If you got no cellulite, come show it off
    'Cause that type of body's perfect from the bottom to the top

Yeah, my momma she told me you better watch your size
    boys like their hands to touch when they hold you at night
    You know those big meaty badonka-donks just don’t belong
    So, if that's what's you're into
    Then go ahead and move along
    I'm bringing skinny back
    Go ahead and tell them chubby *****es Hey! (No, I'm just playing)
    I know you think you're scrawny,
    But I'm here to tell you that,
    Thin girls are perfect from the bottom to the top

Are you offended at the above message? Uh, you should be! If these lyrics were the ones played on the radio, can you imagine the veritable ****storm the artist and radio stations playing it would be in for?? Furious calls would be rolling in for miles around, and the guilty artist would probably be shunned and blacklisted for like, ever.

WHY then, I ask you is it not only ok, but LAUDED for an artist to say the exact opposite? It’s ok to broadcast that curvy girls are prettier and more “chased” by boys, but absolutely verboten to say that skinny girls are more desirable? Lolwut?

I’ll give you the answer: it’s not ok. Ever. It is one thing to support girls of all sizes and celebrate out differences, but that is not what Meaghan Trainor is really saying. She’s pretty much saying that thin girls are not as attractive to men as thick girls. (See the original lyrics here: http://www.metrolyrics.com/all-about-that-bass-lyrics-meghan-trainor.html)

Hey, Meaghan? Listen up, dollface: It is not and never will be socially acceptable to uplift and empower one body type by dragging another type through the mud. It is petty and hateful, and smacks of sour grapes. Now, whether that is truly the case or not remains to be seen. I will give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she just does a p*ss-poor job of remaining unbiased and fair.

Don’t think her original lyrics are offensive? Show me ONE hypothetical situation in which calling a girl a “stick-figure silicone Barbie-doll” would not be inappropriate, impolite, or a just plain awful thing to say, and I will donate $200 cash to the charity of your choice. "Oh, but she was just kidding!" :noway: Really? Ok. Why don't I go around publicly insulting people, and tacking on "I'm just playin'!" at the end, and see how well that plays out for me.

What about those girls who are naturally very thin? Do you think they like to hear that girls who are naturally bigger are automatically sexier than they are? What sort of message are you sending to them? Saying your size doesn't dictate your self-worth goes both ways. And last time I checked, men love ALL types of bodies. To claim that males only prefer one type is ignorant at best, exclusive and hurtful at worst. I know that there is tremendous pressure perpetuated by the media to be thin and have their idea of a “perfect body”, but the right way to fight it is NOT by flipping 180° and bashing the body types that appear in magazines.

<---This is me. I worked HARD to get to this level of leanness, but before anyone jumps on me saying “it’s easy for you to say! You’re already thin!” I’ll let you in on a little secret: I do not look like this 365 days a year. In fact, there was only about a 7 day period where I looked anything like this, and it took MONTHS of boring dieting and hours and hours of miserable cardio to get to it. These pictures were taken by a talented photographer in a professional studio with flattering light. I was tanned up all to heck and smeared in glycerin to emphasize muscle striations. The same goes for every model on the cover of Cosmo and People magazine. Don’t be jealous of them, it’s not real. This is not me on a normal day, and I worked harder than anyone I personally know to get there. So for someone to refer to me as a “skinny b*tch”, however indirectly, well, I just dare you to say that to my face, because I’ll rip your head off. You have no comprehension what I went through to achieve this. Step off.
    So the girls who work very, VERY hard to maintain a healthy weight, or lost a lot of weight and feel great about their accomplishments? …Way to throw cold water in their faces, by telling them that what they worked is worth balls, because they were already perfect!
    You do not have to be a size two. There is no standard for beauty!! You do not have to be thin, or have a thigh gap, or a perfectly flat stomach to be attractive. All women have worth. But I was raised to believe that there is ALWAYS room for improvement. You should never hate your body, no matter its shape or size. But neither should you should be complacent or lazy. My dad taught me that goals to work toward are what keeps you happy and well-rounded. There is a fine line between loving your body and what it can do for you, and not caring to improve yourself.

