just look at their commercials.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Indeed it's not. But I'll ignore the rank condescension lest this thread be derailed. Back to discussing PF. Thanks!
    um....quite confusing to say the least.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I go to PF and I like it alright. It's cheap, the hours are convenient and I can make do with the equipment they have on hand right now; mostly dumbbells and cable machines but I can substitute dumbbells for some of the barbbell exercises. In the near future I would like to check out other gyms in the area because my PF has Smith machines but they do not have a proper rack for me to do squats but much more than $10 per month does not fit my budget right now. I am aware that some PFs get their panties in a wad over people doing deadlifts and whatnot but some of the regulars at my do them and nobody says anything. Yes we do have a "lunk alarm"(so effin stupid if you ask me) but I've never heard it go off and I don't even think it's hooked up. I don't really get the bagel and pizza nights but I also don't participate and nobody is gonna hold a gun to your head and force pizza down your throat. Of course they have cardio machines galore as well as nautilus type weight machines and a "30 minute circuit". As I said, it works for me right now but I can see myself eventually growing out of it, hopefully I won't be so damn broke when that happens lol!

Do you have a Gold's gym in your area? My membership there is $10 a month. I have access to all the cardio and weights (including barbells and squat rack/cage). I can't use the tanning beds (don't want to), cardio theater (again, no desire), or classes (oh well), or bring a friend, but it's still cheap for good, clean equipment and no lunk alarm.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    we were members but quit. the equipment was ok. the people there kind of scary, the manager was creepy adn the music was WAY too loud. We've joined a more expensive gym with a pool and better equipment. Like it way better even if it costs more and we have to go further. if you're on a limited budget and need a cardio work out it's ok though.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I just joined so I will be giving it a try and see how it goes!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I was going to, because there is one so close and 24 hrs and $10 is wonderful. But I don't think they'd let me do glute bridges with the barbells, and that's the main reason I'd need a gym instead of what I have at home.

So I just got a barbell set :D

And I'm getting a little pool this summer for my physical therapy routine, mainly (although I might do some water aerobics since I could). Woot! With our hot summers I won't have to worry about spending an arm and a leg for the stupid cold indoor Y pool, and it's not like I could even get in theirs in the winter, so no difference there.
  • hotlipsliz
    Options
    I go to PF and I like it alright. It's cheap, the hours are convenient and I can make do with the equipment they have on hand right now; mostly dumbbells and cable machines but I can substitute dumbbells for some of the barbbell exercises. In the near future I would like to check out other gyms in the area because my PF has Smith machines but they do not have a proper rack for me to do squats but much more than $10 per month does not fit my budget right now. I am aware that some PFs get their panties in a wad over people doing deadlifts and whatnot but some of the regulars at my do them and nobody says anything. Yes we do have a "lunk alarm"(so effin stupid if you ask me) but I've never heard it go off and I don't even think it's hooked up. I don't really get the bagel and pizza nights but I also don't participate and nobody is gonna hold a gun to your head and force pizza down your throat. Of course they have cardio machines galore as well as nautilus type weight machines and a "30 minute circuit". As I said, it works for me right now but I can see myself eventually growing out of it, hopefully I won't be so damn broke when that happens lol!

Do you have a Gold's gym in your area? My membership there is $10 a month. I have access to all the cardio and weights (including barbells and squat rack/cage). I can't use the tanning beds (don't want to), cardio theater (again, no desire), or classes (oh well), or bring a friend, but it's still cheap for good, clean equipment and no lunk alarm.
    ]
    Actually, I used to belong to a Gold's(I joined when they had a special and just paid for my entire year when I joined) and for some reason I thought they were one of the more expensive options. I believe I do have one that's not too far from me(I no longer live near my old gym) so I'll have to take another look at their rates and what they have to offer. I only care about the weights and cardio machines, some classes would be nice but I could care less about tanning or the cardio theater. Thanks!
  • jdzane
    jdzane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was wondering, of the people who go to Planet Fitness, do any of you have Garmin heart rate monitors? I know the ellipticals say they are "Polar heart rate ready" but my sportline HRM syncs just fine with the machines. I'm looking to upgrade to a higher level HRM, and I was wondering if Garmins would sync or not. I live in a city, so I get a fair bit of interference from power lines, which is why I was looking into Garmins, but it's more important to me if it'll sync to the machine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ThreadNecroCArd.jpg
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I was wondering, of the people who go to Planet Fitness, do any of you have Garmin heart rate monitors? I know the ellipticals say they are "Polar heart rate ready" but my sportline HRM syncs just fine with the machines. I'm looking to upgrade to a higher level HRM, and I was wondering if Garmins would sync or not. I live in a city, so I get a fair bit of interference from power lines, which is why I was looking into Garmins, but it's more important to me if it'll sync to the machine.

I had a Polar F7 that synced with all of their machines. I don't know about Garmin.
  • jdzane
    jdzane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry i hadn't noticed how old the tread was, google pulled it up for me.
  • dlhitch
    dlhitch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to go until yesterday. I got yelled at for dropping my 50 lb dumbbells from about 12 inches after bench pressing. The "judgment free zone" is a lie. The management is hostile towards people who workout with free weights.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I went a few times and the dress code says no tank tops and I'm opposed to the candy bowls and free bagels and pizza, so I give my money elsewhere that has free weights. If you are just starting or don't want to lift weights it's probably fine.