Good Carb....Bad Carb

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Dr. William David and Dr. David Perlmutter think grain is bad. And it certainly is to those with gluten sensitivity and Celiac. I never said grains weren't considered good carbs.

I googled these 2 people. One has a site selling dietary supplements, the other a site selling books and supplements.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to differentiate between good and bad carbs in the food diary?

I am trying this "low carb" thing on my doctors advice....and I like it so far...but I sometimes go over on carbs when eating low carb approved foods, so I am assuming they are good carbs....right?

Depends on what it is ... if it's all fruit and veggies I wouldn't sweat it... I go over my carbs on the daily but they all come from fruit and veggies and nothing else.

This precisely. Not other discussion, bro-science or otherwise, is necessary.

Your diet should look like this carb-wise:
    Most carbs: veggies
    Some carbs: fruits
    Sparingly: grains and starches

In your opinion.

Pretty sure that 99% of every reply on this entire forum is someone or other's opinion. Or contains a link to someone's opinion. Just like it appears that your comment is suggesting that it is your opinion that my opinion isn't valid. Unless you are an expert of some kind...:huh:

And we all know what they say about opinions...

That aside, I think that if we are considering the OP's question which was about lowering carbohydrate intake, we don't need to go off on a discussion of every aspect under the sun of low-carbing, insulin resistance, or the good-carb/bad-carb argument. Some things, though good information, are irrelevant to the posed question. :smile:

But obviously that is just an opinion. :wink:

Actually, the OP was interested in differentiating between good carbs and bad carbs so I'm not sure why there wouldn't be a good carb/bad carb discussion.

My opinion, as you correctly identified it, was based upon the post I quoted, indicating that veggies and fruit are what OP should be concerned with. I was just saying that it isn't necessary to get mired in the discussion. The quick and dirty is that what are considered "good carbs" are primarily: veggies and fruits. And a little grains. I was opting for the quick answer to what OP wanted to know. I apologize if I was not clear.

Who doesn't consider whole grains are good carbs? I'm talking medical or nutrition experts here, not just random personal opinions.

Beats me. I didn't say it.

Dr. William David and Dr. David Perlmutter think grain is bad. And it certainly is to those with gluten sensitivity and Celiac. I never said grains weren't considered good carbs.

No, but saying that they should be eaten "sparingly" insinuates that they are bad. Same with fruit being number 2.

My argument would then be, why not prioritize veggies ahead of grains, given that veggies tend, IMO, more vitamin/mineral dense? Try to get those veggies in, because they are important, and then fill the rest with grains? Is there anything wrong with that reasoning, if, as the OP is, trying to keep the carbs down?

Yes, because it is wrong. Grains have a ton of vitamins and minerals, just as veggies/fruit.
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's kind of scary in here.... back to the original question - I've been low carb for a long time. Don't trust the food item counts on here. Most people don't really care about carbs being accurate in the sense of net carbs. If you compare true nutritional info carb/fiber wise, I'd say 9 out of 10 times it's wrong. A good way to search is to use "NET CARB" in your search, because there are a lot of things on here that low carbers have added. If you are eating a lot of that junk low carb food, there are other things besides fiber that are subtracted from your total.

Good luck! Carbs are evil for me, but I still love them on occasion!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Honestly so much of this back and forth is irrelevant to the OP's question (the answer to which is focus on total carb intake, not good vs. bad carbs, and which means not significantly exceeding your target macro even with "low-carb friendly foods"). If the OP's doctor has already recommended a low carb diet presumably because of a related medical condition, Wheat Belly, Blue Zone populations, and the diets of people eating 50% carb macros are simply irrelevant to the OP's situation. Honestly I don't know what a good carb is relative to a bad carb, but I think the title is a bit misleading anyways when you look at the OP's actual question.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I am trying this "low carb" thing on my doctors advice....and I like it so far...but I sometimes go over on carbs when eating low carb approved foods, so I am assuming they are good carbs....right?

Depends on what it is ... if it's all fruit and veggies I wouldn't sweat it... I go over my carbs on the daily but they all come from fruit and veggies and nothing else.

In your opinion.

Pretty sure that 99% of every reply on this entire forum is someone or other's opinion. Or contains a link to someone's opinion. Just like it appears that your comment is suggesting that it is your opinion that my opinion isn't valid. Unless you are an expert of some kind...:huh:

That aside, I think that if we are considering the OP's question which was about lowering carbohydrate intake, we don't need to go off on a discussion of every aspect under the sun of low-carbing, insulin resistance, or the good-carb/bad-carb argument. Some things, though good information, are irrelevant to the posed question. :smile:

Actually, the OP was interested in differentiating between good carbs and bad carbs so I'm not sure why there wouldn't be a good carb/bad carb discussion.

My opinion, as you correctly identified it, was based upon the post I quoted, indicating that veggies and fruit are what OP should be concerned with. I was just saying that it isn't necessary to get mired in the discussion. The quick and dirty is that what are considered "good carbs" are primarily: veggies and fruits. And a little grains. I was opting for the quick answer to what OP wanted to know. I apologize if I was not clear.

Who doesn't consider whole grains are good carbs? I'm talking medical or nutrition experts here, not just random personal opinions.

No, but saying that they should be eaten "sparingly" insinuates that they are bad. Same with fruit being number 2.

