October Cycling Thread 2014

Options
October is here!

Welcome to our cycling thread. This is a thread for anyone who pushes a bike pedal. There are no rules or specific requirements (other than kindness). If you cycle, we want you! This thread is open to anyone and everyone. If you ride 100 miles a week, Welcome! If you go to spin class, Welcome! If you commute, Fantastic! If you're lugging a trailer to the park, Good for You and Welcome! If you keep passing the bikes at Wal-Mart and wonder whether you'd be able to make it down your driveway, I've been there.

There is no group to join or format to follow. Just post whatever will make you want to post. Some people keep a running total. Some people use tickers. Some people (me) post the # of crashes and the degree of bum soreness. Whatever will motivate you is what you should post.

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Dropping my goal down to 300 miles this month. Got through 450 in September, but way too much running & swimming planned for the month otherwise, and I'll be away from my fast road bike for most of the month.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be optimistic and aim for 400. 4 work weeks, 30 mile commute, potential for 150 miles a week, plus a few extra on the weekend. Realistically, aiming for 3 30 mile commutes, plus 10 on the weekend should put me at 400. It all depends on the weather though. We had a gorgeous September, and I'm hoping that we can avoid snow until November *fingers crossed*
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    After missing most of last month due to being sick for 2 weeks and over working I am back for a few weeks of fall riding.

My monthly goal is also my yearly goal which is to bike 2,000 miles and climb 100,000 feet - I will start the month at 1,860miles and 94,167' which leaves me with 140 miles and 5,833 feet of climbing.

Unfortunately it now gets dark so early in the evening that I can only do weekend rides. This weekend the high temperatures are going to be mid 60's so I likely only have 3 weekends left before the end of my season.

I'm a few weeks late but I would like to add to last month's conversation about what to do when dogs come chasing after you - I spray them in the face with my water bottle (it is handy and quick to get out) which slows them down a bit and peddle like mad.
  • Tetesandra
    Tetesandra Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I am in for 50 mile this month. Hoping to do more but just starting back at the gym.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    In. Trying for 700 this month.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Will be cutting back to around half my usual miles as I start to do some running, so I'll shoot for 600 miles in Oct.
  • skaplan50
    skaplan50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site (again - I originally joined in 2011) and fairly new to cycling. Right now, most of my miles come from using an elliptical bike at my gym. I'm going to shoot for 160 miles this month.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new. The hubby and I bought bikes July 5th and started riding. It was embarrassing how slow and out of breath we were. But we kept going. Last month I rode around 65 miles. Mostly in 3.5 mile rides with my 6 year old on her bike and carrying my 2 year old on mine. Occasionally the hubby and I work it out so each of us has a chance for a longer ride without the kids. Loving riding my bike!

For October I'm not sure what my goal should be. With it getting darker earlier it's making riding more difficult to fit in with homework, dinner and everything. I think I'll am for 70 miles.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I am iin again. Finally it is cooler in the desert and I hope that this month I will be able to work on my speed. I have no problem with distance. So I am setting my goal this month to improve my average speed, which is only at 13.5 miles per hour at the moment.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    In.

Shoot for 150 mi.
  • OldDogSparky
    Options
    I'm in. Goal 400 miles. MTD: 24 miles.
  • goiahawks
    Options
    I started 2013 running. Then I decided one day to sign up for a sprint triathlon and needed a bike. So I bought a used Trek mountain bike from a co-worker. I swore to my wife at that point I wasn't going to get into biking and this would not become an "expensive obsession". And then I realized that riding brought me more peace, more fitness, and less injury than running ever had. So then I broke my promise and bought a Jamis Satellite Comp (steel road bike). And now I am looking at moving up to a carbon fiber Trek, Scott, or Felt. Needless to say - I love biking! Glad I found this topic. With fall coming in I am committing to 300 miles this month.
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like this thread! I would like to hit 250-300 for the month.
    The mornings are getting colder here so I ordered biking gear to help me stay warm during them. After it arrives I plan to continue my commutes to work.
    Until then it is only after work riding for me.
  • attybell
    attybell Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    ok folks im in!!!! I just started riding 2wks ago... im shooting for 100 miles this month ... lol not sure what I just got myself into
  • beckieobeckie
    Options
    Hi folks! I've been on MFP for a while but I've never used the forums before. Last summer I got in lots of miles but this summer has been difficult. So I'm going to see what I can crank out this early fall. I'm hoping to get in at least 100 this month.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I started 2013 running. Then I decided one day to sign up for a sprint triathlon and needed a bike. So I bought a used Trek mountain bike from a co-worker. I swore to my wife at that point I wasn't going to get into biking and this would not become an "expensive obsession". And then I realized that riding brought me more peace, more fitness, and less injury than running ever had. So then I broke my promise and bought a Jamis Satellite Comp (steel road bike). And now I am looking at moving up to a carbon fiber Trek, Scott, or Felt. Needless to say - I love biking! Glad I found this topic. With fall coming in I am committing to 300 miles this month.

Sounds so familiar. I love biking, but I also would like to participate in a triathlon. Ironman 70.3 is on this weekend, where I live. But I am not good at running and would make a fool of myself trying to. Last month I tried to run a little bit and immediately my knee started hurting, while I can bike hundreds of miles every month without ever hurting.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Of course I am in! :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I dropped my goal from 250 miles to 225 miles in September and that seemed a reasonable goal, but I'm not sure how October will be with weather and (especially) earlier darkness. I'm going to go with 225 for at least one more month, however--I did invest in some lights, so hopefully will be able to continue commuting off and on. Also have a personal goal of at least one ride of 40 and one ride of 50 miles, which will take care of a lot of it should I manage that.
  • Shann_Go
    Shann_Go Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wish I was in. My knee's injured and I haven't been able to do any exercise at all for three weeks. It's finally starting to cool down, too--perfect bike weather. I was hoping to get out to the mountains in Western NC a few times before the fall leaves are all gone. That's looking sort of iffy.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 25.2 miles

Total - 25.2

Goal - 700+

Remaining - 674.8