Logging Accurately..step by step guide

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Agree - however my own recipes, which I sometimes have labelled homemade are all carefully weighed measured and logged. I check before I make a new batch that I haven't varied the type or quantity of an ingredient. I will also have weighed the total finished product and worked out how much a single serving should weigh. I do not expect anyone else to use or trust that data but the description 'homemade' will appear in my diary.

This is where I see a lot of ppl getting ripped about 'logging accurately'. I also cook almost exclusively at home, measure all the ingredients, make a recipe and log it accurately into my diary. I've seen others that do the same and then the MFP community rips them for not logging accurately. How is it not accurate if YOU made it yourself? I don't know why people assume that if it says 'homemade' or whatever its a database entry and not a recipe you made. Dumb.

because if you use another person's homemade how do you know it's the same...

It's not dumb...and I have yet to see anyone get "ripped" for using an entry like that usually it's a suggestion not to use them and then when they say well it's my recipe people are like oh okay.

For me personally you will never see Homemade - xxxxx in my diary because none of those are my recipes because I don't share mine nor do I name them homemade...because I don't want to clutter up the database with stuff only I will find useful.

Why would you do that?
    [/quote

I also have a diary with lots of homemade entries because that is what my recipes are: made at home by me. Since I don’t' share my recipes with the MFP community, then nobody else has access to them, and I am sure that this applies to other members as well. So to assume that a logging as "homemade" came from the database is wrong and nobody business.

Another good reason to have and open diary open to friends ONLY…
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Agree - however my own recipes, which I sometimes have labelled homemade are all carefully weighed measured and logged. I check before I make a new batch that I haven't varied the type or quantity of an ingredient. I will also have weighed the total finished product and worked out how much a single serving should weigh. I do not expect anyone else to use or trust that data but the description 'homemade' will appear in my diary.

This is where I see a lot of ppl getting ripped about 'logging accurately'. I also cook almost exclusively at home, measure all the ingredients, make a recipe and log it accurately into my diary. I've seen others that do the same and then the MFP community rips them for not logging accurately. How is it not accurate if YOU made it yourself? I don't know why people assume that if it says 'homemade' or whatever its a database entry and not a recipe you made. Dumb.

It's not dumb...and I have yet to see anyone get "ripped" for using an entry like that usually it's a suggestion not to use them and then when they say well it's my recipe people are like oh okay.

For me personally you will never see Homemade - xxxxx in my diary because none of those are my recipes because I don't share mine nor do I name them homemade...because I don't want to clutter up the database with stuff only I will find useful.

Why would you do that?

I also have a diary with lots of homemade entries because that is what my recipes are: made at home by me. Since I don’t' share my recipes with the MFP community, then nobody else has access to them, and I am sure that this applies to other members as well. So to assume that a logging as "homemade" came from the database is wrong and nobody business.

But that advice holds true regardless...do not use the existing homemade entries in MFP database, they aren't yours...yours would be under Receipes.

If you look in the MFP database there are numerous entries that start with homemade...are you going to use them if you didn't create them? Most likely not.

Not sure why this one particular part is being nit picked...

My diary will remain open for everyone to view...if they want to comment on my home page feel free, it wont change what I eat. Random strangers on the internet giving me advice when I didn't asked for it...well is worth about what you pay to use this site.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Why would you do that?

But that advice holds true regardless...do not use the existing homemade entries in MFP database, they aren't yours...yours would be under Receipes.

If you look in the MFP database there are numerous entries that start with homemade...are you going to use them if you didn't create them? Most likely not.

My diary will remain open for everyone to view...if they want to comment on my home page feel free, it wont change what I eat. Random strangers on the internet giving me advice when I didn't asked for it...well is worth about what you pay to use this site.

I agree NOT to use homemade database entries. The 'nit picking' I was doing was because I've seen it, just as recently as last Thursday someone get chewed out because they did name their own, homemade recipies from their recipe box 'homemade' and a ton of ppl jumped on them automatically thinking it was database entries. Even after they clarified that it was their own recipe, NOT one from the database, ppl still said they were logging inaccurately.

My point was, don't assume ppl are automatically using database entries if their diary says 'homemade - xxx' I don't personally use the word homemade in my recipes but I know others do. Just be aware of that when critiquing others diaries and ask if that's a database entry or one they made and the LISTEN to the answer they give.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just want to say - I don't log every single bite, taste, etc. of what I eat, because it isn't worth the effort to me. More importantly, if you're "tasting" and "biting" so much that your weight loss is affected, you have a problem with self-control.
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Very helpful, thanks :)
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Why would you do that?

I agree NOT to use homemade database entries. The 'nit picking' I was doing was because I've seen it, just as recently as last Thursday someone get chewed out because they did name their own, homemade recipies from their recipe box 'homemade' and a ton of ppl jumped on them automatically thinking it was database entries. Even after they clarified that it was their own recipe, NOT one from the database, ppl still said they were logging inaccurately.

My point was, don't assume ppl are automatically using database entries if their diary says 'homemade - xxx' I don't personally use the word homemade in my recipes but I know others do. Just be aware of that when critiquing others diaries and ask if that's a database entry or one they made and the LISTEN to the answer they give.

but this post isn't about critiquing others diaries it's how to log accurately. So again do not use entries in the database that say homemade if you want to log accurately.
  • Ely82010
    Options

Why would you do that?

How do we differentiate between MFP homemade and ours homemade, do we have to enter our SS# or DOB next to our recipe before logging it in our diary?

And the reason that this issue is being picked, is because you brought it up in your original posting, the same with the asterisks. There are many USDA vegetable and fruit entries in the database with an asterisk in front, if using them means that we are not logging accurately, well, we are all in trouble.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options

How do we differentiate between MFP homemade and ours homemade, do we have to enter our SS# or DOB next to our recipe before logging it in our diary?

to log your homemade - add from your Recipes tab or your Meals tab not from the database
  • SezxyStef
    Options

And the reason that this issue is being picked, is because you brought it up in your original posting, the same with the asterisks. There are many USDA vegetable and fruit entries in the database with an asterisk in front, if using them means that we are not logging accurately, well, we are all in trouble.

I use myrecipe tab...to log my food recipes...mine are not in the MFP database...why are yours? cluttering it up with data that no one can use but you? why do that ?

Yes and I stand by it....do not use those entries if at all possible and if you do use them check the confirmations and nutritional information against the USDA database to ensure that they are correct which I also go into in my OP esp considering there are correct entries that can be used instead of those ones.

If an entry has an * it is user entered and could be wrong so why use it if you don't have to?

As well I also noted that when I edit an entry in the MFP database I always put my initials in it somewhere...SCW so my friends or anyone else who read that post knows I checked it and if they trust me they can trust that entry because I try to be as accurate as I possibly can...which is evident as I have never had to post "Help I am stalled" or "Help I am not losing weight"...

I am by no means saying you are going to be 100% accurate 100% of the time but this post was put up to help get as accurate as you can...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I just want to say - I don't log every single bite, taste, etc. of what I eat, because it isn't worth the effort to me. More importantly, if you're "tasting" and "biting" so much that your weight loss is affected, you have a problem with self-control.

I agree with this...

That is included to bring attention to this actually...once people read log every BLT (bite lick taste) they become more aware of what they are doing because logging those well...good luck.
  • Ely82010
    Options

I use myrecipe tab...to log my food recipes...mine are not in the MFP database...why are yours? cluttering it up with data that no one can use but you? why do that ?

Yes and I stand by it....do not use those entries if at all possible and if you do use them check the confirmations and nutritional information against the USDA database to ensure that they are correct which I also go into in my OP esp considering there are correct entries that can be used instead of those ones.

If an entry has an * it is user entered and could be wrong so why use it if you don't have to?

