Any flexitarians? How do you explain your diet to others?

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    When I order something vegetarian or suggest a vegetarian restaurant, and am asked if I am vegetarian, I say "No, but I'm not an obligate carnivore either."

I'm not flexitarian either. I just eat food.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    For about 6 months, I've been eating primarily vegetarian, but haven't entirely given up meat, and don't intend to. I eat meat maybe 2-3 meals a week or so, usually on the weekends, usually at restaurants or take-out. I don't cook with meat at home. I hear folks like me are called 'flexitarians'.

Actually there's been a word for "folks like [you]" for a very, very, very long time. That word is "omnivore." It's what human beings are.

There's no need to go around making up new words to fit the latest food fashion trend. If you eat both meat and vegetables, then you're an omnivore. It's not complicated.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Clearly, the solution is that people should be able to eat whatever they want and not have to defend it, but that's not the reality. So my question for other flexitarians out there.. how do you identify yourself to others? How do you answer that question "are you a vegetarian?"

IMO, you defend it because (probably sub-conciously) you think you need to defend it. If you say you believe people should be able to eat whatever they want and not have to defend it, then don't. If you are asked, "Are you a vegetarian?" simply say... no.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Actually there's been a word for "folks like [you]" for a very, very, very long time. That word is "omnivore." It's what human beings are.

There's no need to go around making up new words to fit the latest food fashion trend. If you eat both meat and vegetables, then you're an omnivore. It's not complicated.

+1
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I agree with ontheground. I am Gluten free and get really tired of people asking if I do it as a "fad". It really is no ones business why or how you choose your foods.

I have to wonder how people know you are gluten free unless you bring it up?

If you are really tired of people asking you if you do it as a fad why tell them you are gluten free in the first place?
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who is Jewish and eats Kosher. She was the opposite.... would eat meat at home if she prepared it herself, but in all other arenas, she would eat vegetarian only, and would usually just tell people, "yes, I'm a vegetarian" because it is easier than explaining all the details.
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    “I just don’t eat a lot of meat.”
    That sums it up for me.

Are you a vegetarian?
    No, I just don’t eat a lot of meat.

So you do eat meat?
    Yes, but not a lot.

So why did you request a vegetarian meal?
    Because I don’t eat a lot of meat.

But you’re not vegetarian?
    No. I just don’t eat a lot of meat.

Haha very much ^this^
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    LOOK AT ME PLEASE
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I agree with ontheground. I am Gluten free and get really tired of people asking if I do it as a "fad". It really is no ones business why or how you choose your foods.

I have to wonder how people know you are gluten free unless you bring it up?

If you are really tired of people asking you if you do it as a fad why tell them you are gluten free in the first place?

Because if you really do have celiac disease, gluten will put you in the hospital and it's in EVERYTHING.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Flexitarian, "part time vegetarian", just as silly as "a little bit pregnant".

I eat meat, but not all the time. I don't eat all the time, either, when I think about it...
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    In the rare instances when people ask, I just say "no."

Me: <gets vegetarian option>
    Friend: "Oh, are you a vegetarian?"
    Me: "No, it just looked good."

I used to get the vegetarian option on planes (when they actually served meals) because it was generally tastier. I still do sometimes on International flights.

ETA: Sometimes people I've recently met will ask so they won't give me meat, other times I suspect it is idle curiosity. I've never had anyone badger me about it or ask for more of an explanation.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I never thought about a label before. My husband and I don't eat a lot of meat, we use beans and nuts for protein mainly. That is not say that we don't occasionally eat a hot dog or burger, or ground turkey or something. We just choose to not eat a lot of meat. We both come from families that eat lots of meat ("it is not a meal unless there is meat."), and we choose to think differently. I have never had to defend our choices to anyone (other than my MIL at first).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I used to get the vegetarian option on planes (when they actually served meals) because it was generally tastier. I still do sometimes on International flights.

ETA: Sometimes people I've recently met will ask so they won't give me meat, other times I suspect it is idle curiosity. I've never had anyone badger me about it or ask for more of an explanation.

why does this question not get asked when you order a purely pasta based dish? it's not even a "vegetarian" label- it's just pasta... why does no one flip *kitten* on that??

I don't get people. Just eat what you like. period.
  • likitisplit
    Options

why does this question not get asked when you order a purely pasta based dish? it's not even a "vegetarian" label- it's just pasta... why does no one flip *kitten* on that??

I don't get people. Just eat what you like. period.

And what about chocolate cake? No bacon in that and yet everybody considers it *completely normal*
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Flexitarian, "part time vegetarian", just as silly as "a little bit pregnant".

I eat meat, but not all the time. I don't eat all the time, either, when I think about it...

flexi-omnivorian?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Interesting responses so far. Thanks for your input all! Ultimately it's my choice how I label myself, but you can see from the varied responses why I want to be careful about how I answer this question.. I want to try to offend as few people as possible on all sides!

If someone asks, just answer "no". If they ask you why you ordered a vegetarian or vegan dish if you are not, just say "because it looks good". If they don't ask, keep it to yourself. I really don't understand why people feel it is necessary to explain why they are eating what they have in front of them all of the time or why they feel the need to label themselves. Can't we just keep our food choices to ourselves. Yes, if it is part of a larger discussion, go ahead and tell them that you tend to not eat meat all that often but otherwise just keep it to yourself.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm pescatarian (only fish) now, but I used to be flex.To keep it simple I pretty much just tell everyone that I don't eat meat. Once you get into the flex part it becomes a big to-do haha
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    How about, "The vegetarian dish sounded good to me, today" and leave it at that?

This
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Interesting responses so far. Thanks for your input all! Ultimately it's my choice how I label myself, but you can see from the varied responses why I want to be careful about how I answer this question.. I want to try to offend as few people as possible on all sides!

Actually, I don't see why you want to be careful. There's not that much variation. 90% of the answers are saying that you should just say "No, I ordered this because I wanted to."

It doesn't look like anybody's offended. Just annoyed at a new term that appears to be meaningless.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    there is a family member who is vegetarian, one christmas she mentioned she was vegetarian and this other family member jumped on her and hounded her all night calling her unnatural and crazy and why why why and seriously all night. (actually he friended me on here and i denied it for that reason, even though he is family, i dont need food shamers thanks) on the other hand i had a facebook friend who went vegetarian and then started daily posting things that talked about the evils of eating meat, and how horrible and stupid people were for doing it and arguing with her friends about it... i ended up deleting her from my life for it. shaming in either direction is just not acceptable to me.

i am not vegetarian but like you i dont eat meat as my main source of food, most of the time i am ok with bread veggies and dairy and then i get that deep hunger and have a steak or turkey sandwich or whatever. but honestly i will never tell anyone why i do or dont eat meat, i just say "i dont eat a lot of meat" and leave it at that. it is a personal choice. that means my business.

i dont really call myself anything anyway though. i just dont like meat as much as i like other things. dont see why it has to be a term. but it does raise questions with people sometimes.