Logging Accurately..step by step guide

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all 8 pages, so sorry iif this has been asked :blushing:

I just started weighing all my food. How do you guys handle food you do not finish? Example had a chili dog and was unable to finish, didn't want to deconstruct it so left my numbers alone. Single items, I know how to reweigh and figure just the "compilation" dishes I am not sure of.

Normally it would not be an issue but my doctor has me on a new med that is effecting my ability to eat, get sick if I eat too much (not much at all). For anyone looking at my diary...yes it is bad, yes just had a Dr Appt today, trying to figure this out. My normal is 1350-1480 calories a day. My blood work is perfect and my doctor is monitoring me closely... Only upside is got a script for prenatal's today, love these vitamins (not pregnant), downside my lifting is suffering drastically :sad:

I have seen where people leave the calories in their log and finish the food later (I have done this with leftovers from resturants)...in this case I suspect you aren't going to finish it..

I personally would look at what is left and "estimate" 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 and adjust the "ingrediants" accordingly...

we can't be "perfect" all the time and I am sure that if you are off by a bit it wont have that much of an impact.

And yes lifting does suffering with low calories...stinks
  • TW0812
    TW0812 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm new here and I don't know how much should I be eating?I always end up under calorie everyday. I'm not sure if I'm doing things correctly. Looking for someone to shed some light. Thanks.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    TW0812, if you are looking for someone to shed some light on you specifically, I suggest you start a new thread with your statistics ( height, weight, age, activity level,any relevant medical information) and ask people for feedback.
    Also set your diary to open so people can help with any logging issues.
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Bump people wondering why you are not losing weight read this best advice:smile:
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Bump and thank you :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I never tracked with MFP because I couldn't get the detail that's in nutritiondata, which does not have a recording feature. I'll have to give MFP a re-look!.
  • stephanie417
    stephanie417 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to do this. :)
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lbransford
    lbransford Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dherburg
    dherburg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent primer on logging! I'm bookmarking the link to be able to share with friends.

For me, this post is as important as these...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Thanks again Stef!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Great post, it's always good to add screenshots.

I don't trust entries until I've checked them. People in my part of the world don't seem to grasp how to work with "total" fats or carbs vs dietary fibres vs sugars and sodium is problematic for them, too. Then the concept of 100 g seems to cause confusion, too, if the serving size is one per package.

How do you add sodium if it says salt on the package? 5 g of salt would be 2.5 g sodium. I've always wondered about this; do they mean "salt" is actually sodium 5 g in that example? Anyone know the standard?
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thank you! My weight loss has stopped for the past 2-3 weeks. I didn't think I would have to get this exact so early on in the game as I've only lost 24 lbs and still have 97 to go. So this past weekend, I bought a scale and am so glad to be reading this for a little extra help. This website has such awesome people who after losing bunches of weight, rather than become cocky, (which I happen to know some real life ppl who have lost weight and have become cocky and rude) Are all there to help the rest of us! Thanks!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Also, while I think your post is wonderful and informative, there is one other exception I will point out. One of my few exceptions to "accurate logging" is shredded cheese. I log it as cups, but I do weigh it out, simply because on the nutrition label it states: 1/4 cup (28 g). I will weight out 28 grams, but log it as a quarter cup. The calories are exactly the same either way, but it is easier to find the 1/4 cup entries than search for one with grams. To use your words, it might look like a duck and quack like a duck, but I'm pretty sure it's not a duck ;) Other than that, I enjoyed your post and agree fully.

Yes!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of y'all like me use primarily the app to log. But I suggest going back and checking on the actual website, to double check the numbers and fix any errors (ie what you logged has 0 confirmations, and something else has 24 confirmations)
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options

Anyone know how to get an entry removed based on incorrect calories?

You can correct it using 'edit'
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Anyone know how to get an entry removed based on incorrect calories?

You can correct it using 'edit'

Yes to do this you click no this information isn't correct...not sure what happens in the background..I hope after x # of no this is wrong they remove it...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of y'all like me use primarily the app to log. But I suggest going back and checking on the actual website, to double check the numbers and fix any errors (ie what you logged has 0 confirmations, and something else has 24 confirmations)

I seldom use the website. I verify my app entries by using the food label, and by performing searches with "USDA" added to them. If five results all have the same number then I just use that.

Compared to the app, I can't believe the website makes you click into each entry to see how many calories. Goodness my head hurts just thinking about it
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I seldom use the website. I verify my app entries by using the food label, and by performing searches with "USDA" added to them. If five results all have the same number then I just use that.

Compared to the app, I can't believe the website makes you click into each entry to see how many calories. Goodness my head hurts just thinking about it
    [/quote

See, we are all different (beauty of humanity!), I am a PC person and I would get sick having to use my phone to log my food. That is why I don't even have the app.

By the way, how can you use the bar code or label to verify the calories of an onion or a yam? Just curious.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

See, we are all different (beauty of humanity!), I am a PC person and I would get sick having to use my phone to log my food. That is why I don't even have the app.

By the way, how can you use the bar code or label to verify the calories of an onion or a yam? Just curious.

Sorry I guess I should have been more clear, I said "and" instead of "or". I'll explain:

Anything with a label can get searched or scanned and I'll verify that what comes up matches the label. If it's an onion or yam, I'll attach the usda text to my search

Example search: Onion Raw USDA. There were literally six results on the first page that were, 100g 40 calories. If so many entries are wrong, goodness help me!

Admittedly, yams raw usda didn't have that great or consistent results. Sweet potatoes raw usda on the other hand, lots of 100g 86 or 90 calorie results. If I were logging this, I'd pick either one