Just need to vent

Options

Replies

• theresamichelle78
    Options
    So, I haven't posted in any forum in years. But I just have to vent today. I lost about 40 pounds over the course of 2 years using mfp. I got pregnant and gained about 30 back (which was kind of necessary ;) ). My son is 15 months old, and I weigh as much as I did when he was born. Lately, we have been eating less and eating healthier, but there has been no change in the scale or how I look. This summer, I took up running.....no change. How can one run 3 times a week and not see a change??? So, I quit.

I feel so fat and yucky, and I don't even feel like I want to continue anymore. It's like nothing changes. I don't want to count calories, because we have been trying to eat better foods, which means no low fat junk filled with bad things. I don't do low fat, so I eat less. I just needed to express this in writing. If running doesn't make a difference, why even bother.

Ok, help me out with this – you lost 40 lbs in 2 years using MFP…but now you don’t want to bother with something that has proven successful (counting calories) because….????? If you just want to wing it and guess how many calories and macros you are eating, you get the type of results that you should expect from not having a logical methodology for nutrition (“eat better foods” and “I don’t do low fat, so I eat less” aren't objective, measurable goals that are likely to benefit someone that wants to lose as much weight as you do)

Running is an activity that benefits your cardiovascular system, and as a bonus, burns calories and can therefore assist in losing weight. Running isn't a license to ignore nutrition.

I get the logging things, I really do. However, I ate a ton of low fat food to keep the calories low. I now know that low fat food is full of horrible crap. I want to avoid falling into the trap of low fat chemicals. It is disgusting what they have to do with food to make it low fat.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you have to eat at a deficit.

To eat at a deficit you have to know how much you are eating.

To know how much you are eating you have to weigh and measure everything you eat.

The first sentence is true, the second and third are not. You need a deficit for fat loss. That is ALL you need. How is personal preference.

I stand by all 3...2 is most definitely true because if you don't know how much you are eating then how would you know you're at a deficit?

Again, because you are losing weight. I am not measuring or logging my food. I am losing weight, therefore, I know I am in a deficit. I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day, nor do I care because I know it's less than I burn. How do I know?

Again, because I am losing weight.
    and the OP isn't.
    so again, your advice/approach isn't valid.

it doesn't matter how much or how hard you argue it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    So, I haven't posted in any forum in years. But I just have to vent today. I lost about 40 pounds over the course of 2 years using mfp. I got pregnant and gained about 30 back (which was kind of necessary ;) ). My son is 15 months old, and I weigh as much as I did when he was born. Lately, we have been eating less and eating healthier, but there has been no change in the scale or how I look. This summer, I took up running.....no change. How can one run 3 times a week and not see a change??? So, I quit.

I feel so fat and yucky, and I don't even feel like I want to continue anymore. It's like nothing changes. I don't want to count calories, because we have been trying to eat better foods, which means no low fat junk filled with bad things. I don't do low fat, so I eat less. I just needed to express this in writing. If running doesn't make a difference, why even bother.

Ok, help me out with this – you lost 40 lbs in 2 years using MFP…but now you don’t want to bother with something that has proven successful (counting calories) because….????? If you just want to wing it and guess how many calories and macros you are eating, you get the type of results that you should expect from not having a logical methodology for nutrition (“eat better foods” and “I don’t do low fat, so I eat less” aren't objective, measurable goals that are likely to benefit someone that wants to lose as much weight as you do)

Running is an activity that benefits your cardiovascular system, and as a bonus, burns calories and can therefore assist in losing weight. Running isn't a license to ignore nutrition.

I get the logging things, I really do. However, I ate a ton of low fat food to keep the calories low. I now know that low fat food is full of horrible crap. I want to avoid falling into the trap of low fat chemicals. It is disgusting what they have to do with food to make it low fat.
    you don't have to eat low fat foods to lose weight.
    the body needs fat.

eating "fat" doesn't make you fat.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    There will be a day when you look in the mirror or you look at a photo of yourself and think "I deserve more than this". When you see yourself as being worthy of the effort it requires to become the person you want to be, you will be ready to make the necessary changes, including counting calories and logging your food.

I hope that day comes soon.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I'm with you there! I hate low fat crap.

I think you can still log though with regular foods. My calorie target is 1410 and I still eat butter, peanut butter, cheese, etc. Working out helps, and a little creativity. If you are open to it, people here can help you find ways to both log AND eat good food you love.
  • theresamichelle78
    Options
    And you wanna know WHY YOU SHOULD BOTHER??

Because your son will be left without a mother.

Because it SUCKS not having a parent around because they passed away due to obesity related issues. I am 26 years old and lost my Dad last year because he couldn't "bother" to try.

Think about it.

I'm not so fat that I am going to die anytime soon, but thanks for that assumption I guess. My cholesterol, triglycerides, sugar, etc are all extremely healthy.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can help prevent cancer by exercising. Trust me, cancer is something you want to avoid.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

To know how much you are eating you have to weigh and measure everything you eat.

The first sentence is true, the second and third are not. You need a deficit for fat loss. That is ALL you need. How is personal preference.

I stand by all 3...2 is most definitely true because if you don't know how much you are eating then how would you know you're at a deficit?

