"Healthy" Foods You Wished You Liked But Don't

Options

Replies

• babbyb1
    babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have found with me that it's not so much the food, but it's how it's prepared for many:

Oatmeal (unless it's in oatmeal cookies or granola)
    Carrots (cooked, but I'll eat raw)
    Lima beans (blech)
    Peas (unless I grew them)
    ANY CANNED VEGETABLE
    Spinach (cooked, I'll eat raw)
    Broccoli (raw, I'll eat cooked)
    Squash (I'll eat zucchini, but gag at spaghetti squash, acorn squash)
    Sweet potato (like it baked as french fries, but FORGET it as a Thanksgiving side)
    Bananas (good in banana bread or in a smoothie, but not by themselves)
    watermelon (seedless is fine)
    grapes (green is fine, red is not)

Now to the foods I won't touch:

Mango
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt (it may be healthy, but BLECH, BLECH, AND HURL)
    Brazil nuts
    cantaloupe
    honeydew
    fennel (gross - I HATE black licorice)
    artichoke
    figs
    okra
    plums in any form
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Amusing thread. I used to think of myself as a very picky eater, leafing through this thread makes me feel more omnivore-ish;) I enjoy most meats and seafood, vegs, fruit and spices. When I grew up, we had to try things at least once. My dad even took me to try oysters at age 14...

I do think that cooking method and presentation is crucial in order to change what one likes. I mean, come on, overcooked, mushy vegs look like old babyfood. Sharing flat with a vegetarian once opened my eyes to how just slicing vegs on the bias, makes everything prettier. Food made with love always tastes better:)

Some things I still really can't muster:

- any raw dairy, except yoghurt: I gag just thinking about raw butter
    - porridge: texture
    - cottage cheese: texture
    - cilantro: it's so dominating it takes over all other ingredients
    - couscous: feels like eating edible styrofoam
    - mayonnaise/aioli: too fatty
    - intestines: not very fond, need lots of onion and bacon to distract
    - swedish traditional surströmning: only way you can eat this vile rotten fish is to down it with lots of onion, potato and vodka.

I agree with above posters that food dislikes can be very limiting. It can be embarassing and I certainly feel I'm missing out on some stuff like parmesan and blue cheezes.

When I was a kid I did not like many foods but the older I get the more foods I start to appreciate. Beets, eggs, spinach, roquefort, fish are some, among others. (...). Just keep exposing yourselves to tastes you are not used to.
    Turning things around. The thread got me thinking about all the foods I used to hate, but that I now love:

- spinach
    - beets
    - brüssel sprouts
    - mushrooms
    - peas
    - avocado
  • emmabanks87
    emmabanks87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not a Food I know but green Tea or any kind of tea. Really wished I liked it as I know especially green tea is very good for you. tried it but cant stand the taste!!! :(
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Fruit
    Yoghurt
  • jenversuslife
    jenversuslife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese
    Cauliflower (along with brussel sprouts these are the only 2 vegetables I don't eat)
    Milk
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt!
  • jimmyalice1984
    jimmyalice1984 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Porridge, cous cous and cottage cheese. Blaagghhh!!!! But wish I loved them......
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    porridge!
    I think the idea is awesome and I don't mind oats as such I just can't handle the consistencey! And it really annoys me! Cause I should like it! It only got ingredients in that I like! But it's so damn bleurgh...
  • EmmaFenwick
    Options
    Avocado
    Kale
    Salmon
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese and celery.....yuck!! Have tried many times over the years and resigned myself to the fact I will never eat them
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Most vegetables other than brussel sprouts, cabbage, raw carrot and tomatoes. I also cannot stand the taste of nuts, any nut, from almonds to coconut. I sort of balance it out by not being keen on pizza or pasta or any cheese other than cheddar, right? :laugh:
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    1. Lima beans
    2. Turnips
    3. Rudabega/Cauliflower

The last two are served often by my family, and they are both gross, but Rudabega is the WORST! Even with tons of butter and salt, it has a very strong bitter taste and lingering aftertaste. My mother does have a cauliflower recipe that covers it in mustard/mayo and cheddar cheese and it makes it barely tolerable. Turnips and lima beans cannot be made tolerable in ANY way. :sick:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Bananas and fish. No matter what, I can't get over both the taste and texture of bananas and I also just cannot eat fish, no matter what kind or how it is prepared. I do like crustacians like shrimp, lobster, and crab but also don't like clams, mussels, etc.
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    porridge!
    I think the idea is awesome and I don't mind oats as such I just can't handle the consistencey! And it really annoys me! Cause I should like it! It only got ingredients in that I like! But it's so damn bleurgh...
    Oh me too!!! I wish I could eat it but it is just a bowl of gluey gloop! And I tried a nice favoured one a few years ago as a last resort (grocery day, newborn twins......NO other breakfasty type food in the house)....nope can't do it!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Most fish - it's just too fishy (I can handle the mild varieties)
    Sweet potatoes - hate the texture and the flavor
    Greek yogurt - lots of protein but yuck - why so popular?
    Fermented foods - just gross
  • rideontechnology
    rideontechnology Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yogurt
    Oatmeal
    Kale

I want to like Kale so badly, though.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I saw your post peripherally and for a split second I thought you wrote 'frisbee lettuce'. I am chuckling like an idiot because I thought any food you don't like could be called frisbee tuna, or frisbee hummus... any food you would rather throw than have to eat...

hahahahahaha

Now you have me chuckling like an idiot, too! I'm picturing a giant "food fight" with people slinging things they hate! Reading through the thread, I think "frisbee kale" takes the number one spot!! There is just NO WAY to make it taste good! Anybody mention seaweed? Tried a seaweed "snack":noway: at Trader Joe's - kind of like getting taken out by a wave at the beach and having a mouth full of ocean!! Bleh!
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian who has enough trouble getting protein, I REALLY wish I liked eggs, but I can't stand them in any form. Adding eggs to just about anything is such an easy way to get extra protein without a lot of extra calories, but I can't stomach the taste, smell, or the fact that it is an egg. Yuck!

I'm a vegan. DO NOT STRESS ABOUT "PROTEIN"!!!! There is protein in everything and you only way you will become protein deficient is if you do not eat ANYTHING! lol, even white rice has a lot of protein and too much protein in the body can be very acidic. A healthy amount of protein in the body is to achieve 5% of your daily calories from it.

Best of luck and stop with the chicken periods ;)
    ~Becky

This is absolutely horrible advice. Please do not listen to this nonsense.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    Yoghurt

All taste awful to me,..... but i wish i liked them! :grumble:
  • Witchykaite
    Witchykaite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt
    Cottage Cheese
    Oatmeal(thought I would try it again figuring maybe my tastes had matured. Yup still no go)
    Fish (but give me shrimp crab or lobster and I am there)