As well I also noted that when I edit an entry in the MFP database I always put my initials in it somewhere...SCW so my friends or anyone else who read that post knows I checked it and if they trust me they can trust that entry because I try to be as accurate as I possibly can...which is evident as I have never had to post "Help I am stalled" or "Help I am not losing weight"...

I am by no means saying you are going to be 100% accurate 100% of the time but this post was put up to help get as accurate as you can...

Where/when did I say that I was adding my recipes in the database? Please go back and ready my original response to your comment. I specified that I log in my diary most of my recipes as "homemade," and if people assumes that they came from the database and not from my recipe tab, well, it is their problem.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Where/when did I say that I was adding my recipes in the database? Please go back and ready my original response to your comment. I specified that I log in my diary most of my recipes as "homemade," and if people assumes that they came from the database and not from my recipe tab, well, it is their problem.

You asked how you know in the database which is yours and which is someone elses? so you inferred you did add it to the database if that is where you are looking...

As for how you name it..that is up to you if you ask people to critque your diary...

and again go back and read where I said this is about logging accurately not critiquing someone's diary...I can do a post about that if you want...or perhaps you could take the time to do it, help us all out.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ok, 1st off, let me say I appreciate your post. It has pointed out features I did not know I had available. I did recently get a scale and have been doing side by side comparison of weights vs volumes.

Regarding "homemade" or using recipes entered by others, I have done that *if* the information given is such that it matches my recipe source....allrecipes.com or the Eat To Live cookbook have been frequent sources as of late. Then I feel like I am being accurate without adding my very own version of the same recipe.

The question I have regarding recipes, because I am often one to follow a recipe once, if that, or just use them for ideas but ultimately, make my own creations....is, Is there a way to enter my recipe for my own use....but-here is the key-that my husband, who is avidly tracking on MFP, can also easily access---without adding them to the bulging MFP database? I have no personal need to "clutter" the database, but he is eating what I'm cooking, so....lol!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Love this post! Will be linking to this, thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

As for the person complaining about people questioning homemade entries, that's done because that is typically one of the first signs of inaccuracies and is only mentioned because they have asked for help.

OP thanks again for documenting this so well!
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    Options
    OP - this was a clear and informative post, thanks for posting.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Great post. I prodominantly use the MFP app on my phone, which has a barcode scanner. This is really useful and saves time searching the database, especially helpful when logging whilst preparing a meal. It is also pretty accurate (most of the time)
    Yep. This has helped me so much!

Great post! This needs to be bookmarked.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Great post. I prodominantly use the MFP app on my phone, which has a barcode scanner. This is really useful and saves time searching the database, especially helpful when logging whilst preparing a meal. It is also pretty accurate (most of the time)
    Yep. This has helped me so much!

Great post! This needs to be bookmarked.

The barcode scanner relies on MFP users to connect the barcode to actual nutritional info (I learned this when I was apparently the first one to scan a new product), so be very careful, since it's user entered it can have problems. Some one could have connected it to the wrong product.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Ok, 1st off, let me say I appreciate your post. It has pointed out features I did not know I had available. I did recently get a scale and have been doing side by side comparison of weights vs volumes.

Regarding "homemade" or using recipes entered by others, I have done that *if* the information given is such that it matches my recipe source....allrecipes.com or the Eat To Live cookbook have been frequent sources as of late. Then I feel like I am being accurate without adding my very own version of the same recipe.

The question I have regarding recipes, because I am often one to follow a recipe once, if that, or just use them for ideas but ultimately, make my own creations....is, Is there a way to enter my recipe for my own use....but-here is the key-that my husband, who is avidly tracking on MFP, can also easily access---without adding them to the bulging MFP database? I have no personal need to "clutter" the database, but he is eating what I'm cooking, so....lol!

Good question however I do not believe so.

Perhaps that is a good suggestion for the Tech side to allow us to share recipes with our friends list or send it to a friend.

At this point I believe if you don't want to add it to the database he would have to enter it himself. That being said if you do enter it into the database my suggestion would be to note it with a special set of characters so he can search for that specifically.