The cold hard truth about Chipotle Burrito Bowls

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    If you people would not get the fatty stuff on the burrito/bowl, then the calorie count wouldn't be that far off as what they offer isn't that high calorie otherwise.

Cheese, sour cream and guac. adds up in a hurry though.

Fats are necessary, satiating and delicious. When I get burrito style bowls (admittedly at a chain other than Chipotle), I do lettuce instead of rice, black beans, salsa, cheese, sour cream, guac(sometimes) fajita veggies, jalepenos, etc.... I'd rather have the cheese and the sour cream rather than the rice, heh. Personal preference.

Thanks to the fact that they don't offer a lean meat, you get plenty of fat in the meat on a burrito bowl at chipotle, but regardless, assaulting fats was not my purpose there...

Heh. The term 'fatty stuff' gave me a false impression. My apologies and no worries. :drinker:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    If you people would not get the fatty stuff on the burrito/bowl, then the calorie count wouldn't be that far off as what they offer isn't that high calorie otherwise.

Cheese, sour cream and guac. adds up in a hurry though.
    But it's the rice they're overserving. Of course, because it's the cheap ingredient. Notice the expensive guac is pre-portioned so there is no worker discretion involved.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    I dig Chipotle when ever Im on a bulk plan. Lots of food for little price. Me and the GF actually ate there last night for a about $13sum. At the one I go to they have serving scoops to measure our the portions and if they dont I have learned to know what it looks like if I go to a different one.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Was having lunch with a colleague at Chipotle when he ordered a Burrito Bowl. He told me how its healthy and low on calories, what he ordered was something like 600-700 calories based on the calculator. I told him he needs to double the calorie count at the minimum to get a more accurate estimate of his calories, and he couldn't believe it. This is not the first time I've had this conversation with Chipotle eaters, and they all seem to not understand that Chipotle servers severely overportion their servings which can double the calorie count. Don't believe me? Order some food and weigh it in and compare it to your summation of the weight and calories on their calculator. In fact, someone else has already done that, but it was comparing it to the burrito with equivalent toppings. Guess what? The burrito bowl weighed 70% more than a burrito with the same contents, which means 70% more calories than the equivalent order for a burrito.

Check out this video for the experiment:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/more-food-in-chipotle-burrito-bowl-2013-2

Of course you can always try if you have a kitchen scale, and you'll realize the truth.

I LOVE BURRITO BOWLS

I get them post workout because it is calorically dense.....
    And taste good....
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    I disagree with the OP. This topic was already brought up a few weeks ago.

As one other poster mentioned, when it comes to chain restaurants, food portions is the biggest thing they have control over. An employee is not going to last long if they are giving 70% more than what corporate says should be utilized.

Also, I have been weighing and measuring my food now for 4 years and I am pretty good at estimating. I am fairly positive they are pretty close on their portions. Also as others have said, if this is a concern, do not get the high calorie stuff on it, get it on the side. Chipotle's is one of my go to restaurants when I am travelling for work. I sometimes treat myself to the full burrito, but usually just get the bowl or salad. I get the brown rice, chicken, black beans, a couple salsa's and that is it. Once in a while I will get cheese. This has never hindered my weight loss. What hindered my weight loss is when I get the big bag of chips and salsa with it. Good grief was heavy the next day :wink:

I will say though, when I do get the salad, I am disappointed I always have to ask for more lettuce. What part of salad don't they get.

Also, I have made a homemade version of the burrito bowl. Kind of interesting, I end up with more in my burrito bowls than Chipotle for less calories :huh:
  • MityMax96
    Was having lunch with a colleague at Chipotle when he ordered a Burrito Bowl. He told me how its healthy and low on calories, what he ordered was something like 600-700 calories based on the calculator. I told him he needs to double the calorie count at the minimum to get a more accurate estimate of his calories, and he couldn't believe it. This is not the first time I've had this conversation with Chipotle eaters, and they all seem to not understand that Chipotle servers severely overportion their servings which can double the calorie count. Don't believe me? Order some food and weigh it in and compare it to your summation of the weight and calories on their calculator. In fact, someone else has already done that, but it was comparing it to the burrito with equivalent toppings. Guess what? The burrito bowl weighed 70% more than a burrito with the same contents, which means 70% more calories than the equivalent order for a burrito.

