I'm failing my kids!

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm of the "IF you don't buy it crowd", so just cut down on it a bit.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    just try and limit the junk you buy, also maybe make your own bars/snacks for home, look for healthy recipes and get them to help :)

I alway say I'm going to do this.. and never do.. I HAVE started to portion out grapes and other snacks. My bottom level of my fridge is always full of clean fruits and portioned out snacks of veggies and fruits. I also keep a good amount of pre portioned cheeses like babybell. Yogurts are on this level also. Anything I am ok with them just grabbing when they are looking for a quick snack.

AND IT WORKED! I started this a few weeks ago and it was brilliant! Keep a variety of fruits cleaned and easy to grab. It doesn't take too long either.

Trying to help our children be healthy we sometimes have to try and be creative :)
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Typically 5.30-6pm. But they started eating well when my husband bribed them with dessert if they finished their dinner...

Probably not what you want to hear, but I've never thought food (especially crappy ones) should be used as a reward. I thought it just encouraged a kid to manipulate the situation to get what they want.

Your kids WILL NOT STARVE if they don't eat the food that you pack. Even if they NEVER eat lunch. But, they'll develop a taste for good food eventually. But you need to fix this before they become teenagers and you lose even more control as they develop social lives that keep them out of the house longer, and they need the tools to make good choices.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    They probably don't like lots of other foods because sugary foods taste awesome. Once they get used to developing their taste buds a bit, they will learn to like more foods. If you are worried that they are already pretty thin, increase the fat you use in cooking if possible.

Everyone has a few foods on the "NO list," but if nearly all foods are on your kids', they've either got to branch out for their own learning (adaptability, flexibility), or they have figured out that mom won't take away the sugar if they don't eat the rest of it. If my mom had given me pizza for every meal because I wouldn't eat anything else, I would have grown up on pizza and pizza only.

The site chocolatecoveredkatie.com has some bean based desserts that are really good. Try making the chickpea chocolate chip blondies. I added protein powder to a cupcake recipe today and it came out great. At least for me, dessert foods with more protein and fiber help me not overeat. Make one dessert a week and let the kids know that when it's gone, it's gone until the next Sunday when you make something new.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OP, I think it takes a lot of guts to come on here and admit that you're doing something you want to improve and open yourself to criticism. I just wanted to say that. Your post actually got me thinking a lot about my own kids, so I really appreciate your vulnerability on this thread.

Just wanted to say that in case you feel like you've received more criticism than encouragement on the responses here. ;)
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't like many veggies - I wasn't raised with them.

One of my friends has 3 "don't eat" items - nothing from a place with a drive through, no food with a commercial, and nothing from a pink box.

I'm not as strict as he is - what works for him won't work for me.

For snacks, start with what you model. That will be their first baseline.

Personally, I like red bell peppers and cucumbers, and love both of those with hummus. I will also eat cherry tomatoes.

If you model crudités and cheese cubes as party foods, there is a better chance of your kids thinking of them as fun snacks rather than boring must eat alternatives.

You are mom, not a short order cook or a caterer.

Pick your battles. A friend of mine is strict with her son's breakfast Monday through Friday; weekends he can get himself a bowl of his choice of cereal.

Yes, they will protest and resist. And if you have relented, they will try resisting to your relent point.

You and your husband do need to have a unified message.

But missing occasional meals and snacks is not the end of world.

Buy some fruit and veggie party trays, and see what goes because it's prepped and there. Add hummus or Greek yogurt or cream cheese and see what works.

If party trays work, involve your kids in the prep. Or spring for party trays. The cost is a trade off against convenience and variety. Do what works for you.

My snacks are apples, berries, bananas, "lite" salami, cherry tomatoes, red, yellow and orange (but not green) bell peppers, hummus, and weighed out portions (one ounce) of cheese. An apple, an ounce of cheese, and 7 walnuts can be an on the go breakfast.

A Wasa cracker with cream cheese and turkey can be a snack; 2 graham cracker squares with cream cheese can be a dessert.

I posted elsewhere that a weighed out portion of Golden Grahams and 4 oz. of milk was a dessert for me now. It could also be a snack.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Typically 5.30-6pm. But they started eating well when my husband bribed them with dessert if they finished their dinner...

This is not about the beautiful twins. This is about you and your husband. I hope he can get on board.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    My advice is to quit letting your kids run your kitchen.

I 1000% agree with this.

I'm a mom of 4 kids; 10, 7, 4 and 1 and they eat what I buy and what I make. They know not to ask for dessert and are ultra happy when I surprise them with something randomly. They don't eat their meal, it gets saved for whenever they announce their hunger. Or veggies from dinner are mixed into breakfast's scramble or burrito.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, we got one (count 'um ONE) "hate" food. When that was served, we got to pass. Other than that, we were expected to eat at least half of everything on our plates.
    They will eat veggies at dinner, I guess I'll make a list of what's acceptable as snacks and see what they'll eat from there when they come back from school... thanks for the ideas.

