Thigh-Gap Thursday

Options

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    OP, you may be having issues with your workout pants because of the way your washing them. For most, fabric softener isn't recommended. ( flip the tag over and on the label it usually states not to use any) I'm guessing it breaks down the fabric over time. I've purchased expensive brands down to Walmart Danskin brand, and found that they all hold up pretty much the same. Maybe try just washing with regular tide laundry soap and that's it, no downy or snuggle softeners :-)
    I'm betting your thighs look just fine and this is more of an issue with the garmets and not your thighs :-)

Fabric softeners also reduce the absorbency, which is why you should never use them on your towels. All they are doing is laying a fine film of oil on the fabrics.

Yes! I don't even buy them anymore because I've realized that its just not necessary and damages certain things. I'm guessing that this might be the ops issue, and has nothing to do with her thighs or lack of thigh gap. I don't have a thigh gap, probably never will, and that's fine with me :-)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Get some bike shorts with a chamois.

Please elaborate.
    On average women even, bike shorts with a chamois "create" a thigh gap.

Thank you. I was hoping this was a suggestion that might avoid wear and tear on the pants during the kinds of workouts I do, which is mostly walking, hiking, stair climbing and other things where the thighs are in close contact for mutliple repititions. I guess if I got on the elliptical my feet would be forced farther apart by the pedals but I HATE the elliptical with a passion. Hopefully the ladies at the store were right and it was truly just a manufacturer error. I told the girl I'd wear them one more time after sewing, and if my sewing patching hacks caused knots that are uncomfortable I will take them in to switch, but I want to give them one last chance just b/c I wasn't planning a mall trip anytime soon. I did notice that their styles have a particular kind of sewing in the inner thigh area that is at once multiple and very very flat which I can only guess was designed for both strenght and smoothness?
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    1966881_632811416791777_1873417835_n.png

My kinda thigh gap!
    :love:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    OP, you may be having issues with your workout pants because of the way your washing them. For most, fabric softener isn't recommended. ( flip the tag over and on the label it usually states not to use any) I'm guessing it breaks down the fabric over time. I've purchased expensive brands down to Walmart Danskin brand, and found that they all hold up pretty much the same. Maybe try just washing with regular tide laundry soap and that's it, no downy or snuggle softeners :-)
    I'm betting your thighs look just fine and this is more of an issue with the garmets and not your thighs :-)

Fabric softeners also reduce the absorbency, which is why you should never use them on your towels. All they are doing is laying a fine film of oil on the fabrics.

Yes! I don't even buy them anymore because I've realized that its just not necessary and damages certain things. I'm guessing that this might be the ops issue, and has nothing to do with her thighs or lack of thigh gap. I don't have a thigh gap, probably never will, and that's fine with me :-)

Actually now that you mention it we havent' bought fabric softener in awhile. Mostly because I began having skin issues and so I eliminated anything not absolutely necessary that might contact my skin. That was long before I bought these pants so it couldn't be the cause of this problem and I do use tide. Thank you for your input, because if I do go back to fabric softener (which is less likely the more I noticed the towel thing as well,) at least I will know to be careful with my workout clothes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    1966881_632811416791777_1873417835_n.png

My kinda thigh gap!
    :love:

That's the kinda thigh gap that makes me sad. I remember posting that pic long ago and lamenting the fact that there were no mashed potatoes and gravy filling that gap to make the magic complete. I hope that's original recipe. That's my favorite kind. I KNOW the extra crispy is supposed to be the thing but I'm still partial to the original recipe.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I never understood the obsession, but after my BMI hit about 22, it was just there. It actually is pretty nice. No thigh scraping in short skirts, no more rips in my jeans from excess wear in the fabric where it was chafing. It's still not worth obsessing over, in either direction. I don't condemn anyone who has one, but jealously staring longingly into the abyss between someone elses thighs is also pretty creepy.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    lmao..some of these replies like sponge bob and the chicken:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I never understood the obsession, but after my BMI hit about 22, it was just there. It actually is pretty nice. No thigh scraping in short skirts, no more rips in my jeans from excess wear in the fabric where it was chafing. It's still not worth obsessing over, in either direction. I don't condemn anyone who has one, but jealously staring longingly into the abyss between someone elses thighs is also pretty creepy.

lol. yeah it is. as is being angry at someone for whatever nature just kinda put there that one has no real control over.

but you should see my pants right now. it's sad how threadbare my cords are in that area. my jeans got pilled there, it's just a mess. can't wait to not have this problem ruining all my clothes. and it's just a feeling I'm not used to since I've lived most of my adult life without such intense rub in that area. it's really uncomfortable and strange for me to feel that.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    lmao..some of these replies like sponge bob and the chicken:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

inorite. meanwhile i'm on pins and needles wondering when that poster will follow up with the sponge bob thigh targeting workout.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I STILL don't see why there's all the fuss about a thigh gap.
    I never notice it.
    Or the absence thereof.
    That doesn't make my list of desirable or undesirable attributes when I look at a girl.
    Nice face, well-proportioned figure, and clothing, are the first things I notice.
    Visible tattoos are a detriment, but not a killer.
    Then, after saying 'hello,' comes personality, good vocabulary, and self-confidence without ego.
    The big TG is totally immaterial.

I think this is more about a woman wanting a thigh gap for *herself* because she likes the way it looks and/or feels...not because her man (or woman) wants a thigh gap on her.