Check out this video for the experiment:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/more-food-in-chipotle-burrito-bowl-2013-2

Of course you can always try if you have a kitchen scale, and you'll realize the truth.

Wait.

The burrito bowl had 70% more stuff in it? Was it the same price? Why would anyone be sad over this??

Exactly....
    I would not be sad one bit.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Where the hell is this Chipotle OP?! They never hook me up with more food when I get the burrito bowl!
    664046_zpsb23cdcbf.jpg

Edited because I have issues posting pictures.

Screw the burrito bowl, get a quesaritto and be happy.
    3959417119_its_beautiful_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg
  • MityMax96
    The burrito bowl how I order it is about 850 cals. Chipotle - Chicken Burrito Bowl - Double Chicken, Brown Rice, Pinto Beans, Medium Salsa, Corn Salsa, Cheese. I don't get any gaucamole or sour cream and I think that 850 cal estimate is pretty close. The standard meat serving is about 3-4 oz. max. With double meat I think it's pretty filling. Chipotle has an online calculator so you can estimate before you go. At my locations, they definitely are not over-generous except for maybe the rice.

That sounds like my workout day bowl I get
    But I do white rice and black beans (fiber).
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    rofl. Some maroon actually does that?!

**moron
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    I want Chipotle now. I haven't had it in ages, and there's one down the street. I'm experiencing guilt for having never gone there.

And No rice.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    While I can appreciate the desire to get the message out there, I don't get why people need to present it in such a dramatic manner. It's America, it's a restaurant. Yes the nutrition info is out there but as it says, it's a guideline. Toss half in a to go box for later or share with whomever you're with. There's no need for shock and awe over it.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    664046_zpsb23cdcbf.jpg

No. This can't be true.
    shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

You can order it, but they (the chipotle guy) will hate you for it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Meh...my lunch is typically around 600 - 800 calories...that has nothing to do with the actual nutritional content and whether or not it's healthy.

also, anyone who is surprised about a restaurant serving and calorie content in restaurant food is just oblivious....I'm always surprised that people are surprised...it's a bit ridiculous...
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    It's not Chipotles fault though.
    I think it is their fault if their posted nutritional info is purposely understating their portion sizes by 70%.

Their calculator gives 190 calories for 4 oz of rice, which is about 1 scoop. If you order rice, and watch them throw scoop after scoop in there, whose damn fault is that?
    Are we supposed to always pre-research how an item is prepped and the size of the restaurant scoops and keep count while the person makes it, when we eat out? How would you even do that someplace where you're not watching the prep? You'd have to deconstruct your food and weigh each piece.

Generally I order an item and trust the web site N.I. for the item. Knowing I can't do that at Chipotle is good info.

Are you really this dense, or are you just looking for a fight? Sheesh. Just don't eat it then. More deliciousness for me.
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    This is my only go-to place to eat out usually. Sure; if you get everything they offer into your bowl with double the portions then it will be a lot of calories. (By the way; my chipolte is stingy with everything so i cant see what you're talking about when it comes to more food in the bowl) I eat here at least once or twice a week and it never hinders my fitness journey.

i will never stop eating chipotle. honestly, if i could eat here every day; i would. LOL
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I think it is their fault if their posted nutritional info is purposely understating their portion sizes by 70%.

Their calculator gives 190 calories for 4 oz of rice, which is about 1 scoop. If you order rice, and watch them throw scoop after scoop in there, whose damn fault is that?
    Are we supposed to always pre-research how an item is prepped and the size of the restaurant scoops and keep count while the person makes it, when we eat out? How would you even do that someplace where you're not watching the prep? You'd have to deconstruct your food and weigh each piece.

Generally I order an item and trust the web site N.I. for the item. Knowing I can't do that at Chipotle is good info.

Yes. Personal responsibility, for the win.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Deja Vu, much? Didn't we JUST have this thread.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    in.
    because cats.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    664046_zpsb23cdcbf.jpg

No. This can't be true.
    shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

You can order it, but they (the chipotle guy) will hate you for it.

Why? I never go there but I'd really love to try that. Or I guess I could try and make my own at home...
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member

Yes. Personal responsibility, for the win.

giphy.gif