Make it a list of healthy snacks, not what they dictate, or I don't think you'll make much progress. I'm not sure bribing and bargaining will work that well for you. Sound like they've become accustomed to sugar so it's not going to be easy for them to give it up voluntarily. It's not for adults! But once they do, as someone else pointed out, their taste-buds will adapt and they'll enjoy fresh fruit more... I know I sure do now that I've cut processed sugar way down. Processed foods generally have lots of sugar and lots of salt.

The web is a wonderful resource. Try googling something like "healthy snacks and meals for kids".

After a couple seconds of looking, here's a list (article was targeting lowering fat in kids diet but you get the idea):

Examples of kid-friendly healthy snack combinations include:

Sandwiches made with meats or peanut butter
    Crunchy vegetable sticks with low-fat ranch dip
    Hummus and pita wedges
    Yogurt parfait with low-fat yogurt and fruit
    Slice of leftover pizza
    Fruit smoothie made in a blender with fresh fruit, yogurt, and juice
    Sliced tomato with mozzarella cheese
    Melon cubes with a slice of turkey
    Hard-boiled egg with a slice of whole-wheat bread
    Low-fat yogurt with berries and almonds
    "Light" microwave popcorn with grated parmesan cheese
    Bowl of cereal with milk
    Banana slices with peanut butter

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/secrets-of-healthy-snacks-for-kids?page=2

Good for you for recognizing a problem and addressing it now. Just your example as you improve your own diet is a great first step in taking control of your kids' diet to insure their health!
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options

If they don't eat the sandwiches you provide them for lunch, what do they eat? Do they buy junk with their pocket money?

Just the fruit and the cookie I sometimes give them.

Keep making excuses...that's working well.

Yeah clearly I'm making excuses for what my kids won't eat, because it's my fault they don't like some things.
    Are they really picky, or are they used to whining until they get what they want? Tastes can change. I used to hate pretty much all veggies and had to force myself to eat them. Now, I enjoy most of them. I was also a sugar addict - pop and anything super sugary. Now pop (soda) and many store-bought sugary treats - like cupcakes - are way to sweet to me. They will whine for awhile, but they can get used to snacks they "don't like".

As for yogurt - I make mine with a large container of plain fat-free yogurt and mix in a package of fat-free, sugar-free cheesecake pudding mix. You can use other flavors as well.

You can also buy almonds that are coated with a little vanilla or cocoa that adds just a little sweetness.

Breakfast - it takes me no time to make an egg and throw it on an english muffin every morning with a slice of cheese. You can even cook the egg in a coffee mug in the microwave in 1 minute. Other breakfast options - a bagel, english muffin with pb, or start with LESS sugary cereals to start backing off.

This is not about your kids choices...it's about yours.

Yeah but what good does it do if they go to school hungry because they won't eat? My son is almost underweight already and only giving him things that I know he won't eat is not going to make much good. They don't like PB but they might eat it with cream cheese, so I'll try that. Or maybe I'll start with low sugar cereal.

For the yogurt, I'm not really comfortable giving my kids artificial sweeteners when it's not really needed (plus honestly I find the sugar free pudding mixes awful).

They will eat veggies at dinner, I guess I'll make a list of what's acceptable as snacks and see what they'll eat from there when they come back from school... thanks for the ideas.

WAIT!?!?! :noway:

You buy SUGARY cereals, but you WON'T give them "artificially flavored" yogurts/jello/pudding mixes? o.O

I suggest taking a Nutritional Class, to learn how to read labels and ingredient lists...especially on those Cereal Boxes...
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 year old and 3.5 year old. This is going to sound unpleasant, but you are the parent. Don't buy the foods that you don't want the kids to eat. You have control over what comes into the house.

Having said that, I'll tell you what works for my kids. Lots of fruit. I let the kids eat as many apples/bananas, also sliced carrot sticks and celery sticks as they want. I let them get these foods on their own. I also do not buy any of the flavored yogurt or oatmeal packets, cereals, etc. Instead, I buy plain greek yogurt and rolled or steel cut oats and add honey to it. That way I control how much extra sweetness is added. And honestly, the kids don't need very much honey to be satisfied. On the rare occasion that I buy juice, I water it down so much that it's barely even juice.

I do let the kids have cupcakes, ice cream, etc. at birthday parties. I'm not denying my kids treats; I just don't bring sweets into the house very often...mainly, b/c I don't want the temptations around me.

ditto EVERYTHING and her lunch recs she posted below this post :)
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    mom of 5 here to say simply
    the kids will not starve if they do not get the snacks they like
    the choice they have is the snack you offer
    or nothing
    stick to it
    yes they will whine
    yes they will complain
    tell them the sugary snacks are treats you get them on special occasions they are not for everyday
    there is a limit to the snacks as well if they have graham crackers have two then done
    the lowest sugar yogurt is Dannon light and fit
    I also changed the Jelly we eat we get Polaner all fruit
    say no now and remember you are not their friend you are mom

