:flowerforyou:
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    bump
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What about logging spices? Like 1 tsp of onion powder, or 1 tsp of cumin. I know they have sugar in them, but since weight is so low probably a fairly insignificant amount of anything in them (except for flavour), and can't even weigh properly unless you have a jewelers scale.

I mean chances of anything being super accurate is going to be pretty much impossible. I figure if I figure in +10% to everything, figure should be ok.

Also what about local restaurants which do not have nutritional menu? For example, I ate at a local burger joint who makes all their stuff from hand. I don't know what filler they use, so would you just log like 1/'4lb of ground beef + bun + whatever toppings you have or? Also Chinese restaurants particularly would be ridiculously hard to log.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Newbie here. Thanks!

Now that I understand better, how do I delete unwanted entries in my foods tab or recent food tab?

I seem to be able to edit but not delete.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    bump for later review
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump

Also, what do you guys do with already cooked pasta? I'm assuming the weight in there is for dry weight, and usually we are cooking a big pot for the whole family.
  • meaganlael
    Options
    SUPER helpful! Thanks for taking the time to share.
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    This should be a pinned thread.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Bump

Also, what do you guys do with already cooked pasta? I'm assuming the weight in there is for dry weight, and usually we are cooking a big pot for the whole family.

I logged it as cooked...as I cook for the family too.

It would be best if we could weigh and log it dry.

The only time I can log it as "dry" is when I am making a recipe...but I do weigh the entire recipe after it's all done and base the servings off the "cooked weight"...ie dinner tonight has 1lb of dry pasta and a bunch of other stuff...when it's all cooked I will put my storage container on my scale...turn it on so that it is at zero..dump in the pasta dish and use that weight to determine my serving sizes...ie if it is 986grams...my serving size will be 150-200 grams depending on how hungry I am and that helps determine calories per serving as well....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the responses, just the original post, but OMG, does anyone really do this? Every day, every meal, every snack, every dessert?

My mind boggles.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the responses, just the original post, but OMG, does anyone really do this? Every day, every meal, every snack, every dessert?

My mind boggles.

ah no...logging every meal every day is simple...this is to ensure it's correct and simple
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yup, when I want to lose, it means logging every meal, every snack, every day and so I have logged the vast majority of days for the past 2 1/2 years just like this.

Also to address something in the OP, when I use "homemade" in my log, it is something that *I* made from scratch and carefully weighed out the ingredients and servings and added to the recipe builder and those recipes aren't added to the general food database available in MFP, so those entries really are accurately logged. I will not use someone else's "Homemade" entry though - I have no idea what's in that recipe or what a serving size is!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

My mind boggles.

ah no...logging every meal every day is simple...this is to ensure it's correct and simple

Simple obviously means different things to you and I. But kudos to anyone that puts in that level of effort. Seriously, my hat is off.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

My mind boggles.
    Think of it as a how to and troubleshooting guide. Do you read your car manual and go "ZOMG! How do I do ALL of this everyday!!", no, you just drive to work and back and wherever else. Heck you probably didn't even read the manual. Same thing here. Some of the tips you may never need to do, or only do once in a while (like editing an entry). For me, this is also the website version and I almost exclusively log using the app. The tips are still helpful in the occasional case when I'm looking for a very specific entry and thanks to this write up I can attempt to find it. Or wondering why my macros pie chart is suddenly 99% fat, oh look, somebody created an entry with 160g of fat rather than 160 calories from fat, and I know how to edit it
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bunp
  • shaddow101
    Options
    Bump
  • kelso830
    kelso830 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bumping for reference later! :) Just bought my first food scale today!