"All About That Bass" Rant

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    This is why I listen to classic rock and country music. Both genres don't care what shape you are as long as you have a vagina and don't look like a foot.

529d47a499e079f920be4cf39e96c9be.600x.jpg
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I feel like these lyrics are clearly not fully listened to. Go Kaleo just had a thing about this where she was also corrected.

" Go ahead and tell them skinny *****es that
    No I'm just playing. I know you think you're fat
    But I'm here to tell ya
    Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top"

Really the song is about being happy with who she is, even though society shows us much differently. And points out that EVERYONE - as can be seen above - has body issues. There's fat people who don't think of them selfs as fat, skinny peolple who do, and fat people who wish nothing but to be skinny.

I don't even like the song but the OP just came off as ignorant to me. There's plenty out there that talks about the exact opp - that instead of just enjoying the fact that someone felt ok enough to say something different people have to just attack it. It's not perfect - but nothing is.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I like that song, and thanks to several years as a club dj, I can't actually hear much treble.
  • release_the_kraken
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a 14 on average....
    Victorian Age women were an average of 14...
    All the best breast sizes are on 14....

14 is perfect...

Marilyn Monroe had a 24-inch waist. My 30-inch waist is a modern size 8.

I read that the size dress she wore was a 14..in some biography book many moons ago. Size 14, stacked right is still nice.

Why is no one talking about the big dude that does the dancing in the video...how does he do that when he is a bigger guy??
    I think I probably weigh less than him and got tired watching him dance..and the splits..really..WTH..how??
    Size 14 in the 1950s and '60s is not the same size 14 in 2014. There was no size 2 or 0 back then. My mother is 5'7". When she weighed 118 pounds in the 1960s (which on me is a size 3) she wore a size 8. Marilyn was 5'5" and in most of her movies, she was around 118 pounds.

At my absolute heaviest, which was just this side of being considered obese, I was a size 12.

Well there you have it..lucky I am a guy and a 38in waist is a 38in waist no matter what time period I live in...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of listening to the radio last week and heard this song for the first time and it's been stuck in my head ever since. This is why I listen to death metal. No body shaming, they just talk about brutally killing people of all shapes and sizes.

Plus I don't get her annoying voice stuck in my head. Make it stop, please. :(

I like you...........Papa Roach, Last Resort rocks. And believe it or not, I've never wanted to kill myself.

Rock on! :flowerforyou:

Thank you, but Papa Roach isn't death metal. It's rock. I'm talking about Suffocation, Deicide, Pestilence, Death, Mortitian, and of course, Cannibal Corpse. Mortitian has a song called "Hacked up for a Barbecue" or Cannibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face" that was in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. They are brutal with crazy fast speed playing. I don't want to kill or eat people and I'm not into necrophilia, but at least they accept every body shape, size, race, gender. Bless their little cotton socks. lol Oh and you can't understand they lyrics because they growl them pretty much. There is actually a band that uses their dog's growling in it. lol
    You go, metal head! I highly suggest you check out a radio station called KDVS 90.3 out of Davis, CA. College free form radio that live streams around the world and has some crazy good metal shows on Tuesday and Friday nights.

Oh REAAAAALLY? I will check that out!!! We have such a good death metal scene in my town I wish I could start up a little radio station and broadcast them. I need millions of dollars though. SIGH. Bake sale!

I'm not a metalhead but I sure do approve of all this schoolin'
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My thoughts may not be the popular opinion, but here they are: If someone is skinny, cool. If someone is curvy and they are happy with that, cool. Someone writes a song about being skinny, I don't cry about it. Someone writes a song how being curvy is in, I don't care. A song doesn't dictate how I feel about myself...if someone prefers a girl skinnier than me that's their choice, it doesn't bother me. If someone wants a girl that is 500lbs, okay go for it. Basically I don't let a song, a persons opinion, societies view of beauty etc, dictate how I feel. It's actually kind of amusing that a song can make someone so angry. Lol

Love this...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    oh, and how do you feel about the lyrics to body bounce?

right there... those are classy lyrics...

http://www.directlyrics.com/kardinal-offishall-body-bounce-lyrics.html

Both my hands fit around her waist,
    Her astronauts takin' up my space, yo,
    I'm about to launch my rocket,
    Take off your clothes and reach in my pocket,
    Grab the controller, similar to wii,
    It's a game and imma let you beat me

(Kardinal)
    Bounce, twerk,
    Show me a little work,
    Imma take them calories off with that shirt,
    Look how you bouncin',
    All of the sudden I think how many men try to climb that mountain,
    Them heals you got is no joke, even Akon might go broke,
    Spendin' them ones, throwin' them twenties,
    ? throwin' up centuries,
    That's the body of the century,
    You a little insecure but baby you got plenty,
    Them stretch marks on your hips is just bungie cords bringin' you back when you dip,
    I read your lips, my gang stay literate,
    I ain't scared, not a little bit,
    Gotta let you know, your worth about a million ?,
    Now just bounce

(Kardinal)
    Chyeaa, ?
    PS3, the PS stands for PSSS if ya body bouncin' around me,
    Then it's game over, act like you older,
    Either we bouncin' right now, or your dirt off the shoulder,
    So extra, mr. material,
    Lemme feel on your birthday suit texture,
    So resilient,
    I like how on the inside its like a wetsuit, brilliant,
    Water resistant up to 9 inches,
    Wrap that let me open it up like Christmas,
    I'm about the same height as ?,
    Keep on your heels, lets get down to business,
    No gym but I'm seein' your fitness,
    With my eyes closed you pose as a witness,
    Everywhere the body language you pronounce

Thunderheist: Jerk it?
    Jason Derulo- Wiggle Wiggle

How about Iggy and Rita's Black Widow? How insanely ragey would the world be if it was a man singing about loving a woman to death?

The double standards EXIST EVERYWHERE.

Big butt songs have been everywhere- this is a fairly vanilla song- I wish it was a bit of a better message- but really- its' about loving yourself- and PS_ its' modern american music- how seriously can we really take ourselves when we have the likes of Bieber still pumping out music.

14 is perfect...

there is no such thing as a perfect body- WTF- who says that???

and no Marilyn wasn't a 14- she was significantly smaller- she wouldnt' have fit into a modern 8.
    O.o you are my hero.. Halestorm is my favorite band..lol I have seen them 3 times in concert.

<3:love: :love: :love: :love:

Saw them in Philly with Young Guns And BFMV- she can rock- she did a solo with Bullet- HOLY CRAP.

Was an amazing concert.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    fw-bass_tagging.jpg

Wrong bass?
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of listening to the radio last week and heard this song for the first time and it's been stuck in my head ever since. This is why I listen to death metal. No body shaming, they just talk about brutally killing people of all shapes and sizes.

I despise that song with every ounce of my being. I can't listen to it long enough to even know what the lyrics are. She sounds like a toddler with a toy karaoke machine.
  • LauraDerp
    LauraDerp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's a little hard for me to feel sympathetic for anyone feeling skinny-shamed from this song where almost anywhere I look there's some form of skinny-positivity. I do wish that no one would body shame any body shape, but I don't think one or two songs that promote a different body type that is socially unacceptable (and it is seen as unacceptable) will do much harm.
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the song. My daughter loves it. She sees it as excepting everyone for who they are. I can only speak for myself but most thin girls have made me feel bad for being overweight. Plus when someone is thin and you ask them how they do it they say "I don't know". Thin girls looking down on you because your not just like them. Stuff like that gives thin a bad name. When your the only one eating cake and the "thin girls" are like "oh I don't eat that!!!" or "why would you want to eat that". That's the kinda stuff big girls hate. The reason why songs like that are written. It's not acceptance. It's about trying to feel good about yourself whatever way you look. Unfortunately everything will offend someone. Can't please everyone. Will never be possible. :smile:
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    OP how come you're not talking about Anaconda?

She literally says "*kitten* them skinny b*tches." That's way more offensive then All About That Bass.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    fw-bass_tagging.jpg

Wrong bass?
    No! I'm all about that bass for sure! The best kind.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    This is why I listen to classic rock and country music. Both genres don't care what shape you are as long as you have a vagina and don't look like a foot.

529d47a499e079f920be4cf39e96c9be.600x.jpg

Literally loling over here. Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

lol_didnt_read_gif_98784.gif

I'll watch this gif while the song plays
  • release_the_kraken
    Options
    FYI..this topic went a lot longer than I thought.

IT IS A POP SONG. Half the crap playing on the radio today makes no sense so why are we all on here dissecting it so much? Should we not be out running or lifting or weighing food or something useful.

Now I am gonna go listen to some Johnny Cash..later all
  • clewpage
    clewpage Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so quick to be offended. If you are looking for a way to be offended, you will always find it.
    When did playing the victim become the norm?
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the song either but maybe the reason is about our insecurities. I was in the car with three skinny 13 year old girls last weekend when this song came on and they turned it up and sang along. They didn't take offense at all. They love it!

I was all ready to have a talk with my daughter about it being ok to be skinny, turns out, I didn't have to. She never got that impression from the song.

It's not just about being skinny/fat. On the video there is a very small/thin woman shakin her big booty... junk in the right places?? LOL My daughter is thin and has a very athletic build - she is a dancer, and loves the song. Love it!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    OP how come you're not talking about Anaconda?

She literally says "*kitten* them skinny b*tches." That's way more offensive then All About That Bass.

I thought that was a command.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

I despise that song with every ounce of my being. I can't listen to it long enough to even know what the lyrics are. She sounds like a toddler with a toy karaoke machine.

I always thought it sounded like she had a slight lisp when she says "bass" in the chorus but could be the filter they put on her voice. But yeah a toddler with a toy karaoke machine fits so much better.
This discussion has been closed.