WILL I GAIN WEIGHT?PLEASE HELP?

Options

Replies

• Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Okay okay guys take a chill pill.I am RECOVERING from an eating disorder SLOWLY by increasing my calorie intake SLOWLY because I don't want to shock my body with a huge amount of food at a time.Basically I'm at 800 cal per day now and I'm increasing it to 900-1000 in the next two weeks or so.Please don't look at the older posts because I do realise I have an eating disorder.Honestly,I would REALLY RATHER eat 200 cal worth of avocados than 200cal worth of crackers.Im just having a hard time accepting the fact that I ate so much of unhealthy food at once.Sigh.

If you are panicking over eating this 'much', you aren't eating 800 calories a day (you are way under), and you aren't in recovery.

Please, seek help for this. Eating disorders can be fatal.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    if you are feeling guilty about what you just posted about then yes i would be afraid of gaining the weight back. because its hard to make healthy choices for ourselves when we are in the midst of beating ourselves up.

take a deep breadth. don't keep trigger foods in the house. and don't deprive yourself at your next meal to "make up for it" that's a bad cycle to start. move on from your "snack" eat a nice healthy rounded meal for your next meal and move on.

no one gained ALL their weight back from a few snacks. but "feeling guilty" thats a problem worth exploring
  • jmmurray203
    jmmurray203 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You won't shock your body by eating more unless you have been a prisoner of war and only fed bread crumbs for the past year or something like that. If anything your body is already being shocked because it is being underfed, malnourished, and possibly metabolizing muscle.

It sounds like you should consider visiting a dietitian.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I think you need to talk to someone. To me this has the makings of an ED.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    No one can recover on their own from an eating disorder. You need professional help whether you want it or not, or it could claim your life. I wish that was an overstatement but it's not.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you didn't eat "so much" unhealthy food at once. you ate a small amount of not particularly unhealthy foods. 100 calories of crackers or 100 calories of avocado adds up to 100 calories. second, carbs are healthy, normal to eat and your body is designed to use them. the "avoid carbs" thing is pretty much a fad diet unless you have diabetes or something like that. heck, i have diabetes and i eat carbs AND lose weight.

if you're eating more than you expect, your body is probably smarter than you as you need more calories than you're currently eating. you're basically starving, and can add 300 to 400 calories to your day without hurting yourself or getting heavy. really.
  • Loxoxve
    Options
    really??? -.-..... im struggling here not to eat the oreos i have hidden in my closet....i had fried chicken today so my azz is on the tredmill while my bf is asleep. its okay to eat unhealthy everyone slips. just exercise it off. easy. (cries as legs start to hurt)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    really??? -.-..... im struggling here not to eat the oreos i have hidden in my closet....i had fried chicken today so my azz is on the tredmill while my bf is asleep. its okay to eat unhealthy everyone slips. just exercise it off. easy. (cries as legs start to hurt)

I doubt your working out at night and eating fried chicken today compares to the OP having an eating disorder. You're comparing apples to oranges. Please read the previous posts. You're encouraging her ED behaviors by saying "it's okay to eat unhealthy. Exercise it off" when she still under-ate and did not eat "unhealthy" foods.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Okay okay guys take a chill pill.I am RECOVERING from an eating disorder SLOWLY by increasing my calorie intake SLOWLY because I don't want to shock my body with a huge amount of food at a time.Basically I'm at 800 cal per day now and I'm increasing it to 900-1000 in the next two weeks or so.Please don't look at the older posts because I do realise I have an eating disorder.Honestly,I would REALLY RATHER eat 200 cal worth of avocados than 200cal worth of crackers.Im just having a hard time accepting the fact that I ate so much of unhealthy food at once.Sigh.

Read your post several times - where's the "unhealthy food"? Didn't see any. keep in mind - a comatose person burns more than 800 calories a day doing nothing more than lying in bed and breathing. at 800, whether it's 800 calories of celery, 800 calories of bacon, or 800 calories of twinkies, you're still at a tremendous deficit. Talk to someone about your eating disorder.
  • p_emmel5
    p_emmel5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

At least you realize you have an eating disorder. That's the first step to fixing it. Any disorder/ obsession is a continual battle to overcome. Professional assistance is just another weapon in the battle for you to utilize. There are very few people that fix their addictions/ disorders on their own. My advice is right there with the majority of replies.... see somebody but you might also want to add a nutritionist. Not that you don't eat healthy already, but to help you understand food isn't your enemy (even the food you deem as bad). The experts can correct me if I am wrong, but too thin is just as damaging at too heavy. The health issues are just in a different category especially for young women.

