Just need to vent

Options

Replies

• nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yes there are so many things I want to do and one will to break up with my loser boyfriend when I get home I been on here all nite reading what he has to say theresamichelle here is Michelle to bad I knew it was u once u said u were going on matience tom

FK8rOGOEUiV2M.gif
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    When I first started using MFP it took me over a month of eating at or under the correct amount of calories to lose any weight at all. I was extremely frustrated, but I held on until it started to work. Then after 8 months I added exercising in because I had lost 45lbs just counting calories, but I wanted to lose more and I wanted to tone. You have to give it time for it to start to work...don't give up! Make sure that you know how many calories are in each thing you are eating so you know for sure that you don't go over your calories. I'm pretty sure every food has calories, even those ones that advertise "negative calories".
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Yes there are so many things I want to do and one will to break up with my loser boyfriend when I get home I been on here all nite reading what he has to say theresamichelle here is Michelle to bad I knew it was u once u said u were going on matience tom

FK8rOGOEUiV2M.gif

Every time you post a sassy gif, you make me so proud. <3
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was 15 years old when I decided to get healthier. I am 26 now. My weight has been up, down, and all around since then. But ya know what, I still try. I still give it my all everyday. This is even if "my all" is less or more than the day before. This won't happen in a week or two, maybe not even months. But a little bit everyday adds up. Look at the larger picture.

What would happen if you just tracked your food intake for 1 day? To get a baseline feel of what you're actually consuming. That is why I rejoined MFP back in May - working out hard for MONTHS and no progress. Realized I was consuming a little bit too much. Since then, I actually look forward to tracking and it just apart of my day. As routine as brushing my hair.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight, you are in a deficit. Millions of people have lost weight without measuring or logging their food.

How does that help OP?

OP - you didn't get fat overnight. You're not going to get thin overnight. If you expect immediate results, you're only going to be discouraged.

How does it not help the OP? She was given incorrect information and I corrected it. I don't see how correct information would ever not be helpful. It may make it easier, but if she doesn't want to do it, it may not.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    So, I haven't posted in any forum in years. But I just have to vent today. I lost about 40 pounds over the course of 2 years using mfp. I got pregnant and gained about 30 back (which was kind of necessary ;) ). My son is 15 months old, and I weigh as much as I did when he was born. Lately, we have been eating less and eating healthier, but there has been no change in the scale or how I look. This summer, I took up running.....no change. How can one run 3 times a week and not see a change??? So, I quit.

I feel so fat and yucky, and I don't even feel like I want to continue anymore. It's like nothing changes. I don't want to count calories, because we have been trying to eat better foods, which means no low fat junk filled with bad things. I don't do low fat, so I eat less. I just needed to express this in writing. If running doesn't make a difference, why even bother.

If you aren't counting calories, then you have no idea how much you're eating. Weight loss is about calories in<calories out, and without knowing how much is going in, it's more than likely going to be more than what you expend.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Just the running part:

OP, if you only took up running this summer, even if you are doing it 3 times a week, you probably aren't (yet) at the point where you can run very far at a time. If you keep doing it, you will get better at it, and will get to the stage where you are able to go for longer runs, more frequently, and without it being particularly difficult. That is when it will burn enough calories to make a noticeable difference to your weight loss.
  • nyboer
    Options
    OP, it's been said a few times already...When I'm frustrated because of no results it's ultimately because I'm eating/drinking over my calorie goal. Every. Single. Time. Sorry sweet thang but I suggest you take an honest look at your diet. If you are ready to be committed and do the work you will see the results you want. You will. But hey, vent away, that's why you have friends on MFP.
  • theresamichelle78
    Options
    Thank you to those of you who had helpful things to say. I really just needed to express it. I lost 90+ pounds with WW about 12 years ago, and gained it back plus some. I guess that is when my mind set changed. After being so successful for so long, I got so discouraged that my whole mind set changed. I have a hard time believing that I can lose weight and keep it off forever. I know that I need to change my mindset, but I don't know how that will happen.