{Disclaimers: I do not believe one word of the above parody lyrics. I wrote them to illustrate the cattiness and outright ridiculousness of lording one body type over another. Some lines are admittedly slightly exaggerated. Please don’t misunderstand this post to mean I am saying thin girls are “better than” thick girls or anything of that nature. I am simply pointing out the hypocrisy and double standard in the lyrics of Meaghan Trainor’s original lyrics}

Thoughts? Does anyone share my feelings toward this song? I think that Meaghan’s heart was most likely in the right place when writing this song, but her delivery absolutely sucked, big time.

tumblr_n166nke1QQ1rr49u0o1_500.gif

YEAH ITS PRETTY CLEAR I AIN'T NO SIZE 2 ... not 22
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

Maybe get a little kinky and plug him?

I do not consent!
    Can I picture you running away with your pants around your ankles?
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    What bothers me the most about the song, even before the name calling, is that what matters is whether a man finds your shape arousing, not whether you're happy, or healthy, or strong. Until I actually heard the song, it was another bubblegum pop tune. But I can't unhear the "skinny *****es" part, nor unsee the video where the only person with visible jiggly bits is a large man. So, he's okay? But the size 6-8 women are the "big" girls? Hmm.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    What it comes down to for me is that it's a song that doesn't change my daily life at all, so I just don't listen to it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have a question though... is mansplaining anything like manscaping?
  • swaistle
    swaistle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow loads of replies already on this thread haha!

There's obviously a couple of flaws with the song:
    * The whole deeming good enough for men by "having enough booty" for them
    * The body shaming of the slimmer build etcetc

But what you've got to take into consideration is minority here. I'm only 22 years old, but all my life I've been told via all kinds of media that the skinnier frame is the sexiest, the prettiest, the one that attracts people to you. So for me personally, it's nice to see some loving for bigger frames. I'm sick of hearing that fat people are unhealthy and unattractive.

To contradict a point of mine, why SHOULDN'T a larger woman be deemed attractive by males? What is so wrong about that?
    All types of women have a right to be as sexual as they like and be attractive to anyone - and that includes larger women. It's not promoting obesity because if you want to play that card then singing about slim girls promotes eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia.

And I'm going to honest here, I'm really annoyed that slim people are crying over a couple of songs that promote the fuller figure considering they've had generations/decades of support.

I agree the term "skinny b*****s" is very inappropriate and undo's years of feminist work. But to continue to move forward in feminism, why can't we show support for all frames?
  • swaistle
    swaistle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow loads of replies already on this thread haha!

There's obviously a couple of flaws with the song:
    * The whole deeming good enough for men by "having enough booty" for them
    * The body shaming of the slimmer build etcetc

But what you've got to take into consideration is minority here. I'm only 22 years old, but all my life I've been told via all kinds of media that the skinnier frame is the sexiest, the prettiest, the one that attracts people to you. So for me personally, it's nice to see some loving for bigger frames. I'm sick of hearing that fat people are unhealthy and unattractive.

To contradict a point of mine, why SHOULDN'T a larger woman be deemed attractive by males? What is so wrong about that?
    All types of women have a right to be as sexual as they like and be attractive to anyone - and that includes larger women. It's not promoting obesity because if you want to play that card then singing about slim girls promotes eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia.

And I'm going to honest here, I'm really annoyed that slim people are crying over a couple of songs that promote the fuller figure considering they've had generations/decades of support.

I agree the term "skinny b*****s" is very inappropriate and undo's years of feminist work. But to continue to move forward in feminism, why can't we show support for all frames?

the theory is that it would not be appropriate for slender girls to sing about being skinny and to refer to other ladies as "fat bi#$es"

or for slender women to make songs about big ghetto booties....

