Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Wow...this is terrific--THANK YOU so much for posting this! :flowerforyou:
  • jrpenafiel
    Options
    I can't believe that I only saw this post today. I have been logging for 118 days and I only know half of what is in this post. Thank you!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    It's probably already been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I have a food scale that I use heavily, and I will frequently weight out food that already has portion-controlled nutritional information - AND IT'S NEVER ACCURATE. Example: a pre-sliced slice of cheese on the package was listed at something like "1 slice, 21g, 70 calories". I weighed a slice on my scale to be 32 grams.

Small details, but it just goes to show that when in doubt, weigh away.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's probably already been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I have a food scale that I use heavily, and I will frequently weight out food that already has portion-controlled nutritional information - AND IT'S NEVER ACCURATE. Example: a pre-sliced slice of cheese on the package was listed at something like "1 slice, 21g, 70 calories". I weighed a slice on my scale to be 32 grams.

I so totally agree...I weigh it if it's in my house just because I tested some stuff like that....boggles my mind.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I so totally agree...I weigh it if it's in my house just because I tested some stuff like that....boggles my mind.

I have found the same. Especially with things like bread - the size of a slice will depend on whether you're at the beginning/end of a loaf or the middle so I weigh my bread then calculate a percentage based on actual weight and the weight suggested on the pack. For example, my bread is supposed to be 50g, but when I weigh a slice it's actually 45g, I will log it as 0.9 slice rather than 1 slice. The same goes for many other products. The nutritional information given on a pack is based on the average weight of the item when they calculated the nutritional values. In reality, it is likely to be different.

ETA: corrected spelling error
  • kimmid70
    kimmid70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. One question though. I tend to make alot of homemade soups on the weekend and bring to work for lunch during the week. How do I measure each bowl full of soup? I don't usually measure my vegetables, I just cut them and put them in until I think it's enough. So when I spoon it out in the mornings to bring to work, there's no way to measure how much of each vegetable/meat I'm eating...... Any ideas?
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. One question though. I tend to make alot of homemade soups on the weekend and bring to work for lunch during the week. How do I measure each bowl full of soup? I don't usually measure my vegetables, I just cut them and put them in until I think it's enough. So when I spoon it out in the mornings to bring to work, there's no way to measure how much of each vegetable/meat I'm eating...... Any ideas?

You're probably best weighing all the dry ingredients before you cook them. When it's cooked, weigh the entire lot and portion it out. Then weigh your portions and log it as a percentage of the overall weight. That's as accurate as you can get with a meal like that. If you portion out the lot when it's cooked, it saves you weighing/calculating every time you have a portion. I always put a label with weight/percentage on each portion in case they aren't all the same (chances are your last portion or 2 is slightly higher/lower than the rest)
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    This is perfect! Thanks for posting!
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Thanks for taking the time!! * flower for you *
  • kbenzacar
    kbenzacar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Very helpful tips...thanks. Maybe it's what I need!
  • BeautyNovice
    BeautyNovice Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this info! I think it's going to transform my weight loss. Cheers!
  • DiPound
    Options
    lamps1303 wrote: »
    Great post. I prodominantly use the MFP app on my phone, which has a barcode scanner. This is really useful and saves time searching the database, especially helpful when logging whilst preparing a meal. It is also pretty accurate (most of the time)
    Wow.. thanks I didn't know it did that... what a fabulous tip... now I just have to find it :)

• 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    How does one delete , meals from my own "added checked meals" from the past, want to eat clean, and want to delete the crap I used to eat, drop me a mail if you know how to do this? thanks :)
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    tagging
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • AwakenTammy
    AwakenTammy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What is the MFP scanner ap?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The MFP app has food scanner, you use it when adding to your diary.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Excellent. Wish I knew this at the beginning.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Very helpful