• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Holy.

ETA, that was to Melissay's post.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Kids NEED guidance at that age. Dress codes are appropriate.

Dress appropriately. School is for learning. This might be a good reason to adopt school uniforms.

I had three daughters. We only had one incident as they went through school. They knew better.
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It is the rules we had in school and what my kids have now, except for the skinny jeans and tights. We have a problem here and it isn't the dress code. It is kids who don't respect authority, girls who don't know modesty, and boys who don't know how to respect and value young women. I have sons. My oldest is to dating age. If he wants to talk to a girl outside of school I check her social media sites. If she is dress poorly I tell him to move on. I tell my son don't seek or encourage behavior from a girl you like that you wouldn't want your sister doing as well.

I bet that goes over well. So you approve/dictate who your son can *talk* to, not just date?

Do you need a pilot's license to be a helicopter parent?

Few things to implement values go over well with kids at first. He lives in my home and I pay his bills. So yep, I get to be dictator to the degree I see fit. He isn't allowed to "talk to" (jr high version of dating) girls who I find don't behave as young ladies.

I not only have my license, I'm an instructor. This term is so played out...
  • logg1e
    Options
    Ah, implied violence over how women dress. Where have I heard that before? Tali-something...
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Same here! I knew better than to bring a note home, or god forbid they called my mom at work, my *kitten* would have been grass!

My husband and I are glad that my son has always worn uniforms. I'm not even sure that he realizes that not all kids wear uniforms. One of his schools gave the kids freedom to pick shirt colors as long as it had the school logo on it, the other two have been a strict uniform.
    Kids NEED guidance at that age. Dress codes are appropriate.

Dress appropriately. School is for learning. This might be a good reason to adopt school uniforms.

I had three daughters. We only had one incident as they went through school. They knew better.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I think the issue people have with dress codes today are more about the sexism behind them rather than the actual code. The idea that it is the girl's responsibility to dress "modestly" and not wear yoga pants so as not to distract the boys. By punishing a girl for wearing something that is so called inappropriate, you are putting all the fault on her and taking all blame off the boy (or whoever is being distracted in this case).

This. People should know how to control themselves.
  • melissay28
    Options
    If you're referring to the girls outfit I saw, that was my reaction exactly...along with WTF! It's hot where I live but it's not THAT hot!
    Holy ****.

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Having no children of my own and being past school age, my opinions are not very well formed on this subject.

However, I think certain clothes are inappropriate for children. And let's face it, high schoolers are children. Short shorts and take tops, in my opinion, can sometimes be..questionable. However, once you start saying that, then where should the line be? How short is too short, etc. Which I think is exactly the issue.

Overall I think there's too much focus on it. They're just clothes, chill out. How about we focus on the academics more?

shadowofender, it sounds like you and I feel pretty much the same about this overall! But you mentioned "high schoolers are children" and for me that struck a chord somehow. Not that I disagree (unless we're talking about 18 year olds who are in their senior year home stretch), but I think that schools should be focusing more on getting high school students to that point where they are NOT children, and letting them effectively dress themselves is one way to do that, in my opinion.

I dunno. I might regret this post because it's not THAT well thought-out. I'm not saying there's one way that everyone "should dress" in life beyond high school...there's room for all kinds in the world. But I think sometimes, teens who have been held back a lot in expressing themselves tend to be less independent in other ways and for a longer period of time. Every student and family is different, and at the end of the day I'd say it's more for parents to decide if their teenage children are going to wear this or that, than the school administrators and teachers. But for me personally, being allowed to wear some things that were considered "bad" or punk/weird/etc was a part of creating my self-identity and by the time I was in college I felt like I was over that and ready for whatever came next. Not that someone with dreads and spiked clothes isn't an adult...some certainly are, and responsible at that...but I think there's just a lot of complicated stuff going on for most teens and being told they have to wear a polo and khakis could send some over the edge (I don't mean suicide/murder, I just mean like, extra angst and crazy).

