So my family bought take out...RANT

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    *shrug* Sometimes families do inconsiderate things. Unless this is a constant pattern (in which case I would recommend a differentccourse of action), then it's in your best interest to forgive and move on.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    The problem isn't that they didn't buy me food.

It's the fact that I gave them money, they used it to buy something else than I asked them for. Now I have to spend more money to drive all the way back to find a store that's still open this time of night in this small town, when infact they could have gotten it right the first time.

My sister KNOWS I cook for the week and gave my food to the dog even though he has his own food.

They tell me what I should and shouldn't eat and they want to take my diet into their own hands. It's my problem. Not theirs.

just break up
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I could definitely see why you would be hangry.

If you gave them money and they brought you something other than what you ordered, I would politely ask for your money back.

You don't have much to lose. I can't imagine why your family would treat you in such a way by stating that you can't have food "because it will make you fat."

Do you have some friends that you could split living expenses with? Perhaps, you could just find some better roommates because they sure don't sound much like family.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's it. If you're over 18 get a job and your own place and start taking care of yourself.

She did. She bought it, cooked it and froze it for herself. Then someone in her family decided to feed it to the dog. Obviously if someone else takes your food without permission...your last meal available before being able to go shopping again... it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect that person to replace that meal for the day. If one of my roommates decided to take the last of my chili from the freezer and feed it to their cats when they know full well it's not theirs, nor is it cat food and I had nothing to replace that dinner that I had bought and prepared for myself, i would absolutely expect that they replace what they used. Reading the whole post would be helpful before passing unfair judgement.

Thank you for being reasonable. Quite a few unnecessarily snarky posts here, but yours was very kind. I agree with you.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    If you gave them money, I concede to a point. But still... seriously, it would not have been that hard to replace your frozen meal portion that got fed to the dog.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's it. If you're over 18 get a job and your own place and start taking care of yourself.

^This. I would even say that you don't necessarily have to go get your own place, but you most certainly can take responsibility for your own eating & go get yourself something healthy when something like this happens. Whether it was intentional on your sister's part or a legitimate accident, you caved & ordered ribs AND you got mad at the rest of the family for your doing so. Either way, your food was gone & how YOU respond to it is what's important. You're both mad at your family for "making" you order ribs & chips, yet you got mad when they brought a salad home for you. Maybe be happy that they at least attempted to do something in line with what you're trying to accomplish. If you're way under on your protein, gonna starve to death because you don't feel you had enough to eat or whatever, get up off your butt & go get yourself something that suits your diet......
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Why do you keep your bread in the refrigerator? That’s nasty…
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    If you gave them money, I concede to a point. But still... seriously, it would not have been that hard to replace your frozen meal portion that got fed to the dog.

She kept her cool all the way up until they took her money, told her she was too fat to eat ribs, used her money to buy themselves drinks, and then ate burgers in front of her while all she had was a side salad.

I think the sister just kicked off what ultimately turned into a bad evening.

Honestly, no one has anything to say about her family deciding what's appropriate for her diet? If she weren't ranting about all this other stuff and just posted that, everyone would be consoling her for being a part of an obviously dysfunctional family.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    One thing to possibly think about, OP...

Can you get grants for school? How are your grades? You'd have to do a lot of research but sometimes you can find some great stuff outside of the normal Pell Grant system. Loans suck, trust me I know - I had to use them to pay for school along with my grant and am now paying them off. But to live completely on my own 8 hours away from home was completely worth it.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

^This. I would even say that you don't necessarily have to go get your own place, but you most certainly can take responsibility for your own eating & go get yourself something healthy when something like this happens. Whether it was intentional on your sister's part or a legitimate accident, you caved & ordered ribs AND you got mad at the rest of the family for your doing so. Either way, your food was gone & how YOU respond to it is what's important. You're both mad at your family for "making" you order ribs & chips, yet you got mad when they brought a salad home for you. Maybe be happy that they at least attempted to do something in line with what you're trying to accomplish. If you're way under on your protein, gonna starve to death because you don't feel you had enough to eat or whatever, get up off your butt & go get yourself something that suits your diet......

