Daily 600 net calories, no weight lost. What's wrong?

Options

Replies

• BryKate
    BryKate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Waahh I don't get this. For my number to be 0 I'd have to be exercising off the 12-1300 cals i eat a day!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Waahh I don't get this. For my number to be 0 I'd have to be exercising off the 12-1300 cals i eat a day!

picard-facepalm-o.gif

Your net calories need to match your goal. For example:

Goal: 1200
    Exercise: 200
    Total Intake: 1400
    Net: 1200 (amount of calories your body gets to use to function outside of exercise)

If your net is 0, your body would definitely not have adequate fuel.
  • BryKate
    Options
    Thanks this is what I originally thought. So MFP set my calories for the day at 1200. Does this not iclude exercise? For example
    I eat 1200
    Exercise 500
    Net 700

So has MFP set me a goal of 1200 with without exercise?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Thanks this is what I originally thought. So MFP set my calories for the day at 1200. Does this not iclude exercise? For example
    I eat 1200
    Exercise 500
    Net 700

Correct, if you exercise then you want to eat the calories burned back. It might be easier to look at your goal in your food diary (doesn't show the whole net thing).

For example:
    Normal goal (for the moment at least) is 1560
    On Thursday my food diary goal was : 1775
    I had burned 215 calories from exercise
    So my net was 1525 (I was short 35 calories :P)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

There are three lines at the bottom of your diary.

1) Your total intake (Calories) for the day from what you have eaten
    2) Your target for the day which includes exercise when you log it (if you set your target at say 1,400 and log 300 of exercise it will total 1,700)
    3) Your deficit/surplus - this is the number you need to get as close to zero as possible.

So, lets sat you ate 1,600 and your target is the 1,700 noted above, the third line would be a green positive number of 100 - saying that you still have 100 calories to eat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200
    Exercise 500
    Net 700

In this example - the second line will have your target as 1,700, assuming you log your exercise. You should eat as close as possible to the 1,700.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    your post title answers your question - your net is 600 and your intake is only 1200 at the most.
    fix this and try to work off your tdee
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Your net is what's wrong.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and your body is angry about it.

^that
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    bump
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    OP hasn't commented in a while. I think this thread might be pointless for her.
  • BryKate
    Options
    Thanks so much! This is what I originally thought but got confused when I started seeing people say net should be 0 haha thanks for the clarification :)
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You know what is weird about these entries? About 12 years ago I was put on a 480-calorie diet by Weight Loss Clinics plus I was walking a lot and exercising at the gym about every other day. The weight peeled off me like nobody's business! It was astonishing.

Of course I gained the weight back within the year.

Still, if starvation mode is such a big fat hairy problem, then why in the world did I lose weight so fast on the WLC diet?

I'm probably paying for it now. Can the effects of messing with your metabolism like that last this long?
    Your a special snowflake. just kidding. Of course you lost weight even though according to popular belief you should have plateaued and come on the internet to ask why.

I lose weight with very low calorie too but it makes me feel terrible. I get nauseous and shaky. Eating at a normal deficit even enough to lose 2 lbs a week works the best. I am very overweight so I can lose 2 lbs a week without dipping below 1200 calories.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Just eat. 600 NET calories/day is not anywhere near enough to sustain a human. My dog ate more calories than that, ffs!

I eat 1800-2000+/day and am steadily losing body fat and maintaining muscle, which I'm guessing is what you'd like to do...maintain muscle. It's kind of bizarre when someone says they don't care about holding on to whatever muscle they can and only care about the number on the scale...and I'm assuming that's not your aim.

Check out that IPOARM (in place of a road map) thread you've been linked to and give it a try. It really does work.

I agree. When my son was 2 years old he needed to eat over 1000 calories a day to grow. 600 is less than a toddler eats! You should eat at least 1200 calories a day net.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    OP hasn't commented in a while. I think this thread might be pointless for her.

yep, shes gone.

tumblr_inline_mm8lgqI4CR1qz4rgp.gif
  • TBrownVT
    TBrownVT Posts: 1
    Options
    This all important link is missing. (Maybe the link in the next post is the same one?)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    This thread is 1.5 years old. Just a heads up to other readers.
  • lysolgirl
    lysolgirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What are you logging for the 500-700 calorie burns each day? Perhaps you are overestimating that and underestimating your food intake. Remember that you cant log everything as exercise as people still normally move, walk etc
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and your body is angry about it.

+1
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What are you logging for the 500-700 calorie burns each day? Perhaps you are overestimating that and underestimating your food intake. Remember that you cant log everything as exercise as people still normally move, walk etc

Since this thread is so old I doubt that the OP will be returning to answer any questions.