And in response to your OP: No worries, you won't gain weight with the occasional extra items you mentioned. I know with any type of disorder the little things can be huge, but in the situation you described there in no way you would gain an ounce. Now, if you said you went crazy with a couple thousand extra calories we might agree that you might gain an ounce or two.

Remember: Remember to strive for "Fit". Is the best look/ lifestyle for all of us, no matter if we start our journey over or under weight.

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted with your battle :wink:
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    if you're eating more than you expect, your body is probably smarter than you as you need more calories than you're currently eating.

Very true.
  • gcdn
    gcdn Posts: 42
    Options

At least you realize you have an eating disorder. That's the first step to fixing it. Any disorder/ obsession is a continual battle to overcome. Professional assistance is just another weapon in the battle for you to utilize. There are very few people that fix their addictions/ disorders on their own. My advice is right there with the majority of replies.... see somebody but you might also want to add a nutritionist. Not that you don't eat healthy already, but to help you understand food isn't your enemy (even the food you deem as bad). The experts can correct me if I am wrong, but too thin is just as damaging at too heavy. The health issues are just in a different category especially for young women.

And in response to your OP: No worries, you won't gain weight with the occasional extra items you mentioned. I know with any type of disorder the little things can be huge, but in the situation you described there in no way you would gain an ounce. Now, if you said you went crazy with a couple thousand extra calories we might agree that you might gain an ounce or two.

Remember: Remember to strive for "Fit". Is the best look/ lifestyle for all of us, no matter if we start our journey over or under weight.

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted with your battle :wink:

Wow you're actually the ONLY ONE on myfitnesspal not reprimanding me and giving advices in a subtle way.Anyway,I'll be moving back to my parents' place in less than two months after I'm done with my a levels,and that leaves me 3 months with them before I start uni which also means 3 months not counting calories and lesser obsession over food I guess.Idk I tend to feel more relaxed and eat more when I'm at home plus it's impossible to count calories in my mom's cooking.So I guess it'll all be better when I'm back home?
  • devyldergisela
    Options
    hey you can eat as long you are not going over the calories you can have , but it is dangeres to eat les than that for a long time !!!!
    So pleace eat the amount that yoy NEED
  • devyldergisela
    Options
    JUST READING YOUR POST ? GOOD FOR YOU THAT YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT ;
  • mspianobug
    mspianobug Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Take it easy, you are doing great.
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    oh. i thought this was a joke.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Hi OP. I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with an ED. I do hope you continue to seek the help you need to fully recover. That help can't come from here. With that in mind, questions like this one that you posted are probably thoughts to discuss with professionals that are helping you get better as I'm sure they know better how to answer in a way you'll connect with and ultimately understand.

I"ll try my best to set your mind at ease by saying, no you will not gain weight from what you ate. It was actually a very reasonable snack. You'll have to get use to that idea.

Keep this in mind...does one healthy meal or one workout make you lose weight? It does not. The same goes for gaining weight. No one meal or lack of a workout will have an effect on your weight. It's all the meals you eat and all the workouts you have combine that cause that kind of change.

I do hope you continue to work on your relationship with food and come to a healthy place about it. In the future, you might also want to start out your posts by getting the recovering ED part out of the way so people do know it's something you are actively working on. You do have a skewed relationship with food and if you don't want to get that response from others in reply to your questions, you should probably just put it out there right away as an acknowledged problem. Best of luck OP.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    It looks like most of your posts, and all the threads you've started, are asking if you're eating too much,
    and people keep telling you no, you're not eating enough.
    Holy crap I feel so guilty right now. I started off the day healthily, steel cut oatmeal (water + blackberries) (170kcal).an apple, some boiled red beans and plain greek yogurt for lunch (220kcal).
    And after lunch was when the culprit began luring me into eating unhealthily. I ate a packet (6 pieces) of jacobs high calcium (81kcal), a mini sunmaid raisin (42kcal) AND 8 nabisco reduced fat wheat thins (64kcal) all while reading a book.
    My god I tend to have better control of myself at night when I don't snack but I usually snack the most during the day.
    I felt so guilty I only had 2 boiled egg whites and some sugar snap peas for dinner and that's it. I feel so guilty will I gain weight?? I really don't want to gain back the weight I've lost, plus I don't usually have crackers but when I do, I can't stop. God I think I'm gonna throw them all away for good.
    That's definitely the disordered & unhealthy brain talking.
    You know better.
    Go back to seeing your therapist as often as you can. Daily, 3x a week, whatever.
    You are endangering your health & life.

