Garmin Vivofit

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Hi. So it looks like the vivofit has the old Fitbit problem of only sending information one way. On Garmin connect it syncs and shows my updated calories (which it grabs from MFP), but MFP does not get the activity data from Garmin connect to adjust the calories on MFP. :(

Hopefully its sorted out soon. Hate to return this.

There is a mfp setting that you must check, to allow negative entries. When you check it, it'll all work.

You'll find it in the Diary Settings, for negative adjustments.
  • jond76
    jond76 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the reply. Without touching any settings, it started working on my last sync about 20 minutes ago. Weird. I'll keep your info in mind if it starts acting up . thanks!
  • erichunley
    erichunley Posts: 19 Member
    I wrote a review on the Vivofit on my blog - http://www.hamptonrunner.com/blog/2014/7/10/farewell-to-my-fitbit-friends
    Now I'm looking for new stepping friends since I'm not on the FitBit Flex anymore.

My profile name is erichunley

Hope to see some of you!

Thanks!
  • airforcewife810
    airforcewife810 Posts: 3 Member
    I just now started reading messages in this group. I've been using Vivofit with Garmin Fit on my phone. That app gives you a map traveled and it automatically uploads to activities on connect. Those activities then transfer to MFP. I've written Garmin about a couple of issues, but haven't yet gotten a response. When I do a cardiovascular activity, such as walk, the vivofit isn't picking up on it and adding it to my activities. It's supposed to start recording an activity after ten minutes of consecutive activity. It's only done this for me once. Second, I am not sure if the calories and distance from Vivofit and Garmin Fit combine or if they are double recorded. I asked them, if not, if they would integrate the two together so I can get my steps, distance, and GPS map from my walks. I know you can sync fit bit with a few GPS apps and they are integrated. I really like that idea. Hopefully Garmin will consider this so they aren't outdone by competitors. As for now, however, my Garmin Fit activities get synced to my activities on Garmin Connect and then transfer over to MFP. I also wrote MFP and asked if they'd start adding footsteps from Vivofit/connect. They said they haven't made that decision yet. I know footsteps get added from fitbit.

I am AirForceWife810 on Garmin Connect and my name is Lindsay Foster. Happy exercising!
  • FromHereOnOut
    When I do a cardiovascular activity, such as walk, the vivofit isn't picking up on it and adding it to my activities. It's supposed to start recording an activity after ten minutes of consecutive activity.

I think this only happens when ur wearing the heartstrap and set the VF band to the heart setting, then it begins it almost immediately. If there is another way, I haven't yet tried it and would love to know.
  • zaxxmom
    zaxxmom Posts: 1
    I have worn my FitBit Flex and VivoFit together for about a month now, they seem to be quite similar in what they record.
    I do prefer the graph of 'how well I slept' on the FitBit app a bit better, but I prefer the VivoFit for the majority.

One thing I do wish that VivoFit would add, that my FitBit is mostly worn for these days, is the silent alarm. I can set many alarms (currently have 4) for different times during the day. I used it yesterday as a FP+ (Disney) alarm when our fast pass times were ready. I just like that feature.
  • hmt7997
    hmt7997 Posts: 2 Member
    I just got my vivofit yesterday and so far I love it except I'm a little confused (forgive me if this is repetitive question). How do I determine my cals burned that is over what I'm allotted on MFP?
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    When I do a cardiovascular activity, such as walk, the vivofit isn't picking up on it and adding it to my activities. It's supposed to start recording an activity after ten minutes of consecutive activity.

I think this only happens when ur wearing the heartstrap and set the VF band to the heart setting, then it begins it almost immediately. If there is another way, I haven't yet tried it and would love to know.

This feature—Auto Activity Detection— was just activated in Garmin Connect two days ago even though the switch has been on the site since early March. First of all, you have to turn it on and then sync your band. Second, it won't record pure walking. You have to run constantly or do run/walk intervals that are mostly running. There is a minimum activity length to get it to save an activity. The site says 15 minutes. A Garmin support person said 20. I ran 11, stopped 4, ran 16, stopped 4, ran 21 and then started a series of 2 minute intervals where I gradually escalated the walking part. The first time I walked for a full minute, it stopped the activity. I got a 63 minute activity recorded with no HRM. There is a blow by blow here: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?79429-Auto-Activity-Detection/page4. Apparently the 4 minute stops did not end the activity because Garmin wanted to allow for stops for traffic.
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    I just got my vivofit yesterday and so far I love it except I'm a little confused (forgive me if this is repetitive question). How do I determine my cals burned that is over what I'm allotted on MFP?

hmf7997, your question is a little unclear but let me give it a shot. MFP is optimized for recording what you eat. The Vivofit and Garmin Connect are optimized for recording what you burn. Once you have linked the two together you can look either place to see how you are doing on balance. MFP tells Garmin what you ate and Garmin tells MFP what you expended. I recommend that you tell MFP that you are sedentary whether you are or not. There is no use having MFP trying to estimate a caloric expenditure that Vivofit is fairly accurately measuring.
  • I bought one, I don't like it and I want my money back. First it would not Bluetooth connect with either of my devices, finally got it to sync with my computer. It does not accurately record steps. It seems to get stuck and then suddenly count 30 - 40 steps rapidly then nothing for the next 10 steps the rapid catch up again.

