Do I HAVE to eat 1200 cal..

Options

Replies

• independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

This is my first post on here and I have a question! :smile:

I'm kind of a noob to the whole fitness lifestyle in terms of realizing there's more to it than just eating a salad and going for a run.

It says to eat 1,200 calories a day but to me that number sounds so high and I can't bring myself to eat that many. On cheat days, I'm sure I do but on days where I'm very aware of what I'm eating/burning off and logging everything, it sounds like such a high amount.

What will happen if I burn off more calories than I consume in a day?
    I usually burn about 350-500 doing cardio, and these days it's more in the 400-650 range.
    I thought in order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you intake, and if I were to eat 1,200cal/day, that would be 8,400/week and that sounds insanely high. If I burned off 500 cal/day, I would only be burning 3,500/week and it just doesn't make sense to me.

I see no mention of an eating disorder in this post??????
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many negative posts. I have the same issue, it's hard for me to hit 1200/day when I'm choosing healthy meals. I think this is because not only are they lower calorie, but they keep you full longer. I'd say just eat healthy, count your calories, but eat if you are hungry! Don't force yourself to eat just to hit the 1200 calorie mark, as long as you are feeling well. Everyone's metabolism and body are different, your body may not require as many calories as anyone else's.

since OP has already admitted she has previously had an eating disorder, it's not a good idea to give her encouragement to avoid eating more calories. Unless you are an extremely small woman, it's very unlikely that 1200 calories is the healthy amount needed for you to sustain your lean muscle mass and appropriate brain and organ function. Just because you feel full does not mean your body is receiving all the calories it needs to function optimally.

Who said they had an eating disorder? Huh? How do you know this?????

My comments above are based on personal experience and the advice of doctors. It is not unhealthy to eat less than 1200 calories a day... as long as you someone who is supposed to be losing weight...and on that topic... if you're not needing to lose weight why are you here??

First of all, in a follow up post, the original poster said that she had previously had an eating disorder, that's how I know. Second of all, unless you are an extremely small woman, it's highly unlikely that a doctor would advice a caloric intake of less than 1200 calories per day, as your body needs more than that just to sustain brain and organ function. Weight loss should be done with a caloric deficit of 1-2 lbs per week, which is typically 500 calories per day deficit for a 1 lb per week loss.
    Thirdly, I am on this site to monitor my caloric intake to help me maintain my weight. It's called My Fitness Pal, not My Weightloss Pal. I have trouble keeping weight on, so I log my calories to keep track and make sure I take enough calories in each day to maintain my weight where I am currently.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I'm kind of a noob to the whole fitness lifestyle in terms of realizing there's more to it than just eating a salad and going for a run.

It says to eat 1,200 calories a day but to me that number sounds so high and I can't bring myself to eat that many. On cheat days, I'm sure I do but on days where I'm very aware of what I'm eating/burning off and logging everything, it sounds like such a high amount.

I usually burn about 350-500 doing cardio, and these days it's more in the 400-650 range.
    I thought in order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you intake, and if I were to eat 1,200cal/day, that would be 8,400/week and that sounds insanely high. If I burned off 500 cal/day, I would only be burning 3,500/week and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Read through the posts. Its called being thorough. We are not all having a group hallucination that you missed out on.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I couldn't be bothered to read even the whole first page of this thread before jumping in with my opinion??????

FIFY
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for the help guys. I didn't really understand the whole "net calorie" thing, and wasn't aware that we burn THAT many calories throughout the day (I thought maybe 200 at best). I guess I probably should have wrote in my post that I used to have an eating disorder a few years ago so that number just seemed high because I was used to counting calories a lot. This is the first time I've gotten really serious about losing weight through both diet and exercise instead of an unhealthy way but clearly what I'm doing is still unhealthy. Definitely going to research it more and try to hit 1200 a day.
    Does this help?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for the help guys. I didn't really understand the whole "net calorie" thing, and wasn't aware that we burn THAT many calories throughout the day (I thought maybe 200 at best). I guess I probably should have wrote in my post that I used to have an eating disorder a few years ago so that number just seemed high because I was used to counting calories a lot. This is the first time I've gotten really serious about losing weight through both diet and exercise instead of an unhealthy way but clearly what I'm doing is still unhealthy. Definitely going to research it more and try to hit 1200 a day.

Sorry this bring this up again OP. Some people cannot read though. We will try to help you out.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many negative posts. I have the same issue, it's hard for me to hit 1200/day when I'm choosing healthy meals. I think this is because not only are they lower calorie, but they keep you full longer. I'd say just eat healthy, count your calories, but eat if you are hungry! Don't force yourself to eat just to hit the 1200 calorie mark, as long as you are feeling well. Everyone's metabolism and body are different, your body may not require as many calories as anyone else's.

since OP has already admitted she has previously had an eating disorder, it's not a good idea to give her encouragement to avoid eating more calories. Unless you are an extremely small woman, it's very unlikely that 1200 calories is the healthy amount needed for you to sustain your lean muscle mass and appropriate brain and organ function. Just because you feel full does not mean your body is receiving all the calories it needs to function optimally.

