How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in every week at the same time, after the same activities, in similar clothes... Previously I've weighed-in everyday and I've tried it once a month. 1x/week works the best for me as I just become a little obsessed with the number if I do it daily (and once a month is too long a wait... a weight... haha, I crack myself up).

As someone else said, if you can handle the fluctuations that daily weigh-ins bring, it's very interesting to see the effect "little" things have on you!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in every Friday, first thing in the morning. Now, I weigh myself every day. It's become a bad habit, and I need to break away. However, I do only check my weight in on MFP every Friday.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hardly ever. I use to weigh myself once a week but now I go by look and feel.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Every day. Partly to monitor the fluctuations, but as I've done it longer, I feel like weighing less often would give me more of an opportunity to slack off and fall off from what I've been doing.
  • chasgrey
    chasgrey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Everyday. Buttttttt, I only log it on days that have gone down, or if it stays elevated a few days I put those numbers in too. I know my weight changes in both directions due to life. But that is the good part of this app, when you do go up in weight, you will know why. It's not a bad thing, it happens. Understanding why it happened is the key to long term success.

I found that understanding why my weight changed was important to me. I also found that by not being on a diet, but holding myself accountable for what happens increased my awareness, which in turn allowed me to lose weight.:wink:

So bottom line, weigh yourself as often as you want, or not.... Just hold yourself accountable
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to the scales (during other weight-loss journeys throughout my lifetime)... but when I made up my mind FOR GOOD to get rid of this 100 extra pounds, I promised myself to only weigh once a week - Saturday morning, as soon as I get up. been at this for 6 weeks now. so far, so good. I look forward to Saturday morning! (and that's tomorrow!!)
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Everyday. Buttttttt, I only log it on days that have gone down, or if it stays elevated a few days I put those numbers in too. I know my weight changes in both directions due to life. But that is the good part of this app, when you do go up in weight, you will know why. It's not a bad thing, it happens. Understanding why it happened is the key to long term success.

I found that understanding why my weight changed was important to me. I also found that by not being on a diet, but holding myself accountable for what happens increased my awareness, which in turn allowed me to lose weight.:wink:

So bottom line, weigh yourself as often as you want, or not.... Just hold yourself accountable

THIS!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    No more than twice a month

29509743.png[/url
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I'm basically just logging my weight on days when I first record another pound of weight loss, and tracking the average over time (easy with MFP reports). I do not record the daily fluctuations.

With the MFP calorie/exercise tracking, I can almost predict when I should see another pound lost, but even that can be off by a few days in some cases. Still though, the trend shoudl be downwards for what I'm doing and the daily recording is how I keep track of that.
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    Used to be every day - or at least 5 or 6 days a week if I forgot or stayed at a friend's one day.

Now, even though I'd like to weigh myself every day, I don't. This is for one of many reasons e.g. I'm so hungry I eat then I realise I forgot to weigh myself (I do it in the mornings on an empty stomach in my underwear to keep reliability), or I get up early and rush out and just forget.

So now it's probably 2 or 3 times a week. I've ordered some scales for my university bathroom though, so if they're there when I do my morning pee, I'll probably just step on them quick and go back to weighing myself every day.
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    But that is the good part of this app, when you do go up in weight, you will know why. It's not a bad thing, it happens. Understanding why it happened is the key to long term success.

So bottom line, weigh yourself as often as you want, or not....

This part of your post is exactly what I try and reply to posts and forums where people are saying weighing yourself everyday is bad. For me, it's good because it helps in the same way you explain here. Thank you for this :)
  • dannyxtyler
    dannyxtyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Usually 2-3 times per week. I just do it when I think about it, but only if I haven't consumed anything yet that day.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use the Happy Scale app to record daily weigh-ins but I weigh in for updates here on a Friday (and do measurements once a month).

I find my Wii Fit to be wildly off from my scales but then again it's on a rug in front of my TV so I don't pay it that much heed! I go on the measurements from my bathroom scales when I get up.
  • butterflies4freedom
    Options
    OK-so..... STOP weighing yourself everyday. :wink: Unless you have fluid restrictions, COPD or some other kind of disease that you must do this for. I am telling you. If you're like most people who get discouraged by not "seeing" results, this will only make you upset. YOU can do EVERYTHING right-track your food, excercise, drink your water, and STILL gain weight or not lose any. I say only weigh yourself once a week, and make it the same time each time. Early morning right when you get up is the best, in my opinion. Measure your results not by the scale, but by how you feel, and how your clothes are fitting. Good Luck!! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I wake up. If you're the type who gets discouraged by seeing weight fluctuations then don't do it. For me, I find that it keeps me accountable.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    everyday! I like to look for trends over time etc
  • kierranclarke
    kierranclarke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself everyday is not good mentally (personal preference), and weight will fluctuate so much due to water retention, the amounts of carbs you eat, woman's cycle and a whole host of other factors.

I weight myself once a week, and take pictures every 4 weeks for comparisons. I also have something called a Myotape, with which i measure myself once a week in 9 places (chest, top belly, belly button, bottom belly, hips, arms, thighs) for absolute accuracy and progress. Simple to use, so accurate.

I also always weigh myself in the morning, after going to to the toilet, and before eating or drinking so this does not skew the scale results. Keep it consistent and the same each time.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday, Wednesday, & Friday morning, right after I get out shower. That way it's all me and I can't "rationalize" that some of the weight is due to clothes. It's all about accuracy and accountability.
  • fboosman
    fboosman Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself every morning after loo and before intake; I then enter my weight into fitbit, and it syncs with MFP and trendweight. Easy! It eliminates the fretting over normal fluctuations.

+1

I do exactly the same thing, except I have a Withings Wi-Fi scale and it uploads to their site automatically, which then syncs with MFP. I'm able to look at the graph in the Withings app and see a) the normal little 1-2% fluctuations over time, but also b) the very clear downward trendline. When I hit a plateau for a few days or longer, I look at the graph and am reminded of previous plateaus and the significant weight loss that followed them.

It's not for everyone, though. I'm a bit of a quant when it comes to things like this, so it works for me. But it doesn't work for some people. My nutritionist has some patients who only weigh themselves once a month, and a few who never weigh themselves except during appointments, which might be eight weeks or more apart. There's no single right answer—it really depends on one's personality.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Whenever the mood strikes. I'm not trying to lose weight anymore so I just check to see how things are once in a while.