I was tossing up between a Vivofit and a Fitbit. I wish I had bought the Fitbit.

So here is my question. I intend to take it back but how do I reset it to zero? So my information is not synced to it anymore?
  • I just bought the Vivofit at Costco yesterday, just to check it out. I'm taking it back.

The main reason is that it's basically just a glorified pedometer. I don't need to spend $150 on a step counter. It does other stuff, but basically, I find it overwhelming at this stage of my game. I'm just starting my transformation (a week in) and I'm finding it enough of a challenge just counting calories and trying to exercise more. I know myself well enough to know that if I go overboard, too much too fast, I'll get overwhelmed and quit. Baby steps.

I don't like the "inactivity monitor." I understand the idea behind it and I know it's good to move around more, but I guess I'm rebellious against a machine telling me what to do and when to do it. Using my phone calendar to tell myself when to do stuff is bad enough, I don't want some AI being in charge of my schedule.

I had no problem connecting it straight away to my phone (Nexus 5) and using the software, but then I was unable to delete the device from the app when I decided I wanted to return it. I also wasn't able to connect it to my husband's phone after that. So it seems that once you buy it, it's "yours" for life, you can't sell it, and no one else can buy it after it's returned. So that's wasteful.

I run Linux at home and there's no support for that, so it would be phone only. If it's anything like MFP, the app is good for when you're on the move, but lacks features that the full software package would have. Just assumption on my part.

Bottom line, I find it's overpriced for what it does. I also found it to be inaccurate. It counted 84 steps before I even got out of bed this morning, and that I'd burned 894 calories between going to bed and making my morning coffee. That's over half my calculated BMR from 8 hours of sleeping? I don't think so.

ETA: I also think it's obscene that after spending $150 on a device, Garmin wants to nickel-and-dime me for functionality beyond the basic Connect app. I just dropped a lot of cash for a glorified pedometer, and still you want more?
  • I am very satisfied with my Vivofit. The need to recharge every few days and no way to tell time were my reasons for moving from Fitbit. Now I find that I use all the Vivo's features. I like the big numbers, knowing the exact number of steps I've taken (instead of having to guess from the number of lights, the number of steps left to goal, the number of calories I've burned. I also like the SYNC and SLEEP settings with the button. I like the sturdiness of the wrist band, but on my small wrist, it looks a bit clunky. I do have a gripe about the daily report -- it's definitely not as easy to use as the Fitbit's.
  • I have owned both a Fitbit Force (that was recalled) and a Vivofit. If I had to do it over again I would have bought another Fitbit.

Why?

Garmin's software is terrible. When I first got my Vivofit I could sync it with my phone after an update I could no longer sync from my phone just my PC. Garmin took over a month to fix it.

Most of my friends own Fitbits. Since Garmin's software does not allow you to sync your steps with other apps, you lose out competing with you friends on steps.

It is a shame that the software is so bad because I really like the device.
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    I love the HRM feature for Vivofit. It's very handy being able to glance at my wrist to see my heart rate zone when I'm doing cardio or lifting. I wish the band had a stop watch or at least displayed seconds on the watch display so I could use it to time my rest periods.

I see that Garmin Connect integrates with Apple's HealthKit now. It can read and write active calories, steps, and walking + running distance. MFP also integrates with HealthKit but doesn't use read or write any of these specific attributes. App support for HealthKit is limited but I'm hopeful that as more apps support more attributes, the sync'ing problems can be resolved.
  • FromHereOnOut
    I wish the band had a stop watch or at least displayed seconds on the watch display so I could use it to time my rest periods.

sooooooo this!!!

I wish I could button scroll to a timer when in heart mode to see how long a run has been, and I WISH I could see seconds to time 60 second rests between sets. I hate craning my neck trying to squint to see one of the gym clocks b/c half the time I can't see it or somebody gets in the way and thinks I'm checking them out. Lol. When I switched from my watch to this, I thought I'd miss my watch's light, but it's actually the seconds/timer that I miss the most. Otherwise I love my Vivofit.
  • dlveck
    dlveck Posts: 51 Member
    Bump
  • tigagreen
    tigagreen Posts: 1 Member
    Just got a Vivofit w/HRM last weekend. Love it so far... Can't compare as this is my first Activity Monitor. Its taken a few days to figure out the integration between MFP and Garmin Connect, but it gives me the Info I can use to monitor calories in and out.

Anybody know of other apps that work with the Vivofit? Just wondering if anything has been developed to compete with Garmin Connect?
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    I just bought the vivofit yesterday. I don't use the HRM, as I don't feel I would use it much. But so far, I really like it. I couldn't connect using the mobile app this morning couldn't find the device =( so using my laptop.
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Not for anyone in particular but I have been using the Vivofit for 8 days now & one quirk I can't figure out is why the estimate the app gives for daily BMR calories varies so much. What little I know about BMR leads me to believe it is a factor determined by height, weight, age & gender so on a daily basis I thought it would be more consistent. I am seeing daily differences of around 17% in the BMR calorie estimate which has me stumped?
  • Hi andrewjuu, What number are you looking at? Is it called "BMR" and are you viewing it through MFP or Garmin Connect app? The number in MFP is not the BMR, it's your TDEE Estimation, which would vary depending upon how active you are on a given day.