Somehow it is ok for larger people to celebrate being larger and to insult smaller people but not ok for smaller people to be insulting to bigger people

ALL ABOUT THAT BASS and ANACONDA

are sucky songs promoting poor health and lifestyles and should not be taken seriously

I mean I totally agree it's inappropriate it really is. I don't agree with any kind of shaming at all. But what I struggle to understand is that fat people have been shamed for years, absolute years. So they fight back with 2 songs and all hell breaks loose.

Yeah certain sizes are really unhealthy, but someone who is a little chubby can still be quite a healthy human. But they're screamed at that they're fat and unattractive and not allowed to be sexual in any way via all kinds of media. It's that that I really don't agree with. I think it's really unfair that skinnier people get glorified and because the limelight gets shown on a different frame just a tiny bit all of the sudden its "promoting unhealthy lifestyle". No it's not, it's showing that we're all human and we come in different shapes and sizes and we should learn to love and accept that. We all can't be teeny tiny frames with ripped abs, and even then what's deeming that as healthy exactly? Your appearance isn't what defines you as healthy, its how your insides function.

But just to highlight, I do totally agree that the shaming of skinnier figures is completely wrong. No shaming should occur. At all.

Also, I heard on the radio this morning that there's been a rise in eating disorders over the last three years. Primarily linked to this whole thinsporation thing. There's such a strive to be skinny that there needs to be media out there to say it's okay to be a healthy normal size or larger.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    36-24-36?
    ha ha.
    only if she's 5-3.
  • machinistgoalie
    Options
    Funny you brought this up. I was just thinking when I heard it how sick I am of the whole "fat acceptance" trend that's taking place. Loving yourself is one thing, but being encouraged to stay unhealthy and "fine the way you are" is only increasing the problem.
    $.01 $.01

I AGREE! I am sick of the acceptance too! For me to change my lifestyle was to realise that its awful way of living to be overweight or obese (and by awful I mean an ungrateful, selfish, lazy, and ignorant). Personally I had to get to the point where I was disgusted with myself and how I looked. I know that may sound extreme but it was too easy to ignore how I looked and felt, not look in the mirror and try not to think about how unhealthy I was. It seems like there are two kinds of media on weight, that its not okay to be underweight and that its okay to be large but where's the highlight on being healthy?! Americans choose to ignore that we're the fattest, most unhealthy country on earth.
    There's a movie coming out called Fed Up and I can't wait for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUbvOwwfWM

While I don't disagree with your sentiment and what you have to say, nor are Americans out of the running for the fattest on the planet, look to Mexico for having the title soon. Junk food companies and Coca-Cola have sunken thier claws into them, to the point they give the stuff out to kids in school at lunch time. Go capitalism!
  • machinistgoalie
    Options
    He's fit. Fat doesn't mean unfit.

QFT. Holla.
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    yup, i'll stick with my old school jams
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    36-24-36?
    ha ha.
    only if she's 5-3.

And here I was under the impression that 36-24-36 was "built like an amazon" (shake it down, shake it down now.)
  • Wondergirll
    Options
    Its only a song. I do not base my self worth on music, magazines or media. It affects me in no way.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    All this debating about Blurred Lines being rapey and I'm over here like "you know what I haven't had in a while? Big League Chew".

I always thought he was talking about getting weed from Jamacia in that song, since ya know, rastafarian and all that.

And I don't know why she's talking about bringing the booty back. I have a bigger booty than her.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    This is why I listen to classic rock and country music. Both genres don't care what shape you are as long as you have a vagina and don't look like a foot.

+10
  • Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 307 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Most of the offending content that has been reported has been removed, but due to the direction the thread has taken, I have decided to lock it at this point.

The forum guidelines include these items:

17. No Profane, Vulgar, or Sexually Explicit Language

No explicit, sexual, insulting or vulgar content including expletives, or sexual innuendo, will be permitted. This includes the use of non-alphabetical characters to approximate expletives or other objectionable language. Publicly visible text on MyFitnessPal should be work-place friendly.

We reserve the right to moderate a topic based on the intent of the sexual material it contains. Topics intended to titillate will be removed. Topics with medical or clinical themes related to sex or sexual health may be permitted, at our discretion.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Michelle
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.