.....They didn't "make" me order ribs...I WANTED RIBS. I didn't want it because my food was fed to the dog...They were going out to get food...so while they were going, I gave them money to bring me some too.

They bought me a salad home and spent the rest of my money on soda, and their explanation was the fact that they didnt want me to get fat because of the ribs.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Also... I would like to bring attention to OP's ticker. She only has 6 kg to lose. That's like 12 to 15 lbs!!

I mean, she can't possibly be so overweight that her family's treatment of her would be acceptable (not that it should be if she were overweight).

Why so many harsh tones? Why so much lack of "sugar-coating" when the OP could probably use some kindness?

Her family is not terribly kind to her. We are all strangers here, but I feel like a lot of these responses are unwarranted and suspect that there is some lack of reading comprehension afoot.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    So, you can't leave home and go get something to eat? Your post sounds very immature. You are the only person responsible for you.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

.....They didn't "make" me order ribs...I WANTED RIBS. I didn't want it because my food was fed to the dog...They were going out to get food...so while they were going, I gave them money to bring me some too.

They bought me a salad home and spent the rest of my money on soda, and their explanation was the fact that they didnt want me to get fat because of the ribs.

You know what? I'm totally on your side with this.

And I think you should just walk away. There is no way that you are going to convince anybody at this point. Next time, try venting on your own wall, instead of in the open forums. The forums are a good place for lots of opinions, not so much for emotional support.

Just go get yourself something to eat and don't trust your family to support your goals anymore.
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hear toothpaste is low cal.

^^^Now that's funny....

Poor dog is what I say :)
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

This part is confusing me...so you gave them cash to get you food before they left...

but you didn't tell them what you wanted when you forked over the money? You waited until later to text them?

Between this and sister feeding her dog your frozen food (did she just throw a frozen chunk in a bowl or heat it up first? :laugh: ) it sounds to me like this all boils down to communication. Try actually sitting down with your family like an adult and explaining why you're all ranty and maybe come up with some solutions together.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

She did. She bought it, cooked it and froze it for herself. Then someone in her family decided to feed it to the dog. Obviously if someone else takes your food without permission...your last meal available before being able to go shopping again... it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect that person to replace that meal for the day. If one of my roommates decided to take the last of my chili from the freezer and feed it to their cats when they know full well it's not theirs, nor is it cat food and I had nothing to replace that dinner that I had bought and prepared for myself, i would absolutely expect that they replace what they used. Reading the whole post would be helpful before passing unfair judgement.

I'm sorry. I live alone, pay for, and drive to get my own things. I don't understand this "my family gives me a free place to live but sometimes I don't like the food they give me so waaaah my life is unfair and they're trying to starve me."

If you live with your family, this is what happens. That's why she can't raise a stink with them, because they're putting her up on their dime. By 21 years old I had been out of the house for 4 years and was one year away from becoming a parent myself. I don't have sympathy for overgrown children.

Brett, they took her money, spent it on themselves, and told her that she can't have the food that she wants because it will make her fat. She only has 15 pounds to lose!!!!

In what world, does free rent justify blatant disrespect??!?!?
  • Nevergiveup008
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to live for yourself. YOU know what is best for you and what you need to do, so do it. Don't let other people's opoinon about wat you are doing affect you. Here is a list of small snacks that you can keep hidden or even buy them pretty much anywhere if you're on the go:

1. cheese strings
    2. Protein bars
    3. beef jerky (my personal favorite)
    4. tuna
    5. canned meat
    6. pretty much any fruit or veggie you find at a supermarket.
    ....theres much more! Just get focused and have hope!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Take out a loan and move out.
    You're 21.

Then in a few years when she complains that she can't afford certain things because of loan payments MFP will tell her it was stupid to take out a loan.

Oh well.

Student loans to pay for school.
    Job money to pay for housing.
    Thousands do it.

Yes, I am doing that right now. Having loans sucks, though, and presumably OP won't be in school much longer.

I get it.
    I'm 25, had student loans too.
    Completely worth it to not live at home (granted my college was too far for me to live at home but I would've done it at a closer school too)
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Thanks for the support! :) you guys are all heart. :flowerforyou: