Eating clean and healthy

Options

Replies

• sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    ??
    2574445-4236261275-okaay.gif

i still dont get what the gif is referring to lol someone use big kid words :p
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    I think its great that this plate takes into account beans as a top protien and mentions limiting red meat and dairy something many people dont realize they should be doing
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think its great that this plate takes into account beans as a top protien and mentions limiting red meat and dairy something many people dont realize they should be doing
    Why should we be doing that?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    Seek information from a trusted source that is not trying to sell anything. I recommend NutritionSource from the Harvard School of Public Health. It's not commercial and is updated frequently to reflect new knowledge.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

Their "Healthy Eating Plate" graphic is a great visualization for a healthy diet.

37a280a5-cd7c-43f4-af54-c60e08be97f9_zpsa9bb5934.jpg
    I'm surprised it actually says "limit refined grains"...wish it said limit refined carbohydrates, but this is a start.
    And otherwise, not a bad approach. Wonder how many of us come close to the amount of fruits and vegetables recommended. Or otherwise get close to this.
    Harvard is notoriously biased against animal products and apparently potatoes.
    My own plate would be heavier on the fats then their recommendation. Their limitation of dairy being part of that.
    But yay for limiting refined carbs.
    Well, whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta are refined grains , which they recommend but then go on to say limited refined grains....they say to limit trans fats then recommend canola oil that have trans fats in every bottle........they really haven't a clue what they're talking about.
    I suspect they are defining refined grains a bit differently than you are.
    There is no grey area, grains are either refined or they're not. They say to eat whole grain.....I could give examples of whole grains but <i'm sure you know what they look like and they're not bread or pasta........what do you think they mean by whole grain? to me it reads eat refined grains with no mention of a single whole grain product sans the brown rice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Seek information from a trusted source that is not trying to sell anything. I recommend NutritionSource from the Harvard School of Public Health. It's not commercial and is updated frequently to reflect new knowledge.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

Their "Healthy Eating Plate" graphic is a great visualization for a healthy diet.

37a280a5-cd7c-43f4-af54-c60e08be97f9_zpsa9bb5934.jpg
    I'm surprised it actually says "limit refined grains"...wish it said limit refined carbohydrates, but this is a start.
    And otherwise, not a bad approach. Wonder how many of us come close to the amount of fruits and vegetables recommended. Or otherwise get close to this.
    Harvard is notoriously biased against animal products and apparently potatoes.
    My own plate would be heavier on the fats then their recommendation. Their limitation of dairy being part of that.
    But yay for limiting refined carbs.
    Well, whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta are refined grains , which they recommend but then go on to say limited refined grains....they say to limit trans fats then recommend canola oil that have trans fats in every bottle........they really haven't a clue what they're talking about.
    I suspect they are defining refined grains a bit differently than you are.
    There is no grey area, grains are either refined or they're not. They say to eat whole grain.....I could give examples of whole grains but <i'm sure you know what they look like and they're not bread or pasta........what do you think they mean by whole grain? to me it reads eat refined grains with no mention of a single whole grain product sans the brown rice.
    I think they are starting here.
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/grains.html
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I just uhm...hit my micro and macro requirements. Don't worry about what those things are unless medically I need to. I make sure I wash things that need to be washed to keep germs at bay...and I train a few times a week to keep my body working efficiently. Don't need someone babying me about food choices, as that isn't how I intend to spend my life, having someone sitting on my shoulder squawking at me about what's clean and dirty. 5 second ruuuuuule!!!
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    do you want the personal health reasons or enivormental? :p so so many reasons fat, chelestoral, increased risk of heart disease, prostate cancer . heres some quick info A compound found in red meat (and even used as an additive in some energy drinks) called carnitine has been found to cause atherosclerosis, the hardening or clogging of the arteries, according to a study published in the journal Nature Medicine. The research, which included more than 2,500 vegans, vegetarians, and omnivore cardiac patients, suggests that carnitine converts to a heart-damaging compound, trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO), via bacteria in the intestine. Researchers found that increased carnitine levels predicted increased risks for cardiovascular disease. Which is for some reason marketed for working out *ugh
    A study from Harvard School of Public Health found an association with red meat consumption and increased risk of a shortened lifespan.The meat industry refers to it as “lean finely textured beef (LFTB),” but the public knows it as pink slime. This meat additive contains fatty bits of leftover meat that’s heated, spun to remove the fat, and then treated with ammonia gas to kill bacteria. It’s then shipped off to grocery stores and meat packers, where the slime is added to ground beef (70% of supermarket ground beef contains the additive).
    And the ammonia treatment may allow pathogens into the food supply.
    Thats just the tip of the ice burg also look up the UN's studies on the live stock industry and climate change the UN has basically begging nations to start moving away from eating so much animal products because our consumption is destroying the planet, although that aspect of it isnt directly related to your physical health so many here may not care i do think we should care for our planet for future generations.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    do you want the personal health reasons or enivormental? :p so so many reasons fat, chelestoral, increased risk of heart disease, prostate cancer . heres some quick info A compound found in red meat (and even used as an additive in some energy drinks) called carnitine has been found to cause atherosclerosis, the hardening or clogging of the arteries, according to a study published in the journal Nature Medicine. The research, which included more than 2,500 vegans, vegetarians, and omnivore cardiac patients, suggests that carnitine converts to a heart-damaging compound, trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO), via bacteria in the intestine. Researchers found that increased carnitine levels predicted increased risks for cardiovascular disease. Which is for some reason marketed for working out *ugh
    A study from Harvard School of Public Health found an association with red meat consumption and increased risk of a shortened lifespan.The meat industry refers to it as “lean finely textured beef (LFTB),” but the public knows it as pink slime. This meat additive contains fatty bits of leftover meat that’s heated, spun to remove the fat, and then treated with ammonia gas to kill bacteria. It’s then shipped off to grocery stores and meat packers, where the slime is added to ground beef (70% of supermarket ground beef contains the additive).
    Thats just the tip of the ice burg also look up the UN's studies on the live stock industry and climate change the UN has basically begging nations to start moving away from eating so much animal products because our consumption is destroying the planet, although that aspect of it isnt directly related to your physical health so many here may not care i do think we should care for our planet for future generations.
    I don't think they care about any of that. Just the now fairly well debunked lipid hypothesis. Cancer? I doubt they are considering that at all.
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    I don't think they care about any of that. Just the now fairly well debunked lipid hypothesis. Cancer? I doubt they are considering that at all.

