Can men and women maintain a platonic relationship?

Options

Replies

• diespel
    diespel Posts: 700
    Options
    If they find one another attractive or there's
    any kind of sexual chemistry, it's impractical
    to believe they can be friends in a platonic
    friendship.

I want you....
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    LOL Yes....because it's possible to get to know someone, hang out, and even think they're attractive without wanting to stick it in them. It's called self control. We're not dogs. ffs....
  • Gordon_L
    Gordon_L Posts: 4,475 Member
    Options
    Maybe
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    It is called brother and sisters, or the like. Problem with guys who continually want to bang girls they meet isn't because of nature, it is lack of self-control and seeing beyond their physical needs. That said, I've been very guilty of that in my past.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    LOL Yes....because it's possible to get to know someone, hang out, and even think they're attractive without wanting to stick it in them. It's called self control. We're not dogs. ffs....

orly20baby.gif

(I keed I keed :tongue:)
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It is called brother and sisters, or the like. Problem with guys who continually want to bang girls they meet isn't because of nature, it is lack of self-control and seeing beyond their physical needs. That said, I've been very guilty of that in my past.

well said
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I agree with this.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options

orly20baby.gif

I couldn't be in a platonic relationship with this one. 10/10 would wreck that chick. #MarriedFlirtingOnMFP!
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I was in college and then in my 20's I had lots of platonic male friends. Many were really good friends. I've noticed as they each got married and as the years passed by, I never ever hear from them anymore.

So, looking back were we only friends or was there more to it? Some days, I wonder.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

orly20baby.gif

I couldn't be in a platonic relationship with this one. 10/10 would wreck that chick. #MarriedFlirtingOnMFP!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

7191058.gif
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe it can be done. My husband's best friend is a woman. They have known each other since they were 14 and now in their early 40's are just as close. Neither myself or her husband are jealous. We all get along great and get together several times a year and Skype at least once a month. So it definitely it can be done!!
  • RunnerStephe
    Options
    About 85% of my friends are female. Of course! Duh! My wife knows where I sleep at night. I tell her who I'm with if I go out without her. Sometimes she comes. I just don't enjoy being around most men. With has male friends. A friend is a friend.
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I feel that a real and deep platonic friendship can be lasting between a LIKE minded man and woman :happy: I've just not found a man yet that has the same thing on his mind LIKE I have on mine in terms of our friendship :laugh: I have, however, definitely witnessed very caring and devoted platonic friendships between male and female friends of mine over the years. :happy:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options

orly20baby.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

7191058.gif

giphy.gif
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think as long as there is no physical attraction. At least it seems easier to be "just friends" when neither party is attracted to the other.

I guess I'm out.

I find a lot of my female and male friends are attractive.
  • bevhillsilly
    bevhillsilly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like the concept of having a platonic male friend but its never worked out for me.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    i find it funny that all the girls are saying yes while the guys are saying yes only if they (the girls) are ugly ....
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    You can find someone physically attractive and still be friends with them. I have platonic friendships with males, while they have expressed what they think about me physically and if we were single, they'd try to hook up with me, it stays platonic. In fact the word platonic means (of love or friendship) intimate and affectionate but not sexual. If a male can't be friends with a female he finds attractive without constantly wanting to put it in her...then it's a personal issue.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    nope. you have to at least think of doing your friend once no?