What you've listed calorie totals for is 577 for breakfast, lunch, & a snack. Add _maybe_ 100 for dinner, probably not even that much, and you're close to what you should have had just for breakfast.

I don't know what the "jacobs high calcium" is, but a tiny box of raisins & 8 wheat thins is not unhealthy, not a binge, and actually is close to a reasonable snack (200 - 300 cal). If you'd had a piece of cheese with all that it would have been perfect.

I'm 5'6 And in the past few months, weighing 55-56kg I've embarked on a grueling workout regime and strict diet and finally got down to 48kg. I'm really happy and satisfied with all my efforts and my weight now and my weight has even dropped to 46-47kg.
    So you used to be at a low-healthy weight (121) but you're now dangerously underweight at 103... and still worried about gaining weight, obsessing over every calorie.
    Yes, you definitely need to get back in touch with your therapist, because you're backsliding.
    Call today, before you harm yourself any more.
    05JUL14 I'm 18,110lbs and 5"6
    According to BMI, a healthy weight range for your height is 115 - 150.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    The middle of that range is 132.

Harvard Medical School says that to maintain a particular weight while being moderately active (30 min of exercise a day) you need 15 cal per lb.
    132 x 15 = 1980 cal per day
    Heck, start with a target of maintaining at least the minimum healthy weight: 115 x 15 = 1725 cal per day

15JUL14 I think I'll most prolly go back to eating around 700 cal tmr ...
    my only concern is that, for the days to come, if I go back to my usual calorie intake, will the weight I gain today go off?
    You should be having 700 cal just for breakfast.
    And no, you're not going to gain or lose an appreciable amount of weight in one day.

06JUL14 each meal makes me very full. It's so hard to meet my calorie goal
    Add: nuts, nut butter, full-fat dairy, cheese, avocado, fatty fish like salmon
  • reachingforarainbow
    Options
    Hello OP

I think you need to understand what your priorities are here, are you trying to recover or are you trying to maintain your weight.

TBH, there is a definite possibility that you will gain a bit in recovery INITIALLY

But if you are at a healthy weight, I do not see any reason why once you start eating properly for a while, your weight will reach an equilibrium.

I do understand trying to recover on your own. I have been trying for around 8 years.... a bit long. It is possible (but takes longer, and I'm still not 100% recovered), but you do need someone to keep you accountable (like a parent, even if your 18, they are a big help and will watch out to make sure that you aren't slipping too much, or a sibling or a friend) I also would advise seeing a doctor, even if you don't want treatment. They can test for deficiencies and keep an eye on your health (things like problems with your heart, electrolyte levels) which can get out of whack when you finally start eating more or if you continue on the path of restricting.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    under eating is more likely to make you put weight on that you would if you went over yor calories
    ... If you continue to under eat daily, your body will start to store more fat as a reserve
    No. Just, no.
    Eating fewer calories than you need will cause you to lose weight.
    The body first uses glucose (blood sugar) to fuel the chemical reactions which make us run,
    then glycogen (stored carbohydrates),
    then fat,
    then protein.
    It saves protein for last because we need our heart & diaphragm in order to live, and the rest of our muscles to get away from danger, into shelter, & find food. _That_ is starvation mode, and it's hard to get the body to do because it's life-threatening.

She has been eating so few calories for so long that she's probably running on what few calories she eats (converted to glucose) and on muscle.
    The body will not store calories while it is starving. Fat is stored calories.
    I'm betting her periods have stopped too. That's common when there's not enough fat in the body to support a viable pregnancy.

I'm surprised your not ill eating that little amount of food each day when you consider your age.
    Anyone over maybe 3 yo should be eating more than 800 cal per day.
    (Well, anyone of average height... someone who's short enough that 80 lb is a reasonable & healthy weight would be fine.)

your body is already being shocked because it is being underfed, malnourished, and possibly metabolizing muscle
    Yes, this.

you're actually the ONLY ONE on myfitnesspal not reprimanding me and giving advices in a subtle way
    Most of us aren't being subtle at all, we're trying to slap you in the face & get you to understand that you're endangering your life and you need to see your doctor, and preferably also a therapist who specializes in eating disorders.
    And we're not reprimanding you, we're concerned & alarmed and trying to convey that to convince you to change what you're doing to yourself.