Food you never thought you'd like.... but do now?

For me, it's spinach. Growing up and even until a couple months ago, the stuff just grossed me out.

Today for lunch, I had 5oz of baby spinach sauteed with bacon fat, shallots, garlic and a splash of red wine vinegar. Love that stuff.

Replies

• sarahcakez
    sarahcakez Posts: 30 Member
    Asparagus, spinach and sardines! I haven't boarded the cauliflower train quite yet but I'm determined to make it work.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,754 Member
    Asparagus, spinach and sardines! I haven't boarded the cauliflower train quite yet but I'm determined to make it work.

Ew sardines. I love asparagus and cauliflower. I can steam a whole 10oz bag of cauliflower, mash it down with a fork, drop on about 1/2-1tbsp butter (depending on my fat macros for the day, lol), pepper(heavily), salt(lightly) and go to town on that. Course, I also love brussel sprouts and have since I was a kid, heh.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Lima beans. They're so unpopular that I think they're served just once a year in our cafeteria. I load up; everyone else at my table makes fun of me for eating them.

I save my derogatory comments for the liver-and-onions fans... which is also served but once a year.
  • My mom and I were talking about this yesterday...

-spinach
    -hummus
    -asparagus
    -greek yogurt
    -Havarti cheese
    -lemons/limes
    -sweet bell peppers
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Broccoli, I used to hate it, now I love it but I like it cooked better than I do raw
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,754 Member
    My mom and I were talking about this yesterday...

-spinach
    -hummus
    -asparagus
    -greek yogurt
    -Havarti cheese
    -lemons/limes
    -sweet bell peppers

Oooh, yeah I've jumped on greek yogurt too, though I dislike regular with a passion.
  • Apothys28
    Apothys28 Posts: 56 Member
    ONIONS!!! God how I dreaded onions! I don't love them now but I don't hate them anymore.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Artichokes: When I was little I hated how long they took to eat, pulling off each leaf and scraping it through your teeth. Now I love them and don't mind taking my time.
    Bleu Cheese: Just too intense a flavour for a little kid, but now, OMG I love bleu cheese on salad with cranberries and pecans or on top of a grilled burger, or as a dressing for arugula salad.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Avocado.
    Shirataki Noodles
  • Collards, turnips, or any kind of leafy greens. I hated them growing up, but now I'd eat them every day if I could.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I agree with some of those already said:
    Spinach
    Greek Yogurt

I have one to add: Clif bars / granola bars / protein bars

Years ago, I though all except the chewy Sunbelt Fudge Dipped were just awful. Then I started taking them hiking because they are easy to carry for a good snack, and Clif has done tremendous work making theirs taste better. Now I contemplate eating them regularly, even if I'm not out hiking or on the go.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Brussels sprouts and cauliflower!!
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Shelled Hemp - I was looking for something to add to my food, to increase my protein intake (as I can't eat too many eggs and I'm not a big meat eater) and it was recommended to me; when I first saw it I thought it looked a bit odd and Hemp is Cannabis isn't it!?!

Yes it is cannabis, but there is more than one type and this particular type doesn't get you high....

But now I love it and add it to my porridge every morning, add it to salad, mix it into omelettes and scrambled egg, put it in my soups.... It's really versatile and a great find.

xXx
  • Oatmeal. My dad made it for me every morning when I was in elementary school and I got so sick of it that I thought I'd never eat it again. Now, at 23, I eat it for breakfast most mornings.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    When I was younger I hated
    Bleu Cheese
    Brussels Sprouts
    Asparagus
    Bell Peppers
    Artichokes
    All beans

Now I eat all that stuff just fine, except lima, butter, and green beans. Still can't stand those. But black beans? Love 'em.
  • malondy
    malondy Posts: 1 Member
    Kale!!!....Just thinking about it would make me gag!.. Now I crave Kale Salad!!! I must add that it does wonders for my digestive system........I need some pointers on different foods to try. I am starting to get bored. Help!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yogurt
    asparagus
    quac
    zuccihini
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    sausage and certain hot dogs. i hated all hot dogs growing up. i still hate the cheap ones. i didnt like sausage either. now i like GOOD sausage, and hebrew nationals. still not the gross hot dogs.

i now love grapefruit,

while i liked chocolate as a kid i didnt love it and didnt usually choose it if there were options.

i also hated beets and spaghetti. i still dont like spaghetti unless it is cold leftovers, then i love it on occasion. i like beets but mostly if they are pickled.

i still dont like kidney beans or lima beans or mac and cheese.

i love bitter flavors done right now, like orange peel. not so much as a kid.

as a kid i liked marshmallows and now i dont like them much.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Asparagus and brussels sprouts. oh and I used to hate salmon when I was a kid, can't get enough now.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Oatmeal. My dad made it for me every morning when I was in elementary school and I got so sick of it that I thought I'd never eat it again. Now, at 23, I eat it for breakfast most mornings.

Ha! I had a similar experience. My mom would give me heaping bowls of oatmeal for breakfast, and I'd take two bites and be so full and sick from it but she'd want me to finish it. Eventually I decided I hated oatmeal so she stopped giving it to me.

Years later, as an adult, I made oatmeal and loved it. The difference was my mom would put 2 Tbsp of butter in a bowl of oatmeal and that is what I couldn't stand! Without the butter, I can eat it without feeling sick.

For me:
    -oatmeal
    -eggs (was allergic as a toddler)
    -raw or stewed tomatoes (still kind of on the fence)
    -green peppers

Beets. One christmas I saw sliced beets and thought it was cranberry sauce from a can. I bit into it and was so shocked I hated beets forever (or so I thought). Now I LOVE them.