Again, because you are losing weight. I am not measuring or logging my food. I am losing weight, therefore, I know I am in a deficit. I have no idea how many calories I consume in a day, nor do I care because I know it's less than I burn. How do I know?

and the OP isn't.

I did not advise the OP not to log her food. I corrected an incorrect post.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    There will be a day when you look in the mirror or you look at a photo of yourself and think "I deserve more than this". When you see yourself as being worthy of the effort it requires to become the person you want to be, you will be ready to make the necessary changes.

I hope that day comes soon.

This comment should be the end of this thread. It's the only thing that matters. OP - read this. Keep reading it until you are ready to see yourself as worthy of being healthy.

I also hope that day comes soon.
  • theresamichelle78
    Options
    Technically, if you're overweight while pregnant, it is not necessary to gain any weight at all.

This can be true. Lucky for me, I gained the amount suggested for my weight. I didn't gain a ton like some people who gain 70 pounds while pregnant. I was actually pretty proud of that fact that I only gained what was considered an acceptable amount.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

How about eating smaller portion sizes of full fat food? You'll get less chemicals, better tasting and more satisfying food! I haven't read this whole thread, but what I have read makes it seem like you're looking for people to agree with your excuses. My guess is that you've come to the wrong place for that. Either decide to make a change or don't. It's your life and body, not mine.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those of you who had helpful things to say. I really just needed to express it. I lost 90+ pounds with WW about 12 years ago, and gained it back plus some. I guess that is when my mind set changed. After being so successful for so long, I got so discouraged that my whole mind set changed. I have a hard time believing that I can lose weight and keep it off forever. I know that I need to change my mindset, but I don't know how that will happen.

To those of you are are super negative and non-supportive--I guess I now know why I stopped going in the forums. Jeesh. If you can't say something helpful or polite, maybe you should just keep your mouth shut. Just saying.

I've lost weight and put it back on before too. I imagine a lot of the folks on here have. It's great to know you've done it before so you can certainly do it again. 'grats! Once your mindset does change I hope that you would follow the advice given here. It was good advice. No one was "negative" or "non-supportive." You wanted to vent and were looking for advice. It was offered. Maybe not the advice you wanted but that doesn't make it negative or non-supportive. I for one was speaking from personal experience: when I don't lose weight it's because I'm overeating. End of story. How do I know I'm overeating? I count calories. Does it suck? Yup. For me though, necessary.
  • theresamichelle78
    Options
    And you seem like a nice person. I don't want to count calories because there is so much more to being healthy than how many calories you eat. Haven't you learned- if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Guess I will stay away from forums to avoid tools like you.

Wow. Stay classy OP name calling people who are actually trying to help you? Really? No one has said anything mean to you. No one has said anything mean at all.

ETA: If you didn't want constructive responses from people trying to help you then maybe next time make this a blog post.

I guess I have a different idea of what nice and mean are. I think that some of the comments were unhelpful and unnecessary, and just mean. Some people just said it how it was, that is not who I was addressing that to. I was trying to direct that to a particular post, but didn't do the quote thing right.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'm not so fat that I am going to die anytime soon, but thanks for that assumption I guess. My cholesterol, triglycerides, sugar, etc are all extremely healthy.
    I feel so fat and yucky, and I don't even feel like I want to continue anymore.

OP, you need help beyond that available on an internet forum.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options

You aren't ready. When you are ready you will make all those changes you don't feel like doing yet..
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    And you seem like a nice person. I don't want to count calories because there is so much more to being healthy than how many calories you eat. Haven't you learned- if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Guess I will stay away from forums to avoid tools like you.

Wow. Stay classy OP name calling people who are actually trying to help you? Really? No one has said anything mean to you. No one has said anything mean at all.

ETA: If you didn't want constructive responses from people trying to help you then maybe next time make this a blog post.

I guess I have a different idea of what nice and mean are. I think that some of the comments were unhelpful and unnecessary, and just mean. Some people just said it how it was, that is not who I was addressing that to. I was trying to direct that to a particular post, but didn't do the quote thing right.

Can you help us understand better by telling us which comments you felt were mean?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

and the OP isn't.

I did not advise the OP not to log her food. I corrected an incorrect post.

If you aren't advising the OP then you are thread hijacking.

And it wasn't incorrect. No matter how much you argue it. Maybe that's what works for some, but for someone who has no idea what they are eating, thinks they have cut back but are not losing then I think getting an idea of what they are actually eating would be very useful information to have.
  • JT_Taylor99
    Options

Low in fat DOES NOT always mean low in calories! Perhaps you need to visit a dietician and have them discuss a healthy diet plan with you.
  • theresamichelle78
    Options
    what about your children? What do they have to say........... You just had some children and then you only think about yourself? You bring children into this world and you don't even think about their welfare, their future.........you are young, but if you keep going the way you are, you wont be here long because of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke..........

I am slightly offended that someone who actually imply that I don't care about my son. I am not just thinking of myself. If that was the case, I would be shoving myself full of nasty food all day long, and not exercising at all. One of the things I said in the start of this thread was that I am eating healthy and running, but not losing weight...and that I was finding that frustrating. I did not say that I was a lazy blob who did nothing but snack all day.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Have you considered consulting with a nutrionist or being seen by a doctor?

Since this is generally a math equation, there may be a body chemistry component going on that you may not otherwise be aware of.