See, we're friends because I think our thoughts are on the same level, just unsure how to express it in a way that makes sense. But I dtotally get what you're saying! And you're right, not all high schoolers are children. I'm going off my experiences, though. I graduated at 17 and had NO emotional maturity to speak of and school didn't help me one bit in preparing me for college or the real world. I went to a pretty conservative high school so there was a lot of focus on dress code, but the hot girls broke it all the time and no one really ever got in trouble for it. It wasn't a big deal.

Was I distracted by yoga pants and low cut shirts when I was 17? Oh god yes. Was I also distracted by the light flickering, the sunshine outside, hey it's raining, oh look a fly, hey that ceiling tile looks weird, etc., etc.,? Way more so than what other people were wearing.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I think the issue people have with dress codes today are more about the sexism behind them rather than the actual code. The idea that it is the girl's responsibility to dress "modestly" and not wear yoga pants so as not to distract the boys. By punishing a girl for wearing something that is so called inappropriate, you are putting all the fault on her and taking all blame off the boy (or whoever is being distracted in this case).

This is exactly my issue with the dress codes, particularly those that forbid yoga pants. I don't believe most girls are wearing those to be "immodest" (whateer that means) or show off. In fact when I discussed that a ban on yoga pants with some of my younger college classmates they had no idea men thought they were "sexy". The students had just been wering them because they found them comfotable.

I thnk uniforms are a better solution than dress codes.
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It is the rules we had in school and what my kids have now, except for the skinny jeans and tights. We have a problem here and it isn't the dress code. It is kids who don't respect authority, girls who don't know modesty, and boys who don't know how to respect and value young women. I have sons. My oldest is to dating age. If he wants to talk to a girl outside of school I check her social media sites. If she is dress poorly I tell him to move on. I tell my son don't seek or encourage behavior from a girl you like that you wouldn't want your sister doing as well.

Don't the boys have a problem with "knowing modesty"? What does that mean, anyway?

Do the boys hold such low value of women that it is effected by their clothing that day? Are women who dress modestly more deserving of respect than those who don't?

You police the girls your sons ^talk^ to? Are they allowed to thank a female who holds the door for them but you judge to be dressed immodestly?

Women are only to be respected if they remind you of your sister?

My sons are expected to respect women period, even if those women don't respect themselves by dressing in a way to draw inappropriate attention to themselves. However, respecting all women doesn't mean all are what I consider worthy of admiration. A 13 year old girl who olds her shirt up to show off her stomach in an online post get blocked. Why? She is seeking attention in the wrong ways. My job is to protect and teach my children. And her parents are obviously not raising her in line with the morals I am teaching mine. Either that or maybe they don't hold her to the standards I hold mine.
  • logg1e
    Options
    If you're referring to the girls outfit I saw, that was my reaction exactly...along with WTF! It's hot where I live but it's not THAT hot!
    Holy ****.

Sorry I was unclear. I was surprised that an adult would accept their mother or husband making negative comments about their clothing.
  • logg1e
    Options
    My sons are expected to respect women period, even if those women don't respect themselves by dressing in a way to draw inappropriate attention to themselves. However, respecting all women doesn't mean all are what I consider worthy of admiration. A 13 year old girl who olds her shirt up to show off her stomach in an online post get blocked. Why? She is seeking attention in the wrong ways. My job is to protect and teach my children. And her parents are obviously not raising her in line with the morals I am teaching mine. Either that or maybe they don't hold her to the standards I hold mine.

Thank you for taking the time to explain, and I admire you raising your children to respect others, irrespective of what they happen to be wearing that day.

1) I'm not sure how any person can dress in way that makes them responsible for the reactions of others though. I'm thinking of Sophie Lancaster and Robert Maltby here. That's the story I'd be educating my teenagers about.

2) How is showing your tummy wrong - these forums are full of it. Children show their bellies. It doesn't mean they are responsible for men finding them sexually attractive, or at least I don't believe so.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    The school my daughters (7 and 9) go to has a policy that includes no licensed characters (no Hello Kitty or Ninja Turtles), and while some parents ignore it, I make my kids adhere to the policy. The teachers explained why the policy exists - because young kids will turn the conversation into what is on the shirt instead of getting their work done. It's the same reason that light up shoes are not permitted in the primary and kinder classes, because it's a distraction. It's also a public charter school and I chose to put my children into the school, so if I didn't like the policy I'd be well within my rights to enroll them at the standard public school down the street.