Who do you mean by they?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Who do you mean by they?
    The people who made the pretty little plate (i.e. the folks at Harvard).
  • sarajenivieve
    Options

Who do you mean by they?

I'd hope they are taking some of their own studies into account, as well as other studies highlighting the health down falls associated with red meats. i know they wont be looking at the UN study i mention it because i think regular consumers should be aware these are all secondary benefits for me and none orginally played a role in me giving it up (ok fat played a bit of a role lol) but i find a lot of these plates and pyramids focus wayyy to much on meat which is a debatable issue and ignore or glaze over other healthy foods like beans,tempeh,lengumes(sp?) etc so im glad this plate is a step in a better direction imo
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Who do you mean by they?

I'd hope they are taking some of their own studies into account, as well as other studies highlighting the health down falls associated with red meats. i know they wont be looking at the UN study i mention it because i think regular consumers should be aware these are all secondary benefits for me and none orginally played a role in me giving it up (ok fat played a bit of a role lol) but i find a lot of these plates and pyramids focus wayyy to much on meat which is a debatable issue and ignore or glaze over other healthy foods like beans,tempeh,lengumes(sp?) etc so im glad this plate is a step in a better direction imo
    legumes

and tempeh? blech What of all the GMO soy? It's what...90% GMO? this is somehow better than meat?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    I like you enthusiasm, very passionate for sure but this is pretty much vegan propaganda........I'll leave this here for you to read.....I just adressed your first point, not going to get into the rest.......they have all been debunked...do a search here or some research, it'll help you understand nutrition a little better because most vegans don't it seems.

http://www.anh-usa.org/latest-red-meat-study-doubly-flawed/
  • sarajenivieve
    Options

Who do you mean by they?

legumes

and tempeh? blech

honestly im not general a huge tempeh fan either but once in a while when its done right it can be really good. im a big fan of soy protiens like tofu i think is the easiest to cook with, beans you can do a lot with once you start learning what to do there are a lot of great plant protiens
  • salbunnylettuceleafyexley
    Options
    i used to avoid certain food such as bread, potato, pasta, sausage etc, but i've come to find that diets are a lot easier to stick to if u incorporate these "bad foods" the weight may come off slower but u can stick to diet for a lot longer, if u have too clean a diet, its gonna be hell, i've only lost 4 pounds in 6 wks, but its goin in right direction ( was on a diet which involved living on raw veg, low fat cream cheese, ryvitas, finn crackers, ricecakes, that sort of thing and it got very borin and i lost nothin, though did similar diet a few yrs ago and low 7 pounds), and i allow myself chips/fries twice a wk, eggs, sausage a couple of times a wk, dry toast, pasta, bacon/ham that sort of thin, its all about portion sizes and moderation, if u deny yourself certain foods, u are less likely to crave them
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Who do you mean by they?

legumes

and tempeh? blech

honestly im not general a huge tempeh fan either but once in a while when its done right it can be really good. im a big fan of soy protiens like tofu i think is the easiest to cook with, beans you can do a lot with once you start learning what to do there are a lot of great plant protiens
    but 90% or more of soy is GMO. Hows that better?
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    I like you enthusiasm, very passionate for sure but this is pretty much vegan propaganda........I'll leave this here for you to read.....I just adressed your first point, not going to get into the rest.......they have all been debunked...do a search here or some research, it'll help you understand nutrition a little better because most vegans don't it seems.

the source for those are not a vegan source so it isnt propaganda but i do understand your hesitance. There are many more studies also finding high red meat intakes to be linked with poor health my post is only a small bit of info. In the broad scheme there are many other sources of nutrients that are just as if not better for your body and head over heels better for the planet. Also thank you for the compliment i was a non vegan wellness coach in college and have studied nutrition on and off for years i just havent had the money to do the exams.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have always taken the no potatoes as a vegetable to mean that they are to be considered on the other side of the plate - as a substitute for a whole grain.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

the source for those are not a vegan source so it isnt propaganda but i do understand your hesitance. There are many more studies also finding high red meat intakes to be linked with poor health my post is only a small bit of info. In the broad scheme there are many other sources of nutrients that are just as if not better for your body and head over heels better for the planet. Also thank you for the compliment i was a non vegan wellness coach in college and have studied nutrition on and off for years i just havent had the money to do the exams.

Define high intake.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    panic.gif