Overweight fitness instructors

Options

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that it does turn me off to see overweight fitness instructors...My BAD...but I cannot trust someone who does not practice what they preach!
    Fit instructors Motivate me..and challenge me to do better...

But you don't know what is going on in their lives. One girl on YouTube that does Zumba routines (and is a LOT of fun) is heavier, but she is only a few months postpartum and is working on losing the baby weight.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't worry or give 1 thought if the in instructor is not your typical low body fat/ ripped body type of person.
  • AngelaRoberta
    AngelaRoberta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I want instructors who are knowledgeable. I care about what they can teach me and how they can help me reach my goals. It doesn't matter to me if they are male/female, overweight/underweight/at goal, tall/short, ect. I don't care what an instructor looks like, and it doesn't matter to me if where they are on their fitness journey as long as they can help me on mine.

Let's be honest, someone could have a very healthy looking body that they inherited from mother nature and good genes. They might not have a clue how to help someone loose weight. On the other hand, someone could be overweight and still know exactly what they are talking about. What if that person has recently lost 60 pounds? And they might still have 50 to go, but they also have the experience and skills to show others what to do/not do.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    This topic has been discussed a lot here. Being a trainer/instructor myself, I live and love the "lifestyle" and look the part. The thing that makes a good trainer IMO is how passionate they are about what they do. If you're passionate and practice what you preach, you will want to be not only the best trainer for your clients, but one who continually works to make themselves better - through obtaining more and more knowledge that you can pass on to your clients (through reading, research, courses, etc.). I've worked with ripped trainers with <10% body fat who are clueless idiots as well as not so fit looking trainers that are brilliant. Who would you rather have train you?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned with an overweight nutritionist or dietician than an overweight instructor. One of my friends is (was?) an A.C.E certified group trainer, and is likely a little overweight for her height. She could hand me my *kitten* in spin class though, and she cycles outside of the gym too. She also does stand-up paddle boarding during the summer. She did some classes where we did some balance on a bosu ball mimicking being on a SUP. Then I went on her SUP later in the summer. Almost fell in more than once.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you are going for...

My husband went to a trainer at our gym (honestly, the guy is probably 50lbs overweight). The trainer used to compete in power lifting competitions. My husband wanted advice in that area, not nutrition or weight loss. So in this situation, an overweight trainer was fine.

The female instructors for the classes at my gym are all overweight (some more than others); and all lift less weight than I do. I'm not saying that maybe they don't have some knowledge that I don't have...but for me, I don't see the point in taking these classes if I weigh less and lift more than the instructors.
  • akkimberly
    akkimberly Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If this was asked a couple years ago, I would have said yes, it is a turn off to see an overweight instructor.

There is a female trainer at my gym who I would say is at least 50+ lbs overweight. I've done a couple of her spin classes though, and let me tell you, she is a machine! I know she's doing high resistance, and has lots of hill climbs & sprints thrown in and never sounds winded. I haven't worked with her one on one, but I think she does power lifting with her clients.

If I walked into a class now and the instructor was overweight, I might be a bit dubious, but I would give him/her a chance. They might really know their stuff and have a good fitness level. Maybe, like me, their diet just isn't where it should be. If I like the class and can push myself to get a good workout, how they look doesn't really matter. I've done other classes with "in shape" instructors and they were awful classes.

^ This!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Kinda like going to a dentist that has bad teeth? Maybe like asking a fat doctor about weight loss?

You live in a town with two dentists.
    One has good teeth, the other has bad teeth. Which one do you go to?
    Lol, the one my insurance covers.:laugh: :laugh:

Truth. :grumble:

Depends what the instructor is teaching. Lifting techniques? I'm game. Cardio? I'd sit in a few classes. If it gets my heart rate up and makes me sore THE RIGHT WAY, I'm in for a try. Eyebrow might raise, but I'll try it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Kinda like going to a dentist that has bad teeth? Maybe like asking a fat doctor about weight loss?

You live in a town with two dentists.
    One has good teeth, the other has bad teeth. Which one do you go to?
    Lol, the one my insurance covers.:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

hahaha, that is a different approach to that logic question.

Essentially the answer you be that you go to the dentist with the bad teeth, because in an isolated town, a dentist can't work on himself and has to go to his competitor. Therefore the one with the good teeth is a bad dentist.

I'mma going to go eat a sandwich.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've had several heavy bellydance dance teachers who were truly gifted dancers and had more endurance and cardio fitness than most of their slender students, and a friend who's on the plump side who climbs mountains and does triathalons. So yeah, I'd give a heavy instructor a chance. You can be "fit" in some ways and still heavy.
  • trmndsblndtte
    trmndsblndtte Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This thread is pretty discouraging. I'm getting ready to start studying for my ACE test (personal training) and I'm currently still overweight. However, I was once 80 lbs heavier, I've committed to a healthier lifestyle and my habits and coping skills are BY FAR better than they were 5 years ago. I've run a marathon, 4 half marathons and I can lift.