No wonder you had so many calls for holding, mister...it's not always about the "grabber", but the grabbee...ijs (this part is totally meant in a jovial manner, not trying to offend).:smile:

Edited to add: I don't have an opinion one way or the other about thigh gap. I definitely don't have one and never will. This is kind of a really odd place to request photos of gaps between thighs, though. :huh: :ohwell:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Oh my cute. I had just put a pair of pants, I'd cut into shorts in a bag to take to the trash because I had to cut them due to chub rub and then was uncomfortable with where they were in length and how shredded they looked.

Then I found this pic while looking for what happens to pants from chub rub and lo and behold a solution and a super cute one at that. My cutoffs are black smooth waxed denim material though, so I'm not sure I'd want to do white lace on them. I'm gonna have to think over some ideas.

But yeah I took them out of the bag and threw them in the wash to prepare them for this DIY hack. Hope it's cute. Hope it's wearable at my age. I'm thinking with demure colors on the lace and worn with tights also in tones and maybe like with loafers or ankle boots all in tone on tone colors it might fly. We'll see. So far I'm thinking with the black charcoals and greys, or wine's and golds.

summer-028.jpg
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ummm compression garments? Thigh gap stalking. Try lifting. That is all
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Compression garments are not what you seem to be imagining. It's workout wear. With uses specific to working out, not about slimming, smashing, or smoothing for appearance's sake. Here's a link to help you understand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_garment

Stalking?
    inconceivable.jpg

I already know lifting quite well. I don't have to "try" something I already know how to do.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I STILL don't see why there's all the fuss about a thigh gap.
    I never notice it.
    Or the absence thereof.
    That doesn't make my list of desirable or undesirable attributes when I look at a girl.
    Nice face, well-proportioned figure, and clothing, are the first things I notice.
    Visible tattoos are a detriment, but not a killer.
    Then, after saying 'hello,' comes personality, good vocabulary, and self-confidence without ego.
    The big TG is totally immaterial.

I think this is more about a woman wanting a thigh gap for *herself* because she likes the way it looks and/or feels...not because her man (or woman) wants a thigh gap on her.

No wonder you had so many calls for holding, mister...it's not always about the "grabber", but the grabbee...ijs (this part is totally meant in a jovial manner, not trying to offend).:smile:

Edited to add: I don't have an opinion one way or the other about thigh gap. I definitely don't have one and never will. This is kind of a really odd place to request photos of gaps between thighs, though. :huh: :ohwell:

Believe me I hemmed and hawed about whether I should be asking in Success or here in Motivation and support. I felt like success is usually used as the place where one posts their OWN successes not asking others to post about theirs, so then I realized that since I am looking for motivation and my pants have driven me crazy lately this is what I was looking for..."motivation" in the form of pic's and "support" in the form of anyone who could relate. Oddly it was quite easy to find a person who could relate outside of this site, as the writer of that blog featuring the lace DIY shorts I stumbled upon expressed very similar laments to mine, yet people here seem to be claiming I am so off the wall with my feelings/concerns?

I guess what I'm finding a little odd and out of place is naysayers and thigh shaming as labeling as ED evidentia for people who actually do have thigh gaps since the consensus seems to be that it is something which we cannot control. I find this totally out of place in the section of the site reserved for "motivation and support".
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Compression garments are not what you seem to be imagining. It's workout wear. With uses specific to working out, not about slimming, smashing, or smoothing for appearance's sake. Here's a link to help you understand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_garment

Stalking?
    inconceivable.jpg

I already know lifting quite well. I don't have to "try" something I already know how to do.

I think she was talking about compression pants/capris when it comes to workout wear. The fabric is a lot different than (for example) yoga pants. Most of the ones I have are from Old Navy and even after a year there is no wear in the inner thigh area.

Underarmor-Compression-Capris-SerafinoSays.com_.png
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Stalking?
    inconceivable.jpg

I think she was talking about compression pants/capris when it comes to workout wear. The fabric is a lot different than (for example) yoga pants. Most of the ones I have are from Old Navy and even after a year there is no wear in the inner thigh area.

Exactly what I was referring to. :flowerforyou:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Stalking?
    inconceivable.jpg

I'm kind of surprised. I have some pretty big thighs and never had an issue with wear and tear.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Stalking?
    inconceivable.jpg

I'm kind of surprised. I have some pretty big thighs and never had an issue with wear and tear.

You might have missed it but earlier I wrote how when I went shopping at the same store for other styles the worker was surprised as well. She thinks they had a manufacturer defect because hers and her coworkers have lasted for two years at least and one of them is as thick in the thighs as me. So she invited me to bring them back for an exchange even though I've had mine for at least six months and have no receipt. I'm gonna try them with the sad sewing job I did first though.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    You know..."thigh gap" is what I call my vagina now.

:flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    WOW! I just googled the Old Navy one's and they cost like a third of the one's I bought. THANKS! I'm gonna try a pair from them and if they are the same quality and amount of pressing I might pick up a few pair since they have such cute styles too! Of course the girls at the other store assured me their brand is especially special but what else can they say right? Who knows though, I know so many brands put so much sciency effort into having the "best" fabrics so we shall see. Defintiely in love with the styles at the store I go to but these Old Navy one's have decent styles too and for a third of the price so the quality will be the deciding factor.

Of course I am drawn to all the ones with the dreaded "horizontal" lines and patterns but who cares they are so cute!

ETA: Oh, apparently you can't post pics directly from the Old Navy website. Wizards!