To those of you are are super negative and non-supportive--I guess I now know why I stopped going in the forums. Jeesh. If you can't say something helpful or polite, maybe you should just keep your mouth shut. Just saying.
  • Tab122377
    Tab122377 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    counting calories is time consuming with a young one. but it worth it log what you eat for few weeks and go back and look at it i know i found things i thought were healthy and good to eat actually were killing me find what works if you enjoy running keep doing it. and I dont mean running after the 15 month old. do something for your keep moving you can do this.
  • nyboer
    Options

FK8rOGOEUiV2M.gif

Every time you post a sassy gif, you make me so proud. <3

xoxo
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Lose weight in the kitchen, gain lean mass in the gym.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    And you seem like a nice person. I don't want to count calories because there is so much more to being healthy than how many calories you eat. Haven't you learned- if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Guess I will stay away from forums to avoid tools like you.
    losing weight is simply calories in versus calories out.
    many of us have had LOTS of success with it.

but you aren't ready to make any changes yet.

when you are, and you're asking for help on how to do so, then 98% of us will ask you "how much are you eating?"

followed shortly by "are you accurately logging / weighing your food"

you can choose to take the time to do that if you actually want catered personal advice.

or you can follow the 2% of people that will just give you "why don't you just eat less / why don't you try shakeology / let me sell you something" responses.

being butthurt and rude isn't going to get you anywhere, though... regardless.

and yes, being "healthy" isn't just based on calories... but maintaining a healthy weight is directly related to

....waaaaait for it...

maintaining your intake.

.... of calories.
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't want to count calories because there is so much more to being healthy than how many calories you eat.

This is true. My bloodwork/health stats are textbook perfect when I go to the doctor - have been for years - even if I was tracking my food intake or not during that time. What it comes down to, if I want to weigh less, I need to monitor my food consumption in some way, shape or form.

I guess you need to decide what your goal is.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    And you seem like a nice person. I don't want to count calories because there is so much more to being healthy than how many calories you eat. Haven't you learned- if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Guess I will stay away from forums to avoid tools like you.

And this is a nice thing to say to someone?

Please, take a step back. People are just trying to be supportive. This is a calorie counting site, it's what we do.

You are right, there is more to being healthy than counting calories. There's drinking water, sleep, proper nutrition, exercise, proactive medical care, meditation....the list goes on. For weight loss, however, you have to be at a deficit. Counting calories helps ensure that deficit.

If weight loss is not your goal, then that's a different story.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Don't let the negativity get to you.

You don't have to weigh and measure and log to lose weight. That is a fact. You do have to create a deficit. Logging may help with that, but it's just a tool, not a necessity.

Again I would stress having your doctor run some tests to see if you have any medical conditions that might affect your weight loss. A hormonal change would not be surprising after the birth of a child, and hormones play a part in weight loss.

Whatever method you choose, don't give up. Keep working at it and sooner or later your body will have to comply. Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you have to eat at a deficit.

To eat at a deficit you have to know how much you are eating.

To know how much you are eating you have to weigh and measure everything you eat.

The first sentence is true, the second and third are not. You need a deficit for fat loss. That is ALL you need. How is personal preference.

I stand by all 3...2 is most definitely true because if you don't know how much you are eating then how would you know you're at a deficit?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    So, I haven't posted in any forum in years. But I just have to vent today. I lost about 40 pounds over the course of 2 years using mfp. I got pregnant and gained about 30 back (which was kind of necessary ;) ). My son is 15 months old, and I weigh as much as I did when he was born. Lately, we have been eating less and eating healthier, but there has been no change in the scale or how I look. This summer, I took up running.....no change. How can one run 3 times a week and not see a change??? So, I quit.

I feel so fat and yucky, and I don't even feel like I want to continue anymore. It's like nothing changes. I don't want to count calories, because we have been trying to eat better foods, which means no low fat junk filled with bad things. I don't do low fat, so I eat less. I just needed to express this in writing. If running doesn't make a difference, why even bother.

Ok, help me out with this – you lost 40 lbs in 2 years using MFP…but now you don’t want to bother with something that has proven successful (counting calories) because….????? If you just want to wing it and guess how many calories and macros you are eating, you get the type of results that you should expect from not having a logical methodology for nutrition (“eat better foods” and “I don’t do low fat, so I eat less” aren't objective, measurable goals that are likely to benefit someone that wants to lose as much weight as you do)

Running is an activity that benefits your cardiovascular system, and as a bonus, burns calories and can therefore assist in losing weight. Running isn't a license to ignore nutrition.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I don't want to count calories because there is so much more to being healthy than how many calories you eat.

I've deleted the part that is not relevant to this discussion.

Yes, you are correct. Being healthy is about taking care of your mind and body. One of the biggest obstacles that I had to overcome to lose over 100 pounds was in being honest about my responsibility in my health.

Part of being healthy is choosing foods that nourish your body. Another part is only feeding your body what it needs to maintain your energy levels, weight, etc. I always thought that just eating healthy and exercising would, over time, resolve my weight issues. I was so wrong. Until I got real with myself and logged, weighed, measured and counted my calories/macros - I was fighting a losing battle.

I think it's the message that people are trying to give you this morning. It's not ALL about counting calories - but that is one very important piece. I wish you good luck.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Huh? Has someone had a little too much to drink?

LOL....my thoughts exactly!! Holy schnikes! :noway: :drinker: