"All About That Bass" Rant

Options

Replies

• sro2118
    sro2118 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is why I listen to classic rock and country music. Both genres don't care what shape you are as long as you have a vagina and don't look like a foot.

This made me laugh so hard! Glad I do not look like a foot! :laugh: :wink: :noway:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a 14 on average....
    Victorian Age women were an average of 14...
    All the best breast sizes are on 14....

14 is perfect...
    Uhhh I don't know about Marylin Monroe, but that last statement doesn't even make sense. You realize a size 14 woman can have anywhere from AAAA breasts to ZZZZ breasts, right?
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like the song. It's catchy. I think there should be more songs telling the big girls to not be ashamed of their bodies. (Not because I encourage poor health but because if we don't have a healthy relationship with our bodies we're never going to have the strong foundation we need to be healthy. No one should hate how they look, even if they are working to improve it.) That being said, it shouldn't be done at the expense of others.

At the end of the day, it's just a song. There are much worse cases of "thin-shaming" that I can think of. We need to just worry about ourselves and respect everyone.

And, also, listen to more Johnny Cash.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    What about those girls who are naturally very thin? Do you think they like to hear that girls who are naturally bigger are automatically sexier than they are?

don't care. this song is not a reason for me to question my sexiness. the last time I was out dancing with Bestie, I shook my size 4 azz to this song and ironically pointed 2 thumbs at myself during the "skinny b****es" line. shiz is more fun when you don't take it seriously.

you have to actually know me to know that i'm a b**** (which has nothing to do with my size, btw).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a 14 on average....
    Victorian Age women were an average of 14...
    All the best breast sizes are on 14....

14 is perfect...
    Uhhh I don't know about Marylin Monroe, but that last statement doesn't even make sense. You realize a size 14 woman can have anywhere from AAAA breasts to ZZZZ breasts, right?

Hm, no? Can you provide samples backing that up?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I think you took a Top 40 pop song a little too seriously... :tongue:

Really couldn't care less if larger women want to say "large is beautiful". I don't feel body-shamed by phrases like "skinny *****es". However, your parody line about chugging soda pop is not even a little bit close in meaning, or intention with the original line regarding magazine's overuse of Photoshop. You were going for the rhyme, I guess? :wink:

Strong first post, young grasshopper.

So body shaming is wrong, even if it's one line in a pop song. But it's ok for you to put other people down for not having a high enough post count?

Where did I put her down? I said it was strong!

Also, it it was not just one line. Do your homework, skippy.

Don't do that. Don't act like your sarcasm was anything but obvious. Or did you call me skippy because you genuinely believe I skip often?

Don't expect perfect behavior from pop singers if you're unwilling to demonstrate it yourself.

Pot, I'd like you to meet a friend of mine...
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it is a catchy tune. I seen it on YouTube before I ever heard it on Pandora. At first I thought she might have been bashing on skinny girls but couldn't get the beat out of my head. I have since really listened to the lyrics and disagree with the OP.

I would agree with some others that Nikki Minaj's new song is awful. She took a song that created a lot of controversy in its day and made it even more controversial if not down right nasty. Then again, anytime I see or hear her I either want to scratch my eyeballs out or stuff my ears full of cotton. I do not understand how that woman ever made it in the music industry.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because I've never been a "thin girl" that I haven't really gotten upset with the lyrics like OP... but I also tend to not take today's music too seriously...

Do have to admit that I just dl'd this song earlier today so I can run to it. What can I say, stupid lyrics aside, it's a fun song.

I've also gotten pretty good at ignoring the stupidity of the lyrics in current music. I think it's a coping mechanism to allow me to not have to keep listening to 80s/90s music. Even that's bad enough, but I guess that's a whole other topic.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Meh. It's just a song. No offense but you should get over it and move on.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it is a catchy tune. I seen it on YouTube before I ever heard it on Pandora. At first I thought she might have been bashing on skinny girls but couldn't get the beat out of my head. I have since really listened to the lyrics and disagree with the OP.

I would agree with some others that Nikki Minaj's new song is awful. She took a song that created a lot of controversy in its day and made it even more controversial if not down right nasty. Then again, anytime I see or hear her I either want to scratch my eyeballs out or stuff my ears full of cotton. I do not understand how that woman ever made it in the music industry.

Watch the video to Anaconda. Glorious. Glorious!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

I will not. You can't make me!!

lalala-o.gif
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    ^ This.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    ^ This.

I will work on that. Can anyone recommend a good therapist?
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You know what kind of song Pop music should do? A decent one.

And I noticed the other day that the majority of pop or rap songs I heard have an annoying noise in the background that loops through the whole song. What happened to not making annoying noises in songs and having music in it?
  • Project2015
    Options
    Welcome to America, where obesity is "genetic", but being gay is a "choice"
    The song basically tells skinny people that they need to eat a sandwich in order to find love.
    The fact is obesity has become a norm. in america, and people are looking for excuses to stay unhealthy, including shaming people for being skinny or in shape.
  • lekanto
    Options
    I would really like the song if it didn't have those nasty digs at thin women in it. I am overweight, and have spent most of my adulthood obese/morbidly obese. Even at my biggest, I never needed anyone to put down skinny, fit, non-curvy, or any other shape of women on my behalf. My mother grew up very small and underweight, and was hurt by people making fun of her for being skinny. I especially hate when people use "anorexic" as an insult.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Don’t think her original lyrics are offensive? Show me ONE hypothetical situation in which calling a girl a “stick-figure silicone Barbie-doll” would not be inappropriate, impolite, or a just plain awful thing to say, and I will donate $200 cash to the charity of your choice.

It's appropriate when you're talking about Valeria Lukyanova ..

The November Coalition appreciates your donation.

OP - are you going to post the receipt?
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    This is why I listen to classic rock and country music. Both genres don't care what shape you are as long as you have a vagina and don't look like a foot.

:drinker: :drinker:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

I took your advice.

Very Very Interesting!!!:blushing:
This discussion has been closed.