Scales say no weight gain but I look fatter?

Options
124»

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Thanks again :) Is there a chart that can tell me what measurements I should be or what is considered healthy? I tried looking online but its a bit confusing.
    Not that I know of, because measurements are really dependent on a ton of other factors (height, build, body composition, even your personal preference, etc.). Where would you like to be? How do you want to look when you're done gaining?

(If you look at the fourth picture in my profile - binkini pic) I would love to have a wider stomach/hip area and bigger thighs. As you can see in the picture my hip bones are still a bit visible and I have slim thighs.

This will sound stupid but I would love to have the thighs and hips of beyonce.
    That doesn't sound stupid! She's amazing. You can probably find her measurements on the internet, but unless you're the same height and body composition, they won't look the same on you. That might give you some kind of a ballpark to aim for, though.

Consider this...Beyonce has a lot of lower body muscle. She doesn't necessarily look "muscular" (not in the same way that female athletes do, anyway), but her lower body is SOLID. At some point in the future, if you're comfortable, you might want to consider doing some kind of resistance training to get a body like hers.

I like the sound of resistance training. I think once I have gained more weight then I can look at "toning" it. in the future

If you do the resistance training *while* you're gaining weight, you'll end up with a better outcome.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks again :) Is there a chart that can tell me what measurements I should be or what is considered healthy? I tried looking online but its a bit confusing.
    Not that I know of, because measurements are really dependent on a ton of other factors (height, build, body composition, even your personal preference, etc.). Where would you like to be? How do you want to look when you're done gaining?

(If you look at the fourth picture in my profile - binkini pic) I would love to have a wider stomach/hip area and bigger thighs. As you can see in the picture my hip bones are still a bit visible and I have slim thighs.

This will sound stupid but I would love to have the thighs and hips of beyonce.
    That doesn't sound stupid! She's amazing. You can probably find her measurements on the internet, but unless you're the same height and body composition, they won't look the same on you. That might give you some kind of a ballpark to aim for, though.

Consider this...Beyonce has a lot of lower body muscle. She doesn't necessarily look "muscular" (not in the same way that female athletes do, anyway), but her lower body is SOLID. At some point in the future, if you're comfortable, you might want to consider doing some kind of resistance training to get a body like hers.

I like the sound of resistance training. I think once I have gained more weight then I can look at "toning" it. in the future

If you do the resistance training *while* you're gaining weight, you'll end up with a better outcome.

Omg hats off to you. You maam are a genius! Now that's a knowledgable response. :flowerforyou:
  • Owlibee
    Owlibee Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Would a "bike" machine help? - the ones you sit on and ride like a bike- no idea what they are called

I am only asking as my brother has one he is giving away. Does this class as cardio though? or would it class as resistance if I set the level hard enough?
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    Would a "bike" machine help? - the ones you sit on and ride like a bike- no idea what they are called

I am only asking as my brother has one he is giving away. Does this class as cardio though? or would it class as resistance if I set the level hard enough?

Use this link it will help!!!

http://bit.ly/1tI8Ova

That also works for telling you if its cardio or resistance.
  • Owlibee
    Options

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

It helped me out when I first started. I cranked up the resistance really high, and got a good workout for my legs. The bike will be a combo of resistance and cardio, which is really anything that gets your heart pumping. You'll need to eat more on the days you do this to remain in a calorie surplus.

Free bike is great! I would take it in a heartbeat.

The resistance training will give you that firm but feminine shape you're after. Beyonce, I think, is an excellent example of someone who does resistance training to maintain a really gorgeous feminine physique.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

Oh sure anytime...
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

It helped me out when I first started. I cranked up the resistance really high, and got a good workout for my legs. The bike will be a combo of resistance and cardio, which is really anything that gets your heart pumping. You'll need to eat more on the days you do this to remain in a calorie surplus.

The resistance training will give you that firm but feminine shape you're after. Beyonce, I think, is an excellent example of someone who does resistance training to maintain a really gorgeous feminine physique.

I think you need to post some pics so we can all see your firm and feminine shape. lol :smile:
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If I was you I'd measure waist, chest, thighs and upper arms and just continue eating more than you used to. Any form of exercise you will end up burning more calories, meaning you would have to eat even more. I'd suggest just concentrate on eating more until you are no longer underweight then decide where to go from there. If u don't want to weight train etc then don't.
  • Owlibee
    Options

Excellent :) Free bike it is then! I have calorie shakes that I can drink to help me on the days I do the resistance and I am guessing my appetite will increase after exercise.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.

No fat weighs more than muscle.
    Have you ever seen a light fat person..? I think not so that's a no brainer .. lol:bigsmile:

Actually one is more dense than the other. :wink:
    1lb = 1lb
  • Owlibee
    Options

Have you ever seen a light fat person..? I think not so that's a no brainer .. lol:bigsmile:

1lb = 1lb

same as a lb of feathers or a lb of lead really
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

1lb = 1lb

Obviously I was joking :laugh:
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

1lb = 1lb

same as a lb of feathers or a lb of lead really

Ok don't strain your brain and use that link I sent ya. :drinker:
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I think you should put your scale away for a while quiet honestly. Just lift- and eat.

are you lifting at all at this point??

congrats on making progress though- I know it's a struggle!

No offence but I am not into lifting or gaining muscle/abs ect

But thanks for your input :)

Can't gain muscle if you are eating in a deficit. Biology doesn't really allow for it. But hey, if you don't want to be stronger and rather just be a smaller version of your old self, go ahead and avoid weights. :indifferent:
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

1lb = 1lb

One pound of gold weighs more than one pound of feathers because gold is weighed in troy ounces and feathers are not. So not every pound=pound. :tongue:
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think you should put your scale away for a while quiet honestly. Just lift- and eat.

lifting will just help you be strong- and help support your skeleton structure- you don't need to have "abs" or get muscley.

Everyone at minimum should have a balanced fitness program which should include a cardiovascular component and a resistance training aspect.

Thank you for the advice but I do not go to the gym or light weights ect. Its not something I want to ever do or include in my lifestyle. I am fit and healthy in all other aspects apart from being a little underweight.

OP I have read a lot of your other posts. I understand that your goals are very different from what other readers are presuming, so you may want to mention this when you write new posts on the forums so that anyone commenting has a more complete picture of your background...
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

1lb = 1lb

One pound of gold weighs more than one pound of feathers because gold is weighed in troy ounces and feathers are not. So not every pound=pound. :tongue:

If your weighing in lbs no need for ounces but who the hell is this troy anyways lol?
  • Owlibee
    Options

Can't gain muscle if you are eating in a deficit. Biology doesn't really allow for it. But hey, if you don't want to be stronger and rather just be a smaller version of your old self, go ahead and avoid weights. :indifferent:

I dont want to be smaller. I want to be larger (fatter)

I use to weigh 10 stone years ago and didnt do weights then. Stress caused me to lose two stone.
  • yakira30
    Options
    OF course you can't suck in your stomach or you will be lying to yourself :noway: Everybody knows that !!