Seltzer - My kids do dress themselves, and have been for some time. They pick their clothes out at the store, and if they chose something I know is against dress code I let them know it can't be worn to school... spaghetti strap tank tops have to have something over them, halter dresses are not permitted, and they must remain very aware of how they are sitting and playing when wearing a dress and opting out of tights or leggings/shorts underneath. I explain to them that they have to abide by rules, and that not doing so as an adult can have consequences that are far more serious.

My eldest is in a different building now and some of the rules are a little more relaxed, like I permit her to wear her "Soft Kitty" shirt. Their character shirts get worn on weekends, and they are fine with it.

And yep, add me to the "helicopter parent" list. While my kids have expectations in our home and in their school community they are children who are still learning. My job as their mother is to guide them and teach them. I'm that parent who is at the school volunteering, staying late to help clean the classroom, bringing the teacher coffee when we have field trips... I know what is going on with my children, and they don't get to pull the wool over my eyes when something does happen, and believe me they've tried.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Don't the boys have a problem with "knowing modesty"? What does that mean, anyway?

Do the boys hold such low value of women that it is effected by their clothing that day? Are women who dress modestly more deserving of respect than those who don't?

You police the girls your sons ^talk^ to? Are they allowed to thank a female who holds the door for them but you judge to be dressed immodestly?

Women are only to be respected if they remind you of your sister?

From one formerly sheltered child to someone who sounds a lot like my own mom (trust me,not necessarily a bad thing), keep in mind he's not too far off from an age where he has to make his own decisions about what he finds appropriate. If you block him from too much and protect him too much, there's a good chance he'll have trouble knowing how to handle himself when he goes to college (even if it's a Christian college, he'll still have plenty of room for trouble) or whatever he decides to do when he's 18. A teenage female showing off her stomach is very mild compared to what he's going to be exposed to down the road.

I do like how you tell him not to encourage behavior he wouldn't want to see his sister doing, though. I imagine she looks up to him quite a bit. When they're not acting like typical teenage siblings and threatening each other, that is ;-)
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    My daughter went to a school where there was a uniform. Part of the girls choices was a kilt. The year my kid started high school the kilts were banned. Girls were shortening them and some wearing nothing underneath.

There needs to be some sort of freedom of expression but a bare azz in school is taking it too far.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Seltzer - My kids do dress themselves, and have been for some time. They pick their clothes out at the store, and if they chose something I know is against dress code I let them know it can't be worn to school... spaghetti strap tank tops have to have something over them, halter dresses are not permitted, and they must remain very aware of how they are sitting and playing when wearing a dress and opting out of tights or leggings/shorts underneath. I explain to them that they have to abide by rules, and that not doing so as an adult can have consequences that are far more serious.

That's cool and all (I mean that sincerely)...but just to be clear, in my post I was talking about teens who are in high school and moving toward college, career, and adult life, not 7 and 9 year olds.

Also about the "helicopter parent" thing...I'm definitely not judging parents for however they wanna raise their children regardless of age...and I know you weren't referencing my post, but I just wanted to say that when I think of helicopter parents I'm thinking more of the moms and dads who request a copy of their COLLEGE AGE kid's syllabus and get the professor's email. Not. Okay. hehe
  • melissay28
    Options
    LOL, my mom or husband wouldn't literally make a comment but would probably look at me funny if I went out with my butt hanging out of my shorts and a few inches away from my boobs falling out of the bottom of my shirt! But I also wouldn't go out dressed like that, now or when I was a teenager, so I don't have anything to worry about in the first place!
    Holy ****.

Sorry I was unclear. I was surprised that an adult would accept their mother or husband making negative comments about their clothing.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Knowing Staten Island like I do, yeah dress codes are a wonderful idea.
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I see this as part of what school is supposed to do - educate & prepare the young for their eventual transition into the adult world. In my experience (I'm 54), dress codes are a fact of life. I have never worked anywhere where there was an "anything goes" attitude toward clothing. One of the things our children need to learn is how and when to "express" themselves; and what the appropriate manner is to do so in a particular situation. I believe this young woman needs to adjust her priorities.............