Vegetarian Mac & Cheese

Replies

• Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    is there a carnivore mac and cheese that i should be made aware of?

because i'd be all over that

Add some cut up hot dogs or sliced spam and chase it with some Tang. #Hoodfood
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    This is some sad macaroni and cheese. :sad:
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Peas? No no no... this is how it is done!

hotdogsoup.jpg

I don't even eat pork and I'd take this over adding peas to my mac & cheese.

At least you're not adding a tablespoon of salt to this one like your french onion soup "recipe"
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Try adding fresh steamed broccoli instead, and to keep it nice and creamy add a little extra milk to it.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Just for your info... cheddar, Parmesan and a lot of other hard cheeses contain rennet - which means the recipes are not vegetarian. :flowerforyou:

You can buy rennet free cheeses in large supermarkets but you have to look for it.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Ingredients:

1 box of Kraft Mac & Cheese w/ cheese packet
    butter(as mentioned on carton)
    milk(as mentioned on carton)
    1 can of sweet peas

Directions:

follow the recipe on the box for the mac and cheese. as soon as that's taken care of, drain the can of peas and add them to the mac and cheese. stir around real good and wait about a few minutes or so to allow the peas to get nice and hot. turn off stove and serve. pretty easy.
    [/quote]

Um....thanks?
    [/quote]

:laugh: LOL
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Just for your info... cheddar, Parmesan and a lot of other hard cheeses contain rennet - which means the recipes are not vegetarian. :flowerforyou:

You can buy rennet free cheeses in large supermarkets but you have to look for it.

Didn't think of that but yup, if you google, Kraft confirms that their Mac n Cheese is made using animal enzymes.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    I thought only kids ate Kraft Mac & Cheese.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I always add peas (fresh or frozen) to my mac and cheese--it makes it a complete protein. My husband thinks it's gross, but my son eats it that way now, too. I won't eat Kraft mac and cheese though--powdered cheese is just disgusting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I thought only kids ate Kraft Mac & Cheese.

HOW DARE YOU
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    I don't like hot dogs in mac and cheese. I don't like condiments either. I have been this way all my life. Are any of u suggesting I start on the condiments now?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    I don't like hot dogs in mac and cheese. I don't like condiments either. I have been this way all my life. Are any of u suggesting I start on the condiments now?

No just suggesting you learn the basics of cooking. The "recipes" you are posting are just horrible
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Boil the noodles in milk... It's life changing.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member

No just suggesting you learn the basics of cooking. The "recipes" you are posting are just horrible

I was willing to give benefit of the doubt for the mac n' cheese recipe, but after seeing the subsequent recipes, I call troll.
  • is there a carnivore mac and cheese that i should be made aware of?

because i'd be all over that

Hamburger helper is carnivore mac and cheese.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Tuna mac & peas was a staple in my house when my wife and I were first married. It was the only dish I knew how to cook. Similar to OP's recipe except add a can or two of tuna fish (drained).

Oh, and *frozen* peas or GTFO.
  • I have a homemade version from a Mennonite cookbook and it says to add whatever vegetables you like. I usually will put carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. I usually buy the frozen vegetables and you can cook them with your pasta. It makes for an easy meal.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member

I thought the same thing, no way is this vegetarian mac and cheese.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    This is a) not a recipe and b) not any more vegetarian than the original version.

That being said, I'm sure all of us Kraft (or Annie's, if you're a hippie) mac and cheese fans have made our own additions: ketchup, hotodgs, mixed veggies... sometimes I even add some diced green chilis.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Skillet baked bacon-and-pretzel topped mac'n'cheese. http://picky-palate.com/2014/08/13/skillet-baked-mac-and-cheese-bacon-pretzel-topping/

Just sayin'.

OR a box of Annie's made with almond milk and marg because we always forget to keep real milk in the fridge and usually if you want KD it's like 9pm and you're too lazy to put on pants.
This discussion has been closed.