Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Wow, I'm so surprised on how many people have no idea about the dangers of aspartame. This is why they put so many different chemicals in our food because everyone is so damn ignorant to educate themselves on what they are putting into their bodies. Aspartame IS dangerous. Yes, like it or not, we are all going to eventually die, but why put stuff into our bodies that is slowly KILLING us???

Did you actually read the OP?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Yes, one single study, using only saccharin, and a sample size of 7 people, is very convincing evidence of harm...

Well, 7 people...and a bunch of mice. The article reads: "The data in mice are very, very clear, The limited amount of research they did on humans at least suggests we need to examine our artificial sweetener use more carefully."

ETA: Reading actual study now, since of course Aaron posted a link! :smile:
  • Are there people who may be negatively affected by aspartame? Sure, they may have allergic reactions (it's a protein after all.) People are also negatively affected by strawberries, peanuts, shellfish, eggs, and milk, but that doesn't make any of those foods bad for the rest of the population.

Exactly!

For every product on the market, someone some place will have a negative reaction. This doesn't mean the product is bad. I can't take aspirin because of stomach sensitivity but I won’t run around screaming the sky is falling. It simply means I can’t take freaking aspirin.

There is a broader question at hand. And that is, do we really want to do an experiment where we unnecessarily expose the populace to a host of synthetic chemicals that have only been part of the physical milieu for less than a dozen decades? (As just one "minor" illustration, even aspirin, in high doses, is linked to cerebral hemorrhage and other bleeding disorders.) There is no assurance that any of these chemicals are safe in the longer term--and NO ONE has any idea whether the COMBINATION of these synthetic chemicals is safe. As a further concern, epigenetics tells us that we may not only be endangering ourselves but future generations as well. Should we not question the unnecessary exposure to synthetic chemicals? Aspartame may or may not be "scary" but is it really necessary?

1. I'm not an expert on epigenetics, but from what I understand of it I don't think that's really how that works.

2. Most of these chemicals, including aspartame, are made up of components that we encounter all the time. There is zero reason to think that somehow because the chemicals were put together in a lab setting instead of synthesized in a plant that our bodies will somehow respond to them differently.

3. This thread is going to roll on the next post. I will not be commenting again because I just want this damn thing off my recent topics list.

1. Since you are not an "expert", what you "think" isn't really relevant.

From "What is epigenetics?" The field of epigenetics is quickly growing and with it the understanding that BOTH THE ENVIRONMENT AND INDIVIDUAL LIFESTYLE CAN ALSO DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH THE GENOME TO INFLUENCE EPIGENETIC CHANGE. These changes may be reflected at various stages throughout a person’s life AND EVEN IN LATER GENERATIONS. For example, human epidemiological studies have provided evidence that prenatal and early postnatal environmental factors influence the adult risk of developing various chronic diseases and behavioral disorders.[1] Studies have shown that children born during the period of the Dutch famine from 1944-1945 have increased rates of coronary heart disease and obesity after maternal exposure to famine during early pregnancy compared to those not exposed to famine.

2. "...Aspartame is an ARTIFICIAL, non-saccharide sweetener used as a sugar substitute in some foods and beverages... Aspartame is a methyl ester of the aspartic acid/phenylalanine dipeptide. It was first sold under the brand name NutraSweet; It was first SYNTHESIZED in 1965 and the PATENT expired in 1992..."

Natural substances are not termed "artificial" nor are they patentable.
    You do realize the only thing that makes it artificial is the fact that they took the two amino acids and put them together, right? The amino acids themselves are natural, as they are created by bacteria. And plenty of natural substances are patented. Do you really think all these various cultivars of apples aren't patented by their creators? They are. Please stop talking if you don't know what you are actually talking about.

by that logic everything on earth is "natural" everything is made by putting things that are natural together.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Why? because I'm taking antibiotics that have given rats cancer, so fawk it. I'm still alive! Been throwing splenda and equal in everythang! living dangerously here...
  • tokengirlstfu
    tokengirlstfu Posts: 1 Member
    I personally believe that hugging is an exercise.

We should all do this exercise more often
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Ha, I'm just going to let you all continue to drink the fluoride filled water. Enjoy!
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Personally, between sweetners in my coffee and coke zero/pepsi max, I probably have a lot of it over a 6 month period, being diabetic I have to get a full blood work done quite often, and so far, over 35 years using them, my blood works all within normal ranges.

I don't crave sweets or chocolates or cakes, glucose levels constantly low, so I could be classed as a test subject of 1 lol..

Simple point is, if it works for ya, use it, if it gives ya problems, don't use it.

END OF LINE:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Ha, I'm just going to let you all continue to drink the fluoride filled water. Enjoy!
    Usually I would think this is a joke about conspiracies, but you can never be too sure around these parts if someone is dead serious about a post like that.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Bump.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    Haven't seen this thread in awhile........................and I support it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Haven't seen this thread in awhile........................and I support it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It used to be stickied, and I am sad that it's not anymore! I've seen a lot of fear mongering regarding aspartame in the forums lately, and it's getting old. Thought I'd give this one a bumpity bump in the hopes that some lost souls would read it...
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    Oh wow! Very informative. I had been wondering about aspartame myself. A guy I know said he cut out aspartame and sucralose and what he calls "fake sugars" and claimed to lose 40 pounds in a month. (He was about 290.) I didn't tell him this, but I think he lost that weight because he cut way down on calories, but he attributed the loss to the cutting out of fake sugars instead.

And if he weighed the same as a duck, he'd be made of wood. Thus, we could burn him as a witch...if we were in the business of burning witches, that is.

^^This.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    Just don't ingest it at a constant rate for long periods of time! The process that occurs when ingested can be broken down into the part that you guys really want to know. The aspartame is broken down in your system into methanol which is broken down by alcohol dehydrogenase. This converts is to a formal aldehyde, more commonly known as Formaldehyde. So just don't drink too much of it!
    And the SAME happens while ingesting tomatoes and citrus fruits. You probably want to know about that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Science aside, I choose not to use artificial sweeteners and I don't feel like I need to justify that decision to anyone. If "you" want to have at it - I wouldn't try to convince you otherwise.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Science aside, I choose not to use artificial sweeteners and I don't feel like I need to justify that decision to anyone. If "you" want to have at it - I wouldn't try to convince you otherwise.

And that's your choice - I have no problem with people choosing to avoid something for personal reasons.

It's the people that go around claiming that the sky is falling and we're all going to die because aspartame. When people begin fear-mongering and spreading misinformation, then it isn't a "personal" reason anymore. It's getting people all worked up over something that isn't accurate. That's when the science is important.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    I've been consuming the equivalent of a 2 liter bottle of diet soda (or tea) daily for the last 25 years. My blood work, blood pressure & general health are excellent. So there's some anecdotal (sic?) evidence for you.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    When I joined last October this was one of the first threads I read on MFP, I'm so glad I did. It also gave a good insight into how many funny people are in this forum and how many people do not read the original post...... and this response still makes me laugh!
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »
    I strictly stay away from the stuff. My doctor says it is poison!

You should get a new doctor. One who knows what "poison" means. That's kind of important.

• Jackattacks28
    Jackattacks28 Posts: 9 Member
    Great read, I have never been worried about aspartame, pepsi maxx is pretty much my life blood, if anything was going to kill me id be glad it was pepsi maxx lol.
  • curtishissam
    curtishissam Posts: 14 Member
    JTick wrote: »
    Bump to read later.
    This...

• jeanmariemcp
    jeanmariemcp Posts: 17 Member
    Still tastes like poop.