My argument would then be, why not prioritize veggies ahead of grains, given that veggies tend, IMO, more vitamin/mineral dense? Try to get those veggies in, because they are important, and then fill the rest with grains? Is there anything wrong with that reasoning, if, as the OP is, trying to keep the carbs down?

Whole grains have lots of nutrients. More than some vegetables, depending on which grain and which vegetable. And you only need so much of each nutrient, and too much of some can be harmful. That's what a balanced diet is about.

No they don't - why do you think the government require them to be fortified with vitamins.

Grains have a place in a diet, but don't kid yourself they are that good for you!

What can you get from grain that you cannot get from healthier alternative sources like fruit and veg for example?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
    "Take Home Messages

* For your body composition, it doesn’t matter if a carb is classified as simple or complex or if it has a high or low glycemic or insulin load or index. Only the total amount of carbs in your diet matters and this only matters because carbs contain calories.
    * For your health, the source of carbs is only relevant if you’re unhealthy. If you’re already healthy, it generally doesn’t matter."

So, this site thinks fiber does't matter at all?

Unless you've got poop problems - no, fibre doesn't matter that much. Besides most people consume more than they actually need anyway!

Fiber does more than solve poop problems, but that kind of seems like your saying fiber doesn't matter unless you aren't getting enough.

Are you talking soluble fibre or insoluble fibre?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

In your opinion.

Yes, because it is wrong. Grains have a ton of vitamins and minerals, just as veggies/fruit.
    I think you'll find that grain pales in comparison on a calorie for calorie basis, not really close at all, at least from my research.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

In your opinion.

Whole grains have lots of nutrients. More than some vegetables, depending on which grain and which vegetable. And you only need so much of each nutrient, and too much of some can be harmful. That's what a balanced diet is about.

No they don't - why do you think the government require them to be fortified with vitamins.

Grains have a place in a diet, but don't kid yourself they are that good for you!

What can you get from grain that you cannot get from healthier alternative sources like fruit and veg for example?

Must a food contain a nutrient not found in any other food to have nutrients? What government requires whole grains to be fortified?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The body processes all carbs the same way.

False.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    "Take Home Messages

* For your body composition, it doesn’t matter if a carb is classified as simple or complex or if it has a high or low glycemic or insulin load or index. Only the total amount of carbs in your diet matters and this only matters because carbs contain calories.
    * For your health, the source of carbs is only relevant if you’re unhealthy. If you’re already healthy, it generally doesn’t matter."

Unless you've got poop problems - no, fibre doesn't matter that much. Besides most people consume more than they actually need anyway!

Fiber does more than solve poop problems, but that kind of seems like your saying fiber doesn't matter unless you aren't getting enough.

I was just talking fiber in general. Both are good for you.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

In your opinion.

Must a food contain a nutrient not found in any other food to have nutrients? What government requires whole grains to be fortified?

The American Government - I'm not saying it in a bad way (in fact that's one of my beefs with the gluten free replacement products), I'm just pointing out that grains aren't as great as people seemed to say they are. A lot of people on MFP and pretty much everywhere else really over egg their benefits - which when you look at them isn't that great.

I'm not saying don't eat grains or whole wheat, I'm just saying if you do understand they are not the staple of a healthy diet, they are just calorie fillers.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    "Take Home Messages

Soluble fibre is good for you and for your stomach and gut flora. I would question how great or needed insoluble fibre is?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Carbs are carbs. They are not bad or good.
    The body processes all carbs the same way.

Total BS. Not if medically OP needs to be on low carb b'coz of her doc's advice.
    Be careful of what you post. Don't copy paste what others are saying.

Read post very carefully.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

In your opinion.

I think you'll find that grain pales in comparison on a calorie for calorie basis, not really close at all, at least from my research.

^^^^^^^ yep
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    OP: Why did your doctor recommend low carb? Because of diabetes? Insulin resistance?

If yes, the carbs you need to avoid are simple carbohydrates… i.e. cake, cookies, candy, ice cream, cheesecake, chips, juice, soda. Stick to complex carbs only… i.e. brown rice, sweet potatoes and potatoes (in moderation), non-starchy veggies, fruits, (preferably berries), quinoa.

Remember:

-Always pair carbs with a protein and fat. It helps stabilize blood sugar and prevent spikes/crashes.
    -Eat every 3-4 hours.
    -Eat between 15-30 grams of carbs per meal and no more than 15 grams of carbs per snack.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    "Take Home Messages

Soluble fibre is good for you and for your stomach and gut flora. I would question how great or needed insoluble fibre is?

Grains contain soluble fiber.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    You can do it by subtracting the fiber from the carb total - so veggies and fruit and stuff will still be high in carbs but they are also high in fiber so the net carbs is much lower and you can eat more of them - verses a bag of chips or a big bagel or a bunch of cookies will be high in carbs and not in fiber... Google it though, you'll find a lot of info. Hope that makes some sense!!! :)

edit - count your 'net carbs' - lets you have have fruits and veggies and a lot less junk food

^^ This 100%.

High in Fiber will Nullify the High Carb effect.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    "Take Home Messages

Grains contain soluble fiber.

Yes but mainly insoluble fibre.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    No such thing. They're all carbs. If they fit in your macro requirements for the day, have all of them.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Doughnuts are good carbs. Mmmmmm...