Giving up sugar and white flour forever.

Options
Is there anyone who has done it? It is not as extreme as going vegan, but I wonder if white flour and white sugar-free is a thing. Does anyone have tips on how to give it up? :)

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As a vegan for 15 years on the most un extreme diet I can think of words almost fail me and I'm probably going to regret replying too this. My question is what's wrong with white flour and sugar which can be a part of any blanced diet
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Well there's quite a few companies and people that have made a lot of money marketing such a concept. Personally I'm making braised rabbit with home made parpadelle and focaccia.........really like the time spent making this bread......the double rise and using tomatoes and herbs from my garden and roasting some garlic from a neighbour........can't for the life of me see where this will shorten my time on this planet.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Naw
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My question is what's wrong with white flour and sugar which can be a part of any blanced diet

That's my question too. OP, there is no reason to give that stuff up. Plus, I seriously doubt that ANYONE could sustain that kind of restriction long term.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Vegan is extreme? Man, giving up sugar would be extreme at least for me personally. And white flour. Mmmm.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    6c56c9c4ea64a00f17c478d0eb1b646aa59a39df5fca29a33133488b62589c93.jpg
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I did it.....It was the best decision I ever made with regard to food. I cannot believe the changes it has made in my life. I lost weight and a host of other health issues have disappeared. Not sure it will work for everyone (although I like to think it would). I can only speak for myself. I am never going back to it. :)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I think you'll find that going white sugar and white flour free is probably as extreme as they come.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone who has done it? It is not as extreme as going vegan, but I wonder if white flour and white sugar-free is a thing. Does anyone have tips on how to give it up? :)

Once you go white, nothing else is right.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    how can you know if youve done something forever?

How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real - Jaden Smith
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Veganism is EASY compared to giving up white flour and sugar.

why would you want to do that? It's possible to be healthy and eat these(moderation moderation moderation)

I've lost 48 pounds and i eat "junk" all the time

hell with dinner i had 3 large biscuits and a pumpkin pie brownie lol
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have had no problems giving them up. I just avoid ready made stuff mostly. I feel better for it . My main benefits have been food cravings gone and rarely get hungry between meals now.
  • camillekluge
    Options
    I think you should try and De-Tox your body of both for awhile to see if there are any health benefits.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Kinda ironic that vegans find this to be very extreme......I found that interesting. carry on. :happy:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I think you should try and De-Tox your body of both for awhile to see if there are any health benefits.

How can you de-tox from something that is not toxic in the first place?
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Check out Sarah Wilson's "I Quit Sugar"... She has an 8 week program that eases you into giving up that stuff. The book makes it really simple and fairly painless. Plus she has lots of pretty pictures :)
    I've been cutting it out for a while and while it was hard at first--- I'm starting to feel amazing!

One of her first tips is to not label it as giving it up FOREVER. Just a day at a time and see how it goes... so much of it is mental.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    are you going to continue to eat brown sugar?
  • neanderthin
    Options

How can you de-tox from something that is not toxic in the first place?
    Detox is generally meant as a weaning period, at least that's how <i've been interpreting it for the most part unless of course the mention of chemicals come up, then all bets are off.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Is this anything like saying "I'm never drinking again" after a night of binge drinking?

OP, I decided that the wisest decision was to use moderation. A little here and a little there. But to not give it up entirely.

It's is difficult. Sugar is naturally occurring in everything. If you eat whole grains, you're eating a naturally-occurring sugar.

If you eat carrots, you're eating a naturally-occurring sugar.

And then there's bagels. Bagels, OP. Bagels.