It makes me really sad that I feel like I'd have to give my entire history in order for someone to give me a chance. I'm human just like everyone else. I'm not perfect. I deal with binge and emotional eating and depression. If anything, I think it makes be BETTER equipped to work with certain types of people. I believe in people feeling strong and capable -- no matter where they are starting.
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    There are many factors to consider. A person may appear to be overweight but may actually have be healthier and fitter than someone as we like to call "skinny fat." I know how easy it is to come to the conclusion, but we need to really look at the whole picture. I am a lot "bigger" than most of the women I work with. And outwardly it may appear that these women are in better shape than me. The view quickly changes when they see me in fitness clothing and see that my legs are bigger due to muscles quads and calves. I get what you are saying but looks can be deceiving somewhat. I have a aquaintance that is far thinner that me and she constantly wonders how it is that my race times are significantly faster. Yes, my body is bigger but my training is where the work is at. Having said that, I do understand what you are saying and yes it lends to credibility for sure. I think that I would also naturally question things as well, but really the only way to know what that person is about is to take the challenge and test them on it. Because that instructor may be a beast and the skinny super model looking chic in the corner may be deceptively unfit. I for one would not trade my body and what it can do for a much thinner weaker one.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am more turned off by people who are skinny and don't have any muscle teaching a class or training a client than someone who is overweight. Nothing worse than seeing noodle-arms walk in to teach a class.

For all you know, the overweight person is recovering from an illness or just lost 150 pounds and has 50 more to go and want to share what they've learned...but I can also understand why it's harder for them to get a job. The heaviest trainer at my gym is the busiest so he's doing something right, but personally I laugh at the female trainers at the gym whom I could out-athlete in every way imaginable.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    This thread is pretty discouraging. I'm getting ready to start studying for my ACE test (personal training) and I'm currently still overweight. However, I was once 80 lbs heavier, I've committed to a healthier lifestyle and my habits and coping skills are BY FAR better than they were 5 years ago. I've run a marathon, 4 half marathons and I can lift.

It makes me really sad that I feel like I'd have to give my entire history in order for someone to give me a chance. I'm human just like everyone else. I'm not perfect. I deal with binge and emotional eating and depression. If anything, I think it makes be BETTER equipped to work with certain types of people. I believe in people feeling strong and capable -- no matter where they are starting.

I'd sit in with you. As long as you're not full of *kitten* from the start of the course, I'd give ya a shot. :drinker: :flowerforyou:

But if you start telling me about gluten being my worst enemy or sucking toxins out through foot pads, I'm bouncin'. :laugh:
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Don't get discouraged. I go to a turbo kick class and my instructor is overweight and she shares her weight loss journey with the class. She keeps us informed on her progress, whether she losing or not, and encourages us to stay focused and look to her class for inspiration. We all love her for it. I was skeptical at first, but the class and her instructions are helping me get in shape even though she may not be losing as quickly as she would like to but she's still inspiring because she's trying and sharing her story.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I went to yoga fairly regularly over a summer, and on my last class ( didn't know it would be my last) the gym had a new instructor. When she walked in I thought she was just another student new to yoga, but nope instructor. And she was most definitely obese. I didn't expect much, but she was the most flexible person I had ever seen. She was kind, she was encouraging to everyone, and the had just the right touch to get everyone into proper form, and she moved so quickly into new positions that I was sweating within minutes. I wish I had been able to take her class again, but health issues kept me out of class.

But I can definitely understand how it would be difficult for overweight instructors to get work, people don't expect a whole lot from them
  • KornishPiskie
    KornishPiskie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I would wonder why the instructor is not thin and svelte from doing their work out etc but now I realise it depends on their personal circumstances. I have an under active thyroid (do not under estimate how serious this can be) and find it hard to lose weight, but I kick *kitten* at Billy Blanks! I exercise everyday with very little weight loss but I'm fit now and want to get fitter.
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I "teach" a Zumba class now and then and I'm a good 30 pounds over my goal weight. I also have lost over 40 and kept it off for about 6 years. I live in a teeny town and my class is offered for free through the school district's Adult Education program. There is no one coming to my class that expects to see a stick girl teaching my class. We are all just there to shake our hineys and have some fun.

BUT, if I had to charge for my class or depend on teaching for my income, I would definitely feel the pressure to be in better shape and at a smaller size. "For fun" and "for pay" are big differences. I am paying my $30/mth for my Zumba membership and choreo DVDs and I would probably feel a little ripped off if the instructors on my videos were lardbutts and not dancing at full-on intensity.

To each their own.
  • MarCarCas
    MarCarCas Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I attended a Pilates class on Sunday, and the female trainer was overweight, not obese but carrying a lot of weight in the stomach and booty. She did all the movements in the class no prob, totally poised the whole time and not exhausted, while a lot of the thinner girls were lying down on their mats tired and huffing. I felt that class for sure. I didn't ask because it's not my business but I think she might have reduced her weight through Pilates and got good enough to teach it. It was a great class!
  • trmndsblndtte
    trmndsblndtte Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I'd sit in with you. As long as you're not full of *kitten* from the start of the course, I'd give ya a shot. :drinker: :flowerforyou:

But if you start telling me about gluten being my worst enemy or sucking toxins out through foot pads, I'm bouncin'. :laugh:

And no crazy fads here. However, I have heard about these wraps....:laugh: (j/k)