You know you have wavy/curly hair when...

Options

Replies

• LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    when people ask.." is that your real hair" and when you answer yes..they say, "I hate you"...:laugh: people please!!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    ...after going to sleep with wet hair, you toddle half-awake down the hall, and the cat rounds the corner at the other end, and all its fur stands on and as if it had stumbled across a rabid wolf and it scrambles away in a panic, nearly launching wads of carpet from beneath its back feet.

Yes, this really happened to me. I think the state of my hair resembled the state of a puffed-up cat and so the cat interpreted it as *me* being in the fearful or aggressive emotional state of a puffed-up cat.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    You know you have wavy/curly hair when...

You look in the mirror and see that your hair is either wavy or curly.
  • D_A_W_N__H_A_R_R
    Options
    ....hairdressers can NEVER cut your hair correctly, and always cut off too much because they forget how much it shrinks when dry.
  • super_jade
    Options
    Your boyfriends nearly loses his hand in the mayhem that I call "the beast"

You wash the beast and then you do not touch the beast. Ever.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    When you take it for granted that you will be getting a bad haircut because few people seem to know how to cut thick wavy hair and make it look good. Two or three times in my adult life I've found stylists who could make it look great but they always move away.

I've been using Biosilk Silk Therapy for years. Put a dime size amount in palm (amount depends on length) and work it into damp hair after shower. Leave in and comb hair. Scrunch the ends for some nice wave if you want. Used to work great for getting hair under control. Less so now because my hair has become markedly more wavy last couple years (another consequence of the aging process I didn't expect). I still use it because it helps still with the frizzy and keeps my hair hydrated.

Oh, you can get it on Amazon.com
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Oh IN!
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a hair stylist but I also have incredibly thick, curly hair. My go-to method I *swear* by... Wash hair once or twice a week. If you need to "wash" more often, just use conditioner. Sounds strange but hair feels clean but isn't stripped of natural oils. Detangle with a wide tooth comb in the shower while conditioner is in. When you get out, lightly dry it with an old t-shirt (towels take out too much moisture), and clip the top half of your hair up. Apply a generous amount of product to the underneath. Comb through. Un-clip the top and add a generous amount of product, then comb through again. It's important to comb the product through to evenly coat the hair. Remember to do this when hair is WET. Like, just dry enough that it's not dripping. Once product is combed through, turn toue head upside down and shake side to side so that the curls seperate naturally and then lightly scrunch upwards with your hands. Then flip your head up and DO NOT TOUCH until it's dry. At this point you're "setting" the curl. Touching it WILL make it frizz. I generally do this routine at night and put it in a bun so when I wake up it's not soaking wet. It's certainly not dry but it's not dripping. Also, a product I *cannot* live without is Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock Curl Amplifier. It's a firm hold cream. I have 5 bottles of it in my closet. If you let your hair "set" without touching it will set slightly crunchy. But when your hair dries you can just lightly scrunch it and it's not crunchy at all. I hate crunchy curls. This stuff rocks and my method of washing and applying product sounds kinda basic but those little details make a huge difference in how my hair looks. Sorry if that was insanely long...I just know how tough curls are and I feel like I finally figured them out and hope that might help someone. And I personally feel you should all put down the flat irons. Embrace whatcha got girls! :-)
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Lurking... I have really thick straight coarse hair, but both my girls have curly hair. I have NO IDEA how to manage curls so I need to learn!
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    When you can't ever go to bed with wet hair, or even slightly damp hair because it will be so scrunched up on the side of your head in the morning that even rewetting it won't make it even with the other side.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    When your paddle brush is wider than your hand with fingers outspread...
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    ....hairdressers can NEVER cut your hair correctly, and always cut off too much because they forget how much it shrinks when dry.

ALL THE TIME. EVERY TIME.
  • libbydoodle11
    Options

ALL THE TIME. EVERY TIME.

OH, I didn't know it would shrink THAT MUCH. Sorry.....
  • libbydoodle11
    Options
    When you rock the "wet" jerry curl look to get defined curls or otherwise its just a nappy mess.

When you've paid tons for straight perms and decided to just do it yo self with Rusk Anti-Curl Curl-Killer.

When you realize corn-rows look good on you and low -maintenance.

When you have a blow-out and refuse to get in the water lest a drop of water land on your head.

When you own heavy duty hair irons/ blowers and numerous brushes and straightening balms to get the **** straight.

You get a workout straightening your hair; takes an hour or longer depending on length.

When you get made fun of as a kid in the 80's because yo momma gave you a mullet; nappy fro mullet.

If I think of more will be back. Sorry if any repeats. This is real coarse curly here lol I don't consider wavy hair curly at all :laugh:

I call wavy hair "bendy".
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    ...after going to sleep with wet hair, you toddle half-awake down the hall, and the cat rounds the corner at the other end, and all its fur stands on and as if it had stumbled across a rabid wolf and it scrambles away in a panic, nearly launching wads of carpet from beneath its back feet.

Yes, this really happened to me. I think the state of my hair resembled the state of a puffed-up cat and so the cat interpreted it as *me* being in the fearful or aggressive emotional state of a puffed-up cat.

Lol

Sometimes I just dry my hair with a diffuser before bed and I look like Scar from Lion King and I run around chasing our Chihuahua. She don't recognize me and growls while I roar at her. She gets scurd.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    You wake up with a nest on your head everyday
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

I call wavy hair "bendy".

Wavy haired peeps don't suffer as much so when they try to relate, NO. just no.

I was always jelly of the wavy haired girls. My daughter has wavy hair and I'm glad. No child should suffer the wraath of the coarse curl.... obvs if that's what you get ya live & ya learn :grumble:
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    When you beg your kids NOT to play with your hair cause it will make it frizz.
    When you dread trips to FL.

FWIW, I use a Curl Cloth for drying my hair, I try to skip shampoo some of the time (but I cant stand it on workout days), I use conditioner, a hair gel and argan oil, and then let my hair air dry while trying not to touch it. I never comb or brush my hair
  • Winchesterfied
    Winchesterfied Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When every stylist is afraid of your hair! Pretty much every person who has ever done my hair has told me how I have a lot. I kid you not a stylist once broke her comb in my hair. Oops!
  • Christineclendaniel
    Options
    When there is NO SUCH THING as trying to get a brush through your hair without conditioning it first....no conditioner=no hair wash

This is the best thread ever....so happy to know I am not alone!