"Healthy" Foods You Wished You Liked But Don't

Options

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i second that!
    Second for Kale. It tastes like poisonous lettuce.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    salad
  • slywon
    slywon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    1) Avocado
    2) Salmon
    3) Hummus

Any suggestions on how to make them more appetizing in a healthy way would be much appreciated!:wink:
  • popupvideo
    popupvideo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Second for Kale. It tastes like poisonous lettuce.
    Lol. Kale is really gross raw. You might like it better if it's cooked, sautéed, in olive oil or another oil with a vegetable you like. It's also good cooked in the oven like your very own kale chip, but they don't get as crunchy as the ones in stores. Kale is high in vitamins and one of the better greens, otherwise I think it is semi-overrated.
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Un mixed eggs!!

I can't eat eggs unless they are scrambled up (omelettes, quiche etc) the thought of eating egg white makes me gag!!
    I like the idea of having hard boiled eggs sitting in the fridge as a good protein laden snack but ick!!
  • markrichtsspraytan
    Options
    Nuts. Hate every kind except pistachios, but I don't like those enough to ever buy them. I like peanuts, but those are legumes.

To me, nuts are like grass. Yeah, technically you can eat it, but why would you?! I think they're nasty. Disliking them helps me avoid a lot of desserts though.
  • popupvideo
    popupvideo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    [duplicate post]
  • BlueLadyBug22
    BlueLadyBug22 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese (That stuff is NASTY)
    Grapefruit
    Spinach (cooked, I like raw spinach in salads and on sandwiches)
  • ihadabadidea
    ihadabadidea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts - I have tried to like them for 50 years. Still have to hold my nose when I eat my token 2 at Christmas. Love all other veggies though.

That's actually a genetic issue: some people have taste receptors for a chemical in Brussel sprouts and some don't. If you do, they taste really bitter. Before I found this out, I was confused as to why they always tasted freezer-burnt to me no matter how I prepared them. The same goes for cilantro tasting soapy to some people.
  • BlueLadyBug22
    Options
    Oh yes, I second brussel sprouts! Blech! I actually liked them growing up, now I HATE them.
  • valnstan
    valnstan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese and Grapefruit,
  • BlueLadyBug22
    Options
    Brussel sprouts - I have tried to like them for 50 years. Still have to hold my nose when I eat my token 2 at Christmas. Love all other veggies though.

That's actually a genetic issue: some people have taste receptors for a chemical in Brussel sprouts and some don't. If you do, they taste really bitter. Before I found this out, I was confused as to why they always tasted freezer-burnt to me no matter how I prepared them. The same goes for cilantro tasting soapy to some people.

This is very interesting to me! This is exactly why I don't like them anymore. They taste very bitter to me now, I use to love them growing up.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts.

A vile, vile weed.

A pox on Belgium.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love all those so called yucky foods: Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, beets, avocados, squash, fish, squid, liver, beef tongue, liverwurst, hummus, hominy, cottage cheese, Roquefort, Stilton, Gorgonzola, kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchee...
    I eat everything.

everything except asparagus. I'll actually eat asparagus to be polite, but eww.
  • mefitforlife9
    mefitforlife9 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    beans of any kind = only ones I will eat are baked in a really really really sweet sauce -- and then I try and swallow them whole. Peas are about the same, although they are tolerable if frozen,well, heated up of course, you know what I mean... just worked out and have the after workout high right now... wheeee
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I got nothing. And I tried...
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit.

I know it's *supposed* to be a super fat blaster and all, but I just cannot stomach it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I love all those so called yucky foods: Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, beets, avocados, squash, fish, squid, liver, beef tongue, liverwurst, hummus, hominy, cottage cheese, Roquefort, Stilton, Gorgonzola, kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchee...
    I eat everything.

everything except asparagus. I'll actually eat asparagus to be polite, but eww.

Up 'til this post I liked just about every single food named so far in this thread. But NO WAY would I be able to even bring myself to try & eat liver, beef tongue, or liverwurst. Same goes for game meats like venison, rabbit, squirrel... I am not a vegetarian but there are many meats I will not eat, including anything on the bone (even ribs & fried chicken although I suppose that doesn't count as "healthy food" anyway).

Oh yeah...I refuse to eat ground turkey. NEVER again. I haven't had it since a fateful night in 1997 when my ex boyfriend's mom threw it in some spaghetti without my knowledge but WTF. Nope nope nope.

Brussels sprouts to me are just meh...I don't hate them, but I could never eat them again and be fine with it.

I wish I liked oil & vinegar, or balsamic vinegar dressings. I just don't. Eww. I read on the forums about people making a snack of sliced cucumber with vinegar and salt and that sounds awesome in theory -- but I know I would not like it in reality.

Also not a big fan of raw tomatoes, although I'm coming around. If they're heated in a dish, I can handle it and if they're chopped up tiny (like in pico de gallo) I like them, but a big thick slice of farm fresh tomato with the seeds and goo on top of a sandwich...NO
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Any kind of seafood.
    Cottage Cheese.
    Greek Yogurt.
    Brussels Sprouts.
    Cauliflower.
    Kale.
    Seaweed.
    Cantelope & Honeydew Melons.
    Squash.

I *will* eat asparagus & artichokes, but I'm kinda iffy with them. I still don't know if I like them.

There are a lot of foods I don't like but these are the "healthy" ones I could think of off the top of my head.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Any kind of seafood.
    Cottage Cheese.
    Greek Yogurt.
    Brussels Sprouts.
    Cauliflower.
    Kale.
    Seaweed.
    Cantelope & Honeydew Melons.
    Squash.

I *will* eat asparagus & artichokes, but I'm kinda iffy with them. I still don't know if I like them.

There are a lot of foods I don't like but these are the "healthy" ones I could think of off the top of my head.

I pretty much like all of those...but with cantaloupe, honeydew, squash, and quite a few other similar melons and squash varieties, if I get a bad one with mushy texture it will put me off them for months. So I get that.