"Healthy" Foods You Wished You Liked But Don't

Options

Replies

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all those that responded. Some of the posts were quite entertaining. I can truly appreciate those that eat just about anything, and I'm glad that I'm not alone with being a little particular about what I eat.

Wishing you all well in your health journeys, and in the words of someone profound, "The greatest wealth is Health."
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't understand the mentality of wishing to like something you don't like...I don't see the point...the nutrients in X that you (Royal) don't like can generally be had with Y which you do like. It's like wishing I liked running (which I hate) even though I love cycling and get a perfectly good workout from riding...it would be pointless for me to run or waste time wishing I liked running.

There is a downside to this argument. If you really dislike many foods, you won't be able to get the nutrients from the few things you do like. It's somewhat extreme, but I can imagine it happening. Plus you might miss out on perfectly fine foods and great tastes because you're just picky.

My personal approach to foods I don't like is that either they are not cooked/prepared properly or my taste buds have not "developed" enough to appreciate them. I put develop in quotes, because it's often mental (a 'yuk' feeling) or going beyond a strong taste or consistency (e.g. bitterness in grapefuit or creaminess of avocado) to be able to appreciate them.

When I was a kid I did not like many foods but the older I get the more foods I start to appreciate. Beets, eggs, spinach, roquefort, fish are some, among others. Now I eat all of them and I enjoy them very much. There are still foods I haven't conquered yet like liver and all sorts of intestines and organs, but I still hope one day that will happen too. Just keep exposing yourselves to tastes you are not used to.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Avocado and mushrooms.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Avocado.

I really wish I liked it. I really do. I just... the texture, man. The texture. I just can't.

And fish. I liked it early in my recovery. But that was because my body was like... I needs the proteins. ALL THE MEATS! Fish? YES FISH, TOO! My natural setting for fish is blech. I always hear that it has this health benefit, and that health benefit. And I've been told time and again I should include it in my diet more. But I just can't. Unless canned tuna counts.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't understand the mentality of wishing to like something you don't like...I don't see the point...the nutrients in X that you (Royal) don't like can generally be had with Y which you do like. It's like wishing I liked running (which I hate) even though I love cycling and get a perfectly good workout from riding...it would be pointless for me to run or waste time wishing I liked running.

There is a downside to this argument. If you really dislike many foods, you won't be able to get the nutrients from the few things you do like. It's somewhat extreme, but I can imagine it happening. Plus you might miss out on perfectly fine foods and great tastes because you're just picky.

Exactly.

I don't like meat. I really don't. It's not just fish. I don't like pork. I don't like bacon. I don't like ham, or turkey (unless it's bacon flavored or hot dog flavored), or most chicken.

But obviously protein is a necessity.

There are other options, but I find even those don't often get me where I need to be with my b vitamins and protein. I struggle with both. A day where I have high protein intake is a good one.
  • meganlea2431
    meganlea2431 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fish. It's so good for you and healthy but I just cannot get past the smell and taste. Lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Fresh Fruit! I just don't do fresh fruit. It's almost a phobia, I won't eat anything that has touched fresh fruit. Weirdly, I'll eat some dried fruit, and some fruit cooked into things. But fresh fruit turns my stomach.

Also on my "no" list: Avocado, offal, onions, raw tomato and yogurt (sweet, anyway - I don't mind the unsweetened stuff as a dressing or a side - won't eat it out of the tub, though)
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Raw onions.
    Spaghetti squash.
    Summer squash (except for zucchini bread/muffins!)

The idea of zoodles - ugh!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Peas and carrots...I can sort of handle very small pieces of carrot in a soup, but other than that I want nothing to do with them. And I won't eat peas in any form, and will refuse something if they have them in there.

I also hate pears and bananas and plums, and I can only eat grapes if they're super super fresh. Raisins are the devil's pet rabbit's turds, and if a grape even has a hint of raisinness to it, I want no part whatsoever.

And brown rice. And I can only eat yogurt if it has fruit and/or granola mixed in (it's a texture thing, flavor is fine). Other than that, can't think of anything.
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    celery... couldn't stomach them...
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal! Oatmeal! Eggs! Any sort of squishy breakfast food >.< I just can't eat because of the texture. Which means I'm missing out on some really low-cal breakfast ideas.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    any fish
    leafy greens

I wish I disliked sweet things
  • Venobambino
    Venobambino Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds. Hurl!!!

Forgot to mention cilantro and olives. Gagging just thinking about it.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Most fruit I don't really care for. Too sweet and coats my teeth, I hate that. I like cucumbers and tomato's a lot, though. But I'm just not big on sugar (well, sugar that's not coupled with fat and/or starch, that is), especially fruity flavored sugar.

I also don't like chicken unless it's been so heavily processed it no longer resembles or tastes much like chicken (e.g. the McNugget).

I like seafood a lot, but I struggle with fish.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms
    Cottage cheese
    Grapefruit
    Anchovies
    Feta cheese
    Mustard
  • rebolaugh
    rebolaugh Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ginger (tastes like soap to me)
    tea (reminds me of being sick since that's the only time I drink it)
    watermelon if it is at all too mushy or overripe
    tuna fish (I like raw tuna ie. sashimi though)
    cottage cheese

But I think I like all vegetables, including the ones mentioned here (kale, avocado (yes, I know that is really a fruit), brussels sprouts, asparagus, artichokes, cauliflower). As long as they're prepared properly, i.e. in a way that I like!
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't like typical lettuce and tomato salads at all. I don't like lettuce, I don't like raw tomatoes and I don't like most salad dressings.
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Tilapia - no matter how you cook it smells and tastes like raw fish!! ????
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Any type of squash.

Cooked carrots.

It's ALL about the texture.

Mushy or gritty I cannot do. :)

Now sweet potatoes or yams, if I roast them I will eat them.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal! Oatmeal! Eggs! Any sort of squishy breakfast food >.< I just can't eat because of the texture. Which means I'm missing out on some really low-cal breakfast ideas.

OATMEAL!! Have tried all my life to like it, but it looks like someone got sick at the breakfast table.(sorry - but that's what always comes to mind!) So gross! Can't be in the same room with egg salad - can't watch someone eat it, either! "Slimy" foods like avocado, okra, mango. Beets make the list, along with cottage cheese and cream cheese (unless it's in a cheescake, then YUM!:bigsmile: )