The single biggest cause of male deaths...

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    That's very interesting. Funny, in the last year I've heard of people I know and know of killing themselves and they have all been men. I think there were about 5.

They were in 12-step programs, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Yes, being in 12-step programs is relevant. There are a number of factors that increase the likelihood that a person will commit suicide. One of them is abusing substances such as alcohol and drugs. Depression and other mood disorders are the most frequent risk factors for suicidal behavior. Alcohol and some drugs can result in a loss of inhibition which may increase impulsive behavior and thus lead to changes in the brain that result in depression over time.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    That's very interesting. Funny, in the last year I've heard of people I know and know of killing themselves and they have all been men. I think there were about 5.

They were in 12-step programs, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

If they were in the step program for drugs or alcohol they did not take it seriously. That program is very helpful.

You don't know that at all. They may have taken it very seriously.

People who are depressed often turn to drugs and alcohol as a means to self-medicate. Depression, however, is a very complex issue that often requires more help than a support group can offer.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am happy to revise the title of this thread (or ask a Mod to do so) to "one, if not the biggest cause of male deaths" if needs be and it draws people back to the underlying issue of why so many young men it seems are taking their own lives...

You don't need to do that. You started this thread with a charitable heart. Some people have nothing better to do than to detract from the issue.

Yeahbut .. "Noble lies" and misinformation detract from the issue too. Nobody is suggesting that it's not a serious issue. But you don't have to BS about the statistics to get peoples' attention. All that's going to do is cause people to dismiss the position that is supported by the noble lie.

I can say with certainty that he did not "BS" the statistics. IF this is the statistic the article gave he was simply stating the fact as he knew. Any data from ANY research can be skewed in the favor of whoever is conducting the research. Posting about being off on the age range DETRACTS from the issue..

I wasnt talking about the age range. Look at my previous post and the source. It's not "suicide" .. it's suicide, ODs, poisonings, and accidents all lumped together that become the leading cause ....

YOU did not specify that you were not talking about the age range...nor did you mention anything about causes being lumped together. If YOU re-read your original response it can easily be mistaken as you saying he is BSing about the age range/statistic.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I promise this isn't a hit and run type post thing as I have to depart (or face divorce).

I hope the discussion can stay on track and we can take discuss the issues from here.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think he is probably referencing the chart here:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/mortality-statistics--deaths-registered-in-england-and-wales--series-dr-/2012/info-causes-of-death.html

That shows it as #1 for 20-34 and #1 for 35-49, thus it would be #1 for 20-49
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I am happy to revise the title of this thread (or ask a Mod to do so) to "one, if not the biggest cause of male deaths" if needs be and it draws people back to the underlying issue of why so many young men it seems are taking their own lives...

You don't need to do that. You started this thread with a charitable heart. Some people have nothing better to do than to detract from the issue.

Yeahbut .. "Noble lies" and misinformation detract from the issue too. Nobody is suggesting that it's not a serious issue. But you don't have to BS about the statistics to get peoples' attention. All that's going to do is cause people to dismiss the position that is supported by the noble lie.

I can say with certainty that he did not "BS" the statistics. IF this is the statistic the article gave he was simply stating the fact as he knew. Any data from ANY research can be skewed in the favor of whoever is conducting the research. Posting about being off on the age range DETRACTS from the issue..

I wasnt talking about the age range. Look at my previous post and the source. It's not "suicide" .. it's suicide, ODs, poisonings, and accidents all lumped together that become the leading cause ....

YOU did not specify that you were not talking about the age range...nor did you mention anything about causes being lumped together. If YOU re-read your original response it can easily be mistaken as you saying he is BSing about the age range/statistic.

I sure did, earlier in the thread.

The Noble Lie response was just a warning that disinformation, regardless of if it is positive or negative, can have negative impacts to the overall cause.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    The leading cause of death of men in the UK is heart disease…

Did you even read the post? He said between ages 20 and 49...

It's actually ages 20-34.

