Why Overnight Oatmeal?

Options
12346»

Replies

• summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Last night I threw 1/4 cup steel cut oats into a jar. I added a 1/4 cup greek honey yogurt and 1/4 cup (maybe 1/2 cup) strawberries that I had sliced up a few days ago. This morning, i took it out of the fridge and tasted it. Yummy! This will be a staple in my diet. I also added a little almond milk to thin it a bit and little cinnamon. I'm going to make it tonight and add the cinammon and milk tonight

Thanks for all the great ideas i got from this post!
  • lovingvampiress
    lovingvampiress Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    sounds good will have to give it a try..:-)
  • lovingvampiress
    lovingvampiress Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Id love some good recipes of this
  • Figjeti
    Figjeti Posts: 7
    Options
    Hey for all you oatmeal-in-the-microwave-wasters...... i'm an oatmeal fanatic... here is my secret!

put your oatmeal in the bowl, put the power setting on microwave to "3" and cook for 10 minutes... perfect oats every time, and just add me when you find out that this works and you love be because of this magic i have just enlightened you with !

Just remember... with great power comes great responsibility!
  • Tazdevil3
    Options
    Although it is true that it takes to minutes to cook oatmeal, I don't like working in the morning before I go to work. Every 5 minutes is my time. I also eat it cold. It's a grab and go thing because I eat breakfast at work. Another tip is to add 2 scoops of chocolate whey protein for a chocolate oatmeal flavor. 56g of protein for workout days. Also, no one said you had to eat it for breakfast. It's a great pre workout meal.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Google overnight oatmeal and you will find many different variations. The crockpot version calls for steal cut oats or oat groats. The fridge version calls for quick or old fashioned oats. See the two examples I posted below.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/overnight_oatmeal.html

http://www.pinterest.com/explore/overnight-refrigerator-oatmeal/
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Its been my staple workday breakfast for the past 10months and it just so damm tasty (has to be cold even better if its frozen fruit and still a little crunchy) Such a time saver and filler if you work out in the mornings.

Oats
    Yogurt
    Almond milk
    Whatever fruit is on offer the past week or frozen
    Chia Seeds
    Protein powder
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    oats
    vanilla or coconut yoghurt
    tinned pineapple
    dessicated coconut
    mixed spice

YUM
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just mix a small amount of oats with Greek yoghurt and blueberries in the morning and eat it straight away. Is there something wrong with that? I don't find it excessively dry (but I do a 5:1 ratio of yoghurt to oats) so don't see the point in leaving it for longer.

Now the weather is cooling I'll probably do porridge more frequently though - I can go in the shower while it cooks, or do some sit-ups or something. I make it in a saucepan with mostly water and a splash of milk. I don't have a microwave, but when I did (at university) I tried making it in there and it made a huge mess so I've stuck to the traditional method ever since!

I don't know what these different types of oats people are talking about are - I just buy regular porridge oats (Tesco value).
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-oldfashioned-oatmeal-2536.html

Oatmeal

Freshly harvested whole oats have a fiber-rich, protective outer coat called bran. Beneath the bran, an oat kernel contains a starchy endosperm, which surrounds a tiny, vitamin- and mineral-rich reproductive structure called the germ. For some foods, the bran and germ are stripped from the oat grains, leaving just the starchy endosperm that is often pulverized before use. In old-fashioned oatmeal, however, the entire oat grain is flattened with rollers, producing rolled oats. As a result, old-fashioned oatmeal is a whole-grain food that contains oat bran along with the oat germ and endosperm.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-oldfashioned-oats-3692.html

Whole Grain Oats

Old-fashioned oats are a whole grain food. According to Mayo Clinic, consumption of whole grains has been linked to a reduced risk of diabetes, heart disease and some forms of cancer. The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that at least half of the grains you eat should be whole grains.

Just saying....

I like old-fashioned oats because they are in my budget. I love refidgerator oatmeal, because it is in my time schedule. :)