Just need to vent

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yes there are so many things I want to do and one will to break up with my loser boyfriend when I get home I been on here all nite reading what he has to say theresamichelle here is Michelle to bad I knew it was u once u said u were going on matience tom

Ummmm, whut?

I think we need Lithium STAT!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're falling into a common trap-- you're running so you're eating more, and you're not logging so you don't realize it.

Honestly it doesn't sound like you're ready. That's okay. When you are ready, MFP will still be here.

Exactly this.

I don't like counting my calories, either. Sometimes I even have to stop if I feel an old ED getting triggered. But, for the most part, I do it. I even have a scale. I wasn't going to get one but my estimations were off so I had to. I spent a few months weighing and teaching myself how to eyeball.

The point is, we have to do what works for us within the context of doing what works for weight loss.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Exercise always makes a difference, even if you don't see it. Overweight people who exercise are generally healthier than overweight people who don't (statistically speaking).

The type of food you eat and the amount of exercise you do won't cause weight loss unless you are in a calorie deficit. It's quite possible to become overweight while eating "healthy foods" and exercising regularly. Healthy foods have calories too.

Unfortunately this is true, and many times even eating lower cal can take many many months to have any effect.

for past 3 years now:
    everytime i went for blood tests as i'm diabetic, i had bp done, bloods done, weight taken.
    I have been permanently under on calories.
    I stayed same weight for over 6+ months each time, then suddenly half a stone poof gone.

september 2014 been exception and I lost 1 stone so far and now stalled again.

It can just be like that

so my advice is, don't give up, keep at it, and in time your hard work will pay off, plus you will get fitter which is always a major plus :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Exercise always makes a difference, even if you don't see it. Overweight people who exercise are generally healthier than overweight people who don't (statistically speaking).

The type of food you eat and the amount of exercise you do won't cause weight loss unless you are in a calorie deficit. It's quite possible to become overweight while eating "healthy foods" and exercising regularly. Healthy foods have calories too.

Unfortunately this is true, and many times even eating lower cal can take many many months to have any effect.

for past 3 years now:
    everytime i went for blood tests as i'm diabetic, i had bp done, bloods done, weight taken.
    I have been permanently under on calories.
    I stayed same weight for over 6+ months each time, then suddenly half a stone poof gone.

september 2014 been exception and I lost 1 stone so far and now stalled again.

It can just be like that

so my advice is, don't give up, keep at it, and in time your hard work will pay off, plus you will get fitter which is always a major plus :)

eating an appropriate amount, lower than the TDEE will result in weight loss.
    if you're "eating less" for 4 months and not losing, then you're doing 1 of 2 things.
    1. eating at or above your TDEE... or.
    2. see above.

if you aren't losing, you're likely eating more than you think. Weigh everything that goes in your mouth? everything? down to the gram?

If you're accurately weighing and logging your food, everything, for 6 weeks.. and haven't lost, then congrats... you found your maintenance.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Well, if what you are doing isn't working (not counting calories) then maybe you should try something new. If you truly want to lose the weight you will use the tools you have been given. It is a lot of work, but in the end you will be happier and healthier for it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Yes there are so many things I want to do and one will to break up with my loser boyfriend when I get home I been on here all nite reading what he has to say theresamichelle here is Michelle to bad I knew it was u once u said u were going on matience tom

This.

But seriously, when I first started running in 2010/2011, I took it as a license to eat whatever I wanted. I think I was running 3, maybe 4 time a week, and nothing beyond 3-5 miles. After my 1.5 years away from running, I learned the hard truth about my eating habits. It doesn't help when everyone who knows that you run kinda perpetuates the myth that you can eat everything in sight. Running isn't a magic bullet - calorie control is.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Huh? Has someone had a little too much to drink?

I'm thinking so.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I hate counting calories/watching macros but even too much good food can be bad... so I do it anyways.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So, I haven't posted in any forum in years. But I just have to vent today. I lost about 40 pounds over the course of 2 years using mfp. I got pregnant and gained about 30 back (which was kind of necessary ;) ). My son is 15 months old, and I weigh as much as I did when he was born. Lately, we have been eating less and eating healthier, but there has been no change in the scale or how I look. This summer, I took up running.....no change. How can one run 3 times a week and not see a change??? So, I quit.

I feel so fat and yucky, and I don't even feel like I want to continue anymore. It's like nothing changes. I don't want to count calories, because we have been trying to eat better foods, which means no low fat junk filled with bad things. I don't do low fat, so I eat less. I just needed to express this in writing. If running doesn't make a difference, why even bother.

If you want people to take you seriously and help you open your diary.

I eat very healthy - no junk, soda, no meat/chicken/seafood, no processed food - my biggest program is portion control. So you can eat as healthy as you want, unless you have your portions under control, nothing will work.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't want to count calories, because we have been trying to eat better foods, which means no low fat junk filled with bad things. I don't do low fat, so I eat less. I just needed to express this in writing. If running doesn't make a difference, why even bother.

I understand your frustration but you should really try counting calories again. You said you lost 40 lbs using MFP, so you know you've had success with it in the past. You can overeat "better foods" and still not lose or gain weight. I don't really understand how not eating low fat equates to eating less. You really don't know if you are eating less if you are not counting.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you have to eat at a deficit.

To eat at a deficit you have to know how much you are eating.

To know how much you are eating you have to weigh and measure everything you eat.

The first sentence is true, the second and third are not. You need a deficit for fat loss. That is ALL you need. How is personal preference.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In. To see if the OP comes back.

The-Cat-in-the-Hat-Comes-Back-220x300.jpg
    I just like adding pics.
  • trogalicious
    Options

To know how much you are eating you have to weigh and measure everything you eat.

The first sentence is true, then second and third are not. You need a deficit for fat loss. That is ALL you need. How is personal preference.

so how do you determine a deficit if you don't know what you start with?
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This will always be your choice.

It's hard work counting calories.

It's hard work training with consistency.

It's impossibly hard to change bad habits.

It's unlikely you will be successful until you change your mindset.

Our health is our ultimate choice - when you want it badly enough - you will do the work to make it happen. :flowerforyou:

This. Nothing more, nothing less
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

The first sentence is true, then second and third are not. You need a deficit for fat loss. That is ALL you need. How is personal preference.

If you are losing weight, you are in a deficit. Millions of people have lost weight without measuring or logging their food.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Unless there are medical reasons preventing you from losing, you are taking in more calories then your body is using.

While you may not like tracking calories, force yourself to do it for a few days, and do it honestly. Measure/weigh your food and track appropriately. Add your running times into the activity tracker.

After doing this, then you can decide where to go from there.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Put it in perspective. Say a piece of homemade pizza (look ma! no junk!) is about 200 calories. That is 2 miles to run it off. How many people eat a single slice of pizza? I know that I eat at least 2 or 3. Which is 4-6 miles, and almost an hour out running.

Running does not give one carte blanche to eat, no matter how healthy the diet. I would honestly say running sucks for the calorie burn you get until you start getting into the higher miles. Sure the stereotype for runners are lanky thin with their face in a bowl of pasta, but even elite runners don't eat like that - they are too consumed with what their racing weight needs to be and counting calories.

Healthy food =/= weight loss. Running =/= weight loss. Consistent calorie deficit does, and if you aren't logging, you are likely overeating.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the replies so sorry if this has been said but... You know MFP works because you've lost weight with it in the past, now it's just a matter of getting back into that routine. I totally understand the whole not wanting to track mindset, however it's a good idea to start doing it for a few days (be honest) to see where you're at and make appropriate adjustments. I hope that when I'm done losing weight that I'll have learned what a serving is and won't have to keep at it forever but I don't know if that's the case. The bottom line is for me, tracking, being strict, and honest about what I eat is the price I have to pay to lose weight and get fit.

Congrats on the running by the way and don't let the scale weight deter you. Exercise has so many benefits beyond the scale that it's well worth sticking to.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you :smile:
  • trogalicious
    Options

If you are losing weight, you are in a deficit. Millions of people have lost weight without measuring or logging their food.
    ... no one is negating that.

my point, especially for the OP, is just this:

why rely on guesswork? Why not just log what you're eating to figure out how much you NEED to eat?

Obviously you only need to be in a deficit... but when people come here (a big calorie counting food logging website) and ask why they aren't losing... the go-to response is "how much are you eating."

...so isn't that a disservice to tell them not to worry about it? If you can lose without counting, awesome. OP isn't having the same experience.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options

How does that help OP?

OP - you didn't get fat overnight. You're not going to get thin overnight. If you expect immediate results, you're only going to be discouraged.