Well aren't you just the ray of sunshine....Perhaps the article that he read was outdated, or not as specific...the bigger issue is Suicide Awarness...Don't be a twit..

giphy.gif

Aw, name calling… you're so mature for a 35 year old!
  • Collier78
    Options

The Noble Lie response was just a warning that disinformation, regardless of if it is positive or negative, can have negative impacts to the overall cause.

I did not respond or quote you in an earlier thread, so I apologize if I missed something, but just taking the above post it implies he BS'd the statistics.
  • sullus
    Options

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/mortality-statistics--deaths-registered-in-england-and-wales--series-dr-/2012/info-causes-of-death.html

No. It shows a combination of suicide, poisoning, and injury as #1 in both of those age groups.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I find it funny how the cause of the post is swept under the rug with people arguing Stats. MFP forums always seem to amaze me.
  • sullus
    Options

I did not respond or quote you in an earlier thread, so I apologize if I missed something, but just taking the above post it implies he BS'd the statistics.

Yeah. I suppose it does. my bad.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Yeah, if you go by that chart, it is 20-49. This site says under 35: http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/help-information/mental-health-statistics/suicide/ and this one says ages 20-34 but if you read in the info discussing deaths related to breast cancer, the first sentence reads "Suicide remains the leading cause of death for men up to the age of 49, accounting for 13% of deaths to men aged 35-49." http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/mortality-statistics--deaths-registered-in-england-and-wales--series-dr-/2012/sty-causes-of-death.html
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

As long as there are people grieving over those that they have lost to suicide, I very seriously doubt that one menial statistic will ever detract from the cause regardless of its accuracy.
  • Collier78
    Options

Well aren't you just the ray of sunshine....Perhaps the article that he read was outdated, or not as specific...the bigger issue is Suicide Awarness...Don't be a twit..

giphy.gif

Aw, name calling… you're so mature for a 35 year old!

Deflection! Win! By all means do not address the subject of the post..and I never claimed to be mature...in fact I refuse to grow up :smile: Awareness of a serious issue, regardless of the complete accuracy of the statistic, is what the point of this post is...I'm sorry you have appeared to miss that and feel that detracting from the issue is a better way to discuss it. Bless your heart..
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

Please post the link that supports your position. Thanks.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I find it funny how the cause of the post is swept under the rug with people arguing Stats. MFP forums always seem to amaze me.

:drinker:
  • Collier78
    Options

Yeah, if you go by that chart, it is 20-49. This site says under 35: http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/help-information/mental-health-statistics/suicide/ and this one says ages 20-34 but if you read in the info discussing deaths related to breast cancer, the first sentence reads "Suicide remains the leading cause of death for men up to the age of 49, accounting for 13% of deaths to men aged 35-49." http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/mortality-statistics--deaths-registered-in-england-and-wales--series-dr-/2012/sty-causes-of-death.html

Wait....So you were wrong??? Hmmm...
  • sullus
    Options

As long as there are people grieving over those that they have lost to suicide, I very seriously doubt that one menial statistic will ever detract from the cause regardless of its accuracy.

You don't have to worry about those peoples' commitment to the cause. It's the people who have NOT had to deal with it whose support you're trying to gain and keep, and bad data doesn't help.
  • Collier78
    Options

No. It shows a combination of suicide, poisoning, and injury as #1 in both of those age groups.

I would be curious to know if the poisoning and injury were considered self inflicted (even if by accident) and that is how they were lumped into suicide. It would definitely be more interesting to know the breakdown of how they came up with that percentage.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options

If they were in the step program for drugs or alcohol they did not take it seriously. That program is very helpful.

You don't know that at all. They may have taken it very seriously.

People who are depressed often turn to drugs and alcohol as a means to self-medicate. Depression, however, is a very complex issue that often requires more help than a support group can offer.

Not at all uncommon for underlying problems to come the surface when people quit drugs or alcohol. A colleague is a therapist for a drug and alchol team and works on the inpatient wards as well, and said a large number of people have personality disorders, bipolar, chronic severe depression, PTSD and lots other things that come through when they have gone through rehab. They have been self-medicating.