It's not fair

Options

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way. All he has to do is think about losing weight and he loses it.
  • mamafelfleh
    mamafelfleh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is like my neighbor telling me that I'm lucky I'm losing weight! She was sitting drinking coffee and I was running so I'm not sure what luck has to do with the weight loss?!
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how he can "eat anything" and not "gain weight" and still have 31 lbs to lose? hmmmm
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    My husband has been on a health "kick" recently. He's the kind of guy who can eat anything and not gain weight. A few months ago he started P90X on a whim and lost about 20 lbs. About a week or two weeks ago he decided to follow the food plan that goes with it... he's lost 11 pounds! WTF?!?!? I'm sure some of that is water weight, I know, but still... really?!?

I've been struggling to lose 11 lbs for 2 years now and he does it in a week. Why is this so hard for me and so easy for him?

UGH!!!

He committed and put in the work

QFT
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Hormones.

Their bodies are designed to be athletic. Our bodies are designed to be nurturing (aka fat).
    :huh: we hold about 7% more bodyfat than men, but this by no means is an excuse to say we are designed to be fat. We are designed to have more essential fat than men, but this is accounted for in body fat goal adjustments between men and women.

I'm not saying that we are designed to be obese. Just explaining why a woman's body doesn't lose fat as fast as a man's.
    Ok I guess if a man and a woman both had 20% bf the man would have more inessential fat than a woman, so have an easer time getting rid of it.

But if you compare a man at 13% and a woman at 20% they would have to put in about the same effort to lose 1% because they both have close to the same inessential bf to lose.

You're assuming that her husband's body fat was lower than hers when he started. It could have been the same as hers or higher even.
    If it was the same or higher than hers it would be that much easer to shed lbs. We all know the more you have to lose the faster you can drop it!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    11 pounds in 2 years? It's obvious that you're not trying.

Wow! That's kind of unfair. You don't know what's going on with her body. OP, if you find it difficult to lose then perhaps you should talk to your doctor. There are medical explanations for slow weight loss.

Before we start jumping into "medical explanations", how about we rule out things like human error, inconsistent logging, lack of effort, etc?

Not everyone has a medical issue. Some people just don't put in the work.

Because it's easier to believe that you are not in control of your life or weight rather than accept accountability and the hard work it'll take to get you to where you want to be.

Seriously. Some people spend lots of money and time trying to find some medical condition that will excuse them for not being fit/losing weight, etc rather than spend that time (and less money) on actually committing and working hard to their goals.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    11 pounds in 2 years? It's obvious that you're not trying.

Wow! That's kind of unfair. You don't know what's going on with her body. OP, if you find it difficult to lose then perhaps you should talk to your doctor. There are medical explanations for slow weight loss.

Before we start jumping into "medical explanations", how about we rule out things like human error, inconsistent logging, lack of effort, etc?

Not everyone has a medical issue. Some people just don't put in the work.

Anecdotes are never fair, but... I have a medical issue (often not treated properly due to fluctuating levels/dosage changes), and even I've lost more than that on average. "Not fair" is how I view my body versus others most of the time, but that's after I've been rigorous to the point of carrying a pocket scale around for food :laugh:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    My BF lost 20 pounds going to one more capoiera class per week and eating the small fries instead of the large fries. Good for him, and also good for me, because I get to enjoy his hotter body without hearing him b*tch and moan about having to lose weight.

OP, your husband's work is his work, and your work is your work. Keep your eyes on your own test paper and get your own work done.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My hubby is over 6 inches taller than me so he gets way more calories. I have to be careful that I am not comparing my eating to his. If we split something in half, I could get too many calories for weight loss and he could still be at a deficit.
  • Redribbon73
    Redribbon73 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel op, I was wanting to loose a bit of weight not too much and joined mfp did the whole calorie counting thing working out most days blah blah blah and lost the weight. My hubby on the other hand didn't do a single jumping jack lol but just ate healthy with me and lost weight. I mean uuugghhhh so annoying but hey ho that's men and women for you.
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    Because men are annoying.

HA! Thanks for the laugh :) But in response to this thread, all I can say is that hubby is the same way. It's no different than seeing those model-thin girls that can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. You have to find a way to accept that there is a genetic difference between you and hubby. Let the fact that you have NO control over this enable you to let it go (God grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change). Instead, pay attention to your own diet and exercise and find happiness in the strides you personally make instead of berating yourself over the progress of others. It's tough, I know. When I joined MFP there was a girl I became friends with and she stuck with the program and has lost like 115 pounds whereas I have fallen off the bandwagon and actually GAINED weight. It's hard not to compare myself to her and do the "wouldda couldda shouldda" but that kind of thinking will derail me once again. I'm just trying to compete with myself now- pitting the "fat me" against the "me I wanna be".
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Men have testosterone--it builds muscle and burns calories. Women have estrogen. It makes and wants to hang onto fat. Women also outlive men by around 10 years. Neither is fair; it's just the way it is.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    "It's not fair" is generally the battle cry of the easily defeated. Time to put on your grown up pants and start taking responsibility for your own weight loss or lack of...as your husbands success over the brief period you compared your efforts to have no impact on the results you have had over the last two years.

The mature thing to do would be to see his success as an inspiration.
  • mccindy72
    Options

HA! Thanks for the laugh :) But in response to this thread, all I can say is that hubby is the same way. It's no different than seeing those model-thin girls that can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. You have to find a way to accept that there is a genetic difference between you and hubby. Let the fact that you have NO control over this enable you to let it go (God grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change). Instead, pay attention to your own diet and exercise and find happiness in the strides you personally make instead of berating yourself over the progress of others. It's tough, I know. When I joined MFP there was a girl I became friends with and she stuck with the program and has lost like 115 pounds whereas I have fallen off the bandwagon and actually GAINED weight. It's hard not to compare myself to her and do the "wouldda couldda shouldda" but that kind of thinking will derail me once again. I'm just trying to compete with myself now- pitting the "fat me" against the "me I wanna be".

Model-thin girls cannot eat whatever they want and not gain weight. They eat few calories than they burn, hence they do not gain weight. It works that way for everyone.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

They cannot eat whatever they want and just gain weight. That's a total myth.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    My husband is the same way. All he has to do is think about losing weight and he loses it.

Be realistic. obviously that's not true.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It is unfair. It sucks. It is really, really, ridiculously annoying.

It's not any of those things. He was doing P90x and following the meal plan. If he didn't lose weight, THAT would be unfair.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It is unfair. It sucks. It is really, really, ridiculously annoying.

Crybaby_zps81bba146.gif
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've consistently lost 10 lbs a month for the last 4 months. That's with regular logging and moderate exercise.

If I hopped over to p90x, I bet I could get that as high as 15 a month.

It's all about the work you're willing to put in.

The only reason you haven't been able to lose 11 lbs in a year is because you haven't done the work.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Dropping an overall 31 lbs tells me that he is actually NOT the type of guy that can eat whatever he wants and not gain weight....just saying. Maybe he is trolling you? Carry on carry on.