AMEN!
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My kids know that whatever is left over in their lunch box becomes their after school snack. Didn't eat that ham and cheese sandwich? You are eating it at home. Ate all your lunch? Get to pick your after school snack. It has worked well for us and cuts down on food waste.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    as for cereal place this on the table "grape nuts"...."cheerios"....neither are full of sugar 99% they go with cheerios...I would save the sugary cereal for Saturday treats in a measured baggie I wouldn't even relate it to breakfast....as for the juice buy ..the juice boxes or give them each a Rubbermaid drinking bottle allowing them 8oz per day how they drink it and when is up to them. Taking things away is no good they have to learn healthy habits in moderation just like adults.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My kids know that whatever is left over in their lunch box becomes their after school snack. Didn't eat that ham and cheese sandwich? You are eating it at home. Ate all your lunch? Get to pick your after school snack. It has worked well for us and cuts down on food waste.

Love this. Going to implement it when my moneys start school.
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it. They can't have what's not available.

Yeah obviously I'm going to stick to cereal bars from now on (they need snacks for school, and it can't be anything refrigerated).

They didn't 'run the kitchen' until lately, but now they sneak in and help themselves. I can't be there watching all the time. It's so annoying! And the juice thing is recent... they had a box of juice a couple times a week before and that's it... but my husband started letting them have his juice... told him I'm not buying anymore either.

They are pretty picky when it comes to snacks though, so it's really not easy :(

what my parents did is get a bicycle chain and lock for the fridge. anyone without the combination couldn't get in
    they also had a lock on the pantry. unless you had the key, you couldn't get in.

they did that because my brother and i were going through 32-count boxes of granola bars every 2 days.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Another site to check out (I bookmarked it for myself but think it might be handy for a parent trying to plan healthy shopping list, too).

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Mom of a 4 Year old here. This is what works for us:
    -enroll your kids in a cooking class. They will see how food is prepared and may even wish to help you in the kitchen. Many community centres have these classes and they are geared towards young kids
    -educate your kids about food: where it comes from, what it does in your body etc. Keep it age appropriate like "food gives us energy" etc
    -take your kids grocery shopping with you and allow them to pick some things out. Have a conversation with them about trying to make healthy choices, and explain to them what that means.
    -explain to them what sugar can do to their teeth (this really struck home with my kiddo)
    -educate and organize yourself so that you are not taking the path of least resistance. Your kids may love all the goodies now but you are not doing them any favors in the long run
    -try new things. You never know what kids will like (I have a picky one too)
    -keep the sugary snacks out of reach and keep the healthy ones in a spot where they can help themselves whenever they want

I don't mean to sound like I'm one of those moms who didn't let her kid have any sugar until the age of 2 because that's not me at all. In fact my son pretty much lived off peanut butter and vanilla yogurt until he was 3 (I figured those are relatively healthy) and I am learning even more now that he's in school and I have to be creative with lunches.

Sugar and goodies are not the devil, but we need to educate our kids on the concept of moderation.

There was a thread on here not long ago asking if people thought their upbringing contributed to their weight/food issues. The response was overwhelmingly "yes". Your kids may be a healthy weight now, but if you continue down this path their health will suffer.

Edited for grammar fail
  • p_emmel5
    p_emmel5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

This is not about the beautiful twins. This is about you and your husband. I hope he can get on board.

Finally a reply that mentions your husband. He needs to get on board with your concerns and attempts at curbing this situation. If he wants to buy the sweet juices, he likes so much, tell him to get the crap at work and not bring it home. By your husband using bribes to get them to finish dinner and having the sweets at home he is being counter productive to everything you are trying to do. Kids learn by example and he has to be part of the GOOD example. Parenting is about both parents keeping a united front. Divide and conquer seems to a natural ability of kids. PARENTS run the house, especially at that age. If you don't win this battle you are in for a lifetime of battling spoiled kids. Raising kids!!!! .... been there and done that, they're now 32 and 27.

This situation isn't all on you, raising kids ain't for whimps you need hubby in your corner 100%.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Finally a reply that mentions your husband. He needs to get on board with your concerns and attempts at curbing this situation. If he wants to buy the sweet juices, he likes so much, tell him to get the crap at work and not bring it home. By your husband using bribes to get them to finish dinner and having the sweets at home he is being counter productive to everything you are trying to do. Kids learn by example and he has to be part of the GOOD example. Parenting is about both parents keeping a united front. Divide and conquer seems to a natural ability of kids. PARENTS run the house, especially at that age. If you don't win this battle you are in for a lifetime of battling spoiled kids. Raising kids!!!! .... been there and done that, they're now 32 and 27.

This situation isn't all on you, raising kids ain't for whimps you need hubby in your corner 100%.

Yep!
    Also, one thing my friend's dad does is keep all his treats stored in another room. If he wants juice/snacks/candy, he should keep them stored in the garage, the basement, ect. Somewhere out of reach for the kids. But he also cannot be bribing them with said stash if he goes that route.

You can't force him to change his eating habits, but you can encourage him to stay united with you and keep that food out of the kitchen. I would also discuss this in depth with him, so you both can create a plan together, and stick to it.