My comments above are based on personal experience and the advice of doctors. It is not unhealthy to eat less than 1200 calories a day... as long as you someone who is supposed to be losing weight...and on that topic... if you're not needing to lose weight why are you here??

The OP said she had an eating disorder. It may be unhealthy to eat under 1200 if you have an eating disorder.
    Therefore it is best to not encourage her to eat less than 1200. Mkthx :flowerforyou:

P.S. some people are on here trying to fix their eating habits, maintain weight, or even gain weight.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

You know you're allowed to read her follow-up post, right? In fact, it's even encouraged so you don't look silly accusing everyone else of making something up just because you didn't bother to read it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

The site is called My FITNESS Pal......some people are here to gain weight. Others do body recomposition.......lower body fat but keep weight the same. Others may need to log food for medical issues (diabetics and such). Lots of reasons.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    You are misunderstanding the fact that your body burns calories just by living (breathing and basic life functions). By burning more than you eat in a day you will eventually not be able to support those basic life functions.

MFP already sets you up at a deficit to lose weight. 1200 calories is the bare minimum required calories for a woman who is not active to survive on.

You need to start looking at food as fuel for your body the same as gas for your car. You can't run on empty. I suggest you learn about BMR and TDEE. Here is a website that will get you started: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

You will be surprised at what you can eat and still lose weight. Also read the following links: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Good luck
    ^^^^ This. Great response!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    So, why do we stall. Why do we stop loosing if we are having less than 1200?

Plateaus are normal......weight loss is not linear. As you become a smaller person the calories to maintain your new "smallness" are less. This means a) you lose more slowly because the deficit is actually smaller than before OR b) you keep the same deficit by eating even less (bad idea if you want to keep lean muscle while losing fat).

Plateaus are not normal for people who are eating less than 1200 calories per day.

completely incorrect. It depends on your weight, height and structure. Smaller/petite people require less calories just as smaller/petite people burn less calories than larger/heavier people. There's no ONE rule that fits everyone. There are many factors to consider.

I had gastric bypass 44 days ago. I am following my dors orders. He order 1200 cal. have a protein shake for breakfast a cup of salad with chicken for luch and maybe a can of tuna for dinner that its about 900 cal

If you just had a gastric bypass just over a month ago, be patient and give it time. Your body is still healing...
  • Cinthiamd21
    Options
    THIS IS AN APP TO HELP PEOPLE. WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO MEAN TO EACH OTHER!!!!

Thanks to those who tried to answer my questions to the best of their knowledge.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options

^^^^ This is where she said she had an ED in the past

it is very important to ALL posts before adding your 2 cents!
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Ya'll are so nice and friendly here. :) LOVE YOU!!

People with eating disorders should not be asking about losing weight. Period. People should also not jump all over someone who with all good intention provides advice based on personal experience and the advice of doctors.

And no I typically don't read the first full page of people's comments because as we can all see everyone is so loving and kind here. Excuse me for not actively looking for someone who is underweight or with an ED on a forum full of fat people like myself.... how strange. :(
  • sullus
    Options

People with eating disorders should not be asking about losing weight. Period. People should also not jump all over someone who with all good intention provides advice based on personal experience and the advice of doctors.

And no I typically don't read the first full page of people's comments because as we can all see everyone is so loving and kind here. Excuse me for not actively looking for someone who is underweight or with an ED on a forum full of fat people like myself.... how strange. :(

Unless they're overweight from an ED like binge eating disorder .. or something .. then they should be asking about losing weight.
  • sullus
    Options

soooo .. it's our fault you;re intellectually lazy? Ok. Sorry.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you have trouble eating 1200 calories you wouldn't be overweight in the first place. These posts get on my last nerve!

Great point!
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Eat lots of veg and drink lots of water and stay active and you'll be amazed at how easy it is to avoid calories. But it will take some habit changing to get there so don't expect to do it all in a weekend. Nuts, I've been doing this for two years and it's not over yet. Not sure it ever will be.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

You are making assumptions about why people are on here. People are here for any number of reasons. You're here because you're fat. Great. (Your words, not mine) other people are here because they are in recovery from an ED, want to gain weight, lose weight, etc.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others have answered.

I started out on 1200. I began feeling very foggy.

I calculated my BMR and found out that it is 1392, and my tdee is 2209. So I took that info to my doctor who referred me to a dietitian and my goal is 1390-1450 calories a day and I feel so much better. No more fog! And I'm losing about 2 pounds a week.