5 am workout people

Options

Replies

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Up at 4:00 am, at the gym and start swimming at 5am. I find setting my actual clock ahead about 45 min, helps get me out of bed. When you first wake up your mind does not realize you are 45 minute early and it will induce some panic and urgency to help you get going.
  • bjurban
    Options
    I'm new to the whole workout out in the morning thing but I found its the only time I can make it work. I set everything out the night before and then the alarm goes off at 5:10 after 1 snooze I'm up! I live in a small town (population 300) so there isn't a gym but honestly I like the privacy of my living room. It does make my day so easier knowing that I don't have to worry about working out at night, I get to relax and enjoy my family time because my killer workout was done by 630. Also I just love knowing that I did more by 8AM than most people do all day! Good luck to you!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I was an anti-morning person until I went to New Orleans back in July. I knew I'd be drinking and eating all weekend, so I busted my butt to get myself to the gym before I hopped on the plane. I now do most of my workouts in the morning. It does kinda become habit. Now, I also work out over lunch sometimes or after work or both. So if I'm really exhausted, I can push my workout back. However, I find I think I prefer working out in the morning before work.

I'm not as early as some of you. I get up around 5:30. Usually I sleep in my workout clothes and have work clothes already packed in my gym bag. I also now go to bed around 9-9:30.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im waking up at 2am for my long runs and finishing around 7... It was necessary to beat the traffic and the heat over the summer.
  • chad23jl
    chad23jl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I get up between 4am and 430am every morning so that I can do PT. It is either a long run or weight training depending on the day of the week. At first, you will be very tired until you get adjusted to the morning workouts, but once you do then you will feel a huge change and you will have a lot more energy throughout the day. There is no secret to it though..it sucks getting up that early...but its mind over matter. If you want it bad enough, then you are willing to sacrifice that extra sleep to achieve your goals.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    530 - 6 am weekends.
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5am and in the gym by 5:45/6:00am. I give myself time to get awake, moving around a lil before go straight to the gym.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I get up between 4:30- 5am and workout first thing! I have found that if I don't get my workout in first thing in the morning then I have every excuse in the book not to do it later. I also have found that if I skip a day, I will feel sluggish and un motivated to do anything for the rest of the day. It is almost like a waste of a day! Once your body gets used to it, there's no going back to evening workouts!
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Up at 5 a.m. for my runs! I strength train in the evenings.

Make sure to have everything you need already set out the night before!

I'd like to say you "get used" to waking up that early, but I'm dead tired by 9 p.m. I HAVE to be in bed by at least 10 p.m., or it is just impossible for me to wake up so early.
  • SilverG35Princess
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 5:20 and on a good day I'm down stairs working out by 5:45, then to work by 7. I am not a morning person so it has been a bit of a struggle. It definitely helps me to have an in-home gym so all I have to do is walk downstairs and turn on the TV or music and get to it. I also have a boyfriend that is a morning person and has been doing morning workouts for years, which helps. If I had to drive to the gym I don't think I would workout in the morning. I do feel better know those calories are "in the bank".
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    The only time I a consistent is if I workout first thing in the morning. If I switch to afternoon "classes" or programs, I tend to skip more. So, on work days I get up between 5/5:30 and workout out almost every day. Some days I'll do a class or something later in the day, but that's an extra only.

I either run or do a work out video, so there is no gym hassle, but with the weather changing here I may renew my gym membership, just so I can have a warm place to run. I'd still go early and return home to get dressed for work and the kids and hubby out of the house each morning. It helps me that I do not have to get to the gym.

I also sleep in my workout clothes and only brush my teeth and have water before my workout. I will eat afterwards if starving, but lately I've been having just coffee (trying the BPC stuff) and I have been good to go for the day.

It really is just habit. While you are motivated now, get into the morning routine and when your motivation lags, hopefully the habit will kick in for you! Good luck!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I go straight to the gym after work. I tried the early morning workout, I felt that I was lazier doing it. I felt like I couldn't lift as heavy or push myself on cardio as much. Has anyone had this experience, and did that feeling go away once early morning workouts become your routine? The only workout that feels ok in the morning is swimming. I don't hate my early morning swimming.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    There are never 5am kids activities, job delays, games or traffic that get in the way of an AM workout.

You body will adapt to the time change, although it doesnt really get enjoyable. I know I feel way better going than if I dont go.

I have a wife, I dont hit snooze 5 times (dont want to wake her), I sleep as solid as I can until I need to get up, my clothes are set up, have 1/2 cup of coffee, bathroom, then roll

Good luck
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am pretty close to this as well. I get up at 4:40 to leave the house at 5:10 for my gym workout at 5:30.

I also lay everything out in advance, my clothes, my water bottle, my supplements, my protein shake so I can dress and run.

I have been doing it this way-6 days a week since January. I don't need my alarm anymore and if I miss my workout for some reason-early meeting, sick kids, etc. I am out of sorts. It is my routine. I drink more water and get more protein in this way.

If I have time, I will try to do something active in the evening as well-walk with dog or run with my daughter (prep for her cross country meets) but all bonus activites.
    Hope it helps. Give it a try. Remember it takes 21 days to establish a habit.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Once you force yourself to do it and make it a routine, it is awesome! But that is coming from someone who has not been doing it and would LOVE to get back into the habit. I felt 100 times better the rest of the day, also your body burns more fat working out in the morning. Plus, you get it done... of course, for me that means getting to bed early and getting a good nights rest. Good luck!
  • Sassenach1017
    Sassenach1017 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a new 5 a.m. walker.. It really stinks at times, because I feel like that is when I'm getting my most awesome sleep. I can't say it gets easier, but the more I exercise the better I feel. :)
  • skill133
    Options
    There are never 5am kids activities, job delays, games or traffic that get in the way of an AM workout.

You body will adapt to the time change, although it doesnt really get enjoyable. I know I feel way better going than if I dont go.

I have a wife, I dont hit snooze 5 times (dont want to wake her), I sleep as solid as I can until I need to get up, my clothes are set up, have 1/2 cup of coffee, bathroom, then roll

Good luck

I think this is what I need to do. Thanks!
  • skill133
    Options
    I turned off my alarm today thinking I "have this" and was getting up, and somehow fell back asleep! UGH! Frustrated that happened. Lesson learned though. Sit up then shut off alarm. And no snoozes. Set alarm for latest time to get up and sleep til that time. And get up when alarm goes off. Will try this tomorrow and Friday.

Knowing there are tons of other 5 am workout peeps is helping. But obviously today was a fail.
  • skill133
    Options
    I go straight to the gym after work. I tried the early morning workout, I felt that I was lazier doing it. I felt like I couldn't lift as heavy or push myself on cardio as much. Has anyone had this experience, and did that feeling go away once early morning workouts become your routine? The only workout that feels ok in the morning is swimming. I don't hate my early morning swimming.

I totally have experienced that. Taht's why I used to workout in evenings. Had more to give to the workout. my muscles just don't want to do anything at 5 am! ugh! But hopefully I can build a habit and maybe train the body to workout that early.
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the 5am club too! Monday to Friday I'm up and exercising by 5.15am. I find it works best as I like getting it over with early on in the day, which means I'm not struggling to do it after work in the evenings when I'm busy or feeling tired. The early mornings don't really bother me anymore, I've just become used to getting up at that time. I get everything i need ready the evening before and then I'm good to go. Works for me! :)