Do you remember where you were on 9/11/01?

Options

Replies

• nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I was in my mom and dad's living room watching The Today Show packing to leave that afternoon for a semester of study abroad in London. (My first ever flight.) I was actually watching when the 2nd plane hit. I remember sitting there not believing it. I have a cousin who lived in London at the time who was frantically trying to call me/my folks because she didn't know what flight I was scheduled to be on. (And all the phone lines were tied up for hours.) I called United to see if my flights were going to be affected: "delayed a couple of hours probably." Within 10 minutes of that call all flights were grounded. My eldest brother, mom and dad all came home from work and we watched TV until lunch when my whole town (it felt like - it's small) was at the restaurant. Not many people were talking, there were hardly any cars on the roads. We were like a ghost town. Does not feel like 13 years. I can perfectly well imagine it like it was yesterday - heck, like it was this morning even.
  • NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was in basic combat training for the United States Army.

Thank you for your service!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    On the way to pay a traffic ticket at the courthouse. Saw the police stations rolling out tanks, and the courthouse was closed.
  • NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was in 4th grade, I remember sitting in the classroom, and the principal came on the intercom telling the teachers to turn on their televisions. I was only 9 at the time, so the whole situation was a little overwhelming and too much to take in, more than I could understand. But it's something that I will never forget.

wow, I feel old now. I was in 10th grade at the time.

Ditto. I was in the 11th grade!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    On my way to government class. Heard the news from a friend I passed by and thought it was a weird joke.

The thing I remember most about that day was the strange quiteness...I had to work at my after school job that night and had to turn the radio off on the way because I just couldn't listen any more...it was like the world around me stopped. No people or cars out...downtown that is usually bustling was just totally quiet. It felt like I was the last person on earth.
  • Fat2Fit_imready
    Fat2Fit_imready Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    i was 13 years old, living in danbury CT. I was in class wen it all went down, i was thinking.....this is going to be in the history books! I didn't get the full concept of it until i got home and watched the news ALL day and was just in shock! :cry:
  • helpimfalling
    Options
    I was in 8th grade choir class and we had no TV, so we listened to the radio. I didn't realize what exactly had happened until my mom let us watch the news that night (we weren't usually allowed to watch TV).
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Sitting at home watching tv. This came on all of a sudden & I thought it was some kind of movie that had cut in! It was unbelievable. Seems like it was just yesterday. My heart still breaks for all those people and their families who were affected.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Best Coast, so the day was just starting, I was coming down the stairs and dad poked his head around the corner and said "I think we're at war."

First couple periods of school were pretty quiet and involved a lot of TV.
  • mandez19
    Options
    Walking through the hall at school and heard commotion coming out of the teacher's lounge. Unreal time in our lives.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I was in 4th grade, I remember sitting in the classroom, and the principal came on the intercom telling the teachers to turn on their televisions. I was only 9 at the time, so the whole situation was a little overwhelming and too much to take in, more than I could understand. But it's something that I will never forget.

wow, I feel old now. I was in 10th grade at the time.

Ditto. I was in the 11th grade!

I was 26 and raising 3 kids! Still seems like yesterday though
  • sllida
    sllida Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    high school sitting in accounting class
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yes.. getting ready for a fitness class my freshman year of college.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    We just had this discussion on our office. I was standing at the desk in the reception area of our office chatting with a coworker. One of the drivers came in and said he just heard a plane crashed into the tower. And nothing got done the rest of the day.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was in first grade sitting in class, we watched the twin towers on the television. Our teacher was crying but we didn't realize the extent of the issue because we were only 6!
  • Bergenblart
    Bergenblart Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was up at half 5 a.m. getting ready for work in California, I turned on the telly and saw they were reporting on a possible plane hitting the first tower...I didn't think anything of it too much, but by the time I was getting ready to leave the house they reported that the other tower was hit. The other penny dropped pretty much with everyone...this was a terrorist attack. I had to try to keep working that morning and broke the news to one of our first customers who hadn't seen the news yet...then someone from upstairs had a telly on and said the 'tower has fallen'....the rest of the day it was running back and forth to the telly whilst trying to serve customers!! madness....
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I was in the last path train from NJ into the WTC. So, I saw the whole thing from the sidewalk and ran before it collapsed to the nearest subway station and headed to Brooklyn, NY.
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was 21. I had just came in from being outside. Our whole neighborhood was rebuilding from a flood that came through in July...I got something to drink and saw it on the TV, then watched the second plane hit also...I was stunned, just stood there in disbelief.
  • Squid4TRX
    Squid4TRX Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I was in Lemoore, CA...started my day by taking over what we Navy folks call a "duty day" as the Command Duty Officer (Commanding Officer's represenatative for the day). The whole base was in chaos setting extra security and closed all traffic into the base. I made it to my office just in time to see the second plane strike the Twin Towers...I still remember it vividly.
  • FemWeight
    Options
    I think I was in high school and we were in study hall during the time of the announcement.

9/11 they will not be forgotten . My prayers still go out to the families and the survivors . :flowerforyou: