Options

Replies

• daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Take out a loan and move out.
    You're 21.

This!

Sure, student loan debt sucks, but you do what you gotta do to survive, & that includes keeping yourself sane & happy. Depending on where you live, you can find a cheap studio or 1 bedroom apartment so you only have to take out the minimum amount of loans to pay your bills and food costs. Believe me when I say it's WORTH IT.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to eat tonight because my sister "accidentally" gave the last portion of my frozen food (that I make the beginning of the week) to the dog, "mistakenly" thinking it was old. My family said they were going to go get take out. So since I don't have something to eat, I placed my order for ribs and chips which they should bring back home to me because I'm staying to finish my laundry.

They didn't respond to my order with an answer and I assumed they were going to bring it...

When they got back here, they all got double beef burgers with chips and milkshakes...and they didn't bring me my ribs...they bought me an appetizer sized salad...a f****** salad the size of my one hand! There's no food in the house because I'm only going shopping for the week tomorrow...The ONLY thing that I can eat in the house is bread and honey and that stupid salad because they hardly ever buy food in advance.

The fridge literally has this in it:

3 slices of bread
    1 tomato
    Jam

That's IT! And apparently I can't eat that because my grandma put her name on it...

I'm 30g under my protein goal and friggen starving! I'm gonna feel sick of hunger in the middle of the night. :-/

End rant.

First world problems !!

Get off your *kitten* and go to the store FFS!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support! :) you guys are all heart. :flowerforyou:

Some of us understand.

I hope you got something decent to eat and have started preparing your exit strategy.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to live for yourself. YOU know what is best for you and what you need to do, so do it. Don't let other people's opoinon about wat you are doing affect you. Here is a list of small snacks that you can keep hidden or even buy them pretty much anywhere if you're on the go:

1. cheese strings
    2. Protein bars
    3. beef jerky (my personal favorite)
    4. tuna
    5. canned meat
    6. pretty much any fruit or veggie you find at a supermarket.
    ....theres much more! Just get focused and have hope!

Better advice would be to live by yourself - then you don't have to deal with the family dog eating your food, family members bringing you the wrong takeout item, and the like. :tongue:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support! :) you guys are all heart. :flowerforyou:

Some of us understand.

I hope you got something decent to eat and have started preparing your exit strategy.

^^This
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's it. If you're over 18 get a job and your own place and start taking care of yourself.

^This. I would even say that you don't necessarily have to go get your own place, but you most certainly can take responsibility for your own eating & go get yourself something healthy when something like this happens. Whether it was intentional on your sister's part or a legitimate accident, you caved & ordered ribs AND you got mad at the rest of the family for your doing so. Either way, your food was gone & how YOU respond to it is what's important. You're both mad at your family for "making" you order ribs & chips, yet you got mad when they brought a salad home for you. Maybe be happy that they at least attempted to do something in line with what you're trying to accomplish. If you're way under on your protein, gonna starve to death because you don't feel you had enough to eat or whatever, get up off your butt & go get yourself something that suits your diet......

.....They didn't "make" me order ribs...I WANTED RIBS. I didn't want it because my food was fed to the dog...They were going out to get food...so while they were going, I gave them money to bring me some too.

They bought me a salad home and spent the rest of my money on soda, and their explanation was the fact that they didnt want me to get fat because of the ribs.

This part is confusing me...so you gave them cash to get you food before they left...

but you didn't tell them what you wanted when you forked over the money? You waited until later to text them?

Between this and sister feeding her dog your frozen food (did she just throw a frozen chunk in a bowl or heat it up first? :laugh: ) it sounds to me like this all boils down to communication. Try actually sitting down with your family like an adult and explaining why you're all ranty and maybe come up with some solutions together.

Are you sure you're reading the right post? I did tell them and they looked me in the eye and ignored my request.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's it. If you're over 18 get a job and your own place and start taking care of yourself.

She did. She bought it, cooked it and froze it for herself. Then someone in her family decided to feed it to the dog. Obviously if someone else takes your food without permission...your last meal available before being able to go shopping again... it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect that person to replace that meal for the day. If one of my roommates decided to take the last of my chili from the freezer and feed it to their cats when they know full well it's not theirs, nor is it cat food and I had nothing to replace that dinner that I had bought and prepared for myself, i would absolutely expect that they replace what they used. Reading the whole post would be helpful before passing unfair judgement.

I'm sorry. I live alone, pay for, and drive to get my own things. I don't understand this "my family gives me a free place to live but sometimes I don't like the food they give me so waaaah my life is unfair and they're trying to starve me."

If you live with your family, this is what happens. That's why she can't raise a stink with them, because they're putting her up on their dime. By 21 years old I had been out of the house for 4 years and was one year away from becoming a parent myself. I don't have sympathy for overgrown children.

Brett, they took her money, spent it on themselves, and told her that she can't have the food that she wants because it will make her fat. She only has 15 pounds to lose!!!!

In what world, does free rent justify blatant disrespect??!?!?

In MFP world where we are all perfect* and thus qualified to judge others.

*Other than the fact that most of us are or were fat.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I lol'ed.

The original post is the perfect example:

Failing to plan, and failing to execute, paired with an inability to take personal responsibility.

As far as a rant goes, 3/10. Not enough vitriol.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

^This. I would even say that you don't necessarily have to go get your own place, but you most certainly can take responsibility for your own eating & go get yourself something healthy when something like this happens. Whether it was intentional on your sister's part or a legitimate accident, you caved & ordered ribs AND you got mad at the rest of the family for your doing so. Either way, your food was gone & how YOU respond to it is what's important. You're both mad at your family for "making" you order ribs & chips, yet you got mad when they brought a salad home for you. Maybe be happy that they at least attempted to do something in line with what you're trying to accomplish. If you're way under on your protein, gonna starve to death because you don't feel you had enough to eat or whatever, get up off your butt & go get yourself something that suits your diet......

.....They didn't "make" me order ribs...I WANTED RIBS. I didn't want it because my food was fed to the dog...They were going out to get food...so while they were going, I gave them money to bring me some too.

They bought me a salad home and spent the rest of my money on soda, and their explanation was the fact that they didnt want me to get fat because of the ribs.

I don't know if it was a misunderstanding on my part, but that's not the way this thread read to me - it looked like you ordered the ribs AFTER your food got fed to the dog. If you originally placed the order for ribs before and unrelated to your food getting fed to the dog, then 1 thing has nothing to do with the other. If things like getting you a salad when you ordered ribs because they don't want you to "get fat" is an ongoing, passive-aggressive thing with them, then I have to wonder why you would even place an order with them knowing what was likely to happen - why you would expect a different result. Take this as a lesson learned - don't place orders with them, especially if you're giving them money to get it. None of this really matters because you can't change what happened, yet you don't want to take matters into your own hands & go get some food for yourself (fair or not) - you'd rather go to bed hungry & mad.. If you got yourself something to eat then you could just go to bed mad........
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Well....I don't live with my mama so I have to put out $$ for my own food. Be grateful they got you something. If you've got your own $$ go out and get your own food. How old are you?
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Thanks.
  • nilbogger
    Options
    I lol'ed.

The original post is the perfect example:

Failing to plan, and failing to execute, paired with an inability to take personal responsibility.

As far as a rant goes, 3/10. Not enough vitriol.

Cooking and freezing food ahead of time is not planning?
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    this thread is so funny.

some of you are really giving it to the OP. she DID prepare her own food, which was fed to the mutt.

the OP gave her folks money to buy food...they brought her a salad.

the OP has a right to be upset.

Still, this thread is so funny.
  • nilbogger
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

She did. She bought it, cooked it and froze it for herself. Then someone in her family decided to feed it to the dog. Obviously if someone else takes your food without permission...your last meal available before being able to go shopping again... it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect that person to replace that meal for the day. If one of my roommates decided to take the last of my chili from the freezer and feed it to their cats when they know full well it's not theirs, nor is it cat food and I had nothing to replace that dinner that I had bought and prepared for myself, i would absolutely expect that they replace what they used. Reading the whole post would be helpful before passing unfair judgement.

I'm sorry. I live alone, pay for, and drive to get my own things. I don't understand this "my family gives me a free place to live but sometimes I don't like the food they give me so waaaah my life is unfair and they're trying to starve me."

If you live with your family, this is what happens. That's why she can't raise a stink with them, because they're putting her up on their dime. By 21 years old I had been out of the house for 4 years and was one year away from becoming a parent myself. I don't have sympathy for overgrown children.

Brett, they took her money, spent it on themselves, and told her that she can't have the food that she wants because it will make her fat. She only has 15 pounds to lose!!!!

You don't have to be perfect to get your own place. You just need to not be a child.

Really? Is that all? I'll let the homeless guy who plays the harmonica for change know that the next time I see him.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    This makes a lot of sense. "You can't fix stupid", so if your family is going to be a bunch of jerks, take more responsibility for preventing future mistakes. Keep a stash of healthy food in you house or car, keep a few extra dollars hidden in your wallet. Mark and date everthing that belongs to you. And become a duck - Let all the negative just roll off your back. "Love the people who treat you right - Pray for the people who don't" And make more friends on MFP, so you can keep the posts private, and avoid all the snark from invading your mind. Don't make any room for nega-holics in your life.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

You don't have to be perfect to get your own place. You just need to not be a child.

You know what, Brett. Everyone is not like you. Everyone is not going to have the same circumstances or the same opportunities. Why don't you cut her a little slack? We know you had it all figured out at 17, but maybe she didn't. Maybe she is just beginning to realize the depth and gravity of her current situation.

She actually didn't come here for advice. She just needed someone to show her some kindness and support. My advice was the same as yours. The only difference is that I didn't call her a child or immature. I just simply stated the reality of the situation that she didn't deserve to be treated that way, regardless of what her parents do for her or what she does for them in return.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    How terrible they brought things home for you. Be grateful they got you anything at all.

Eat what you have available, go to bed, then wake up and start again.

You're not going to starve to death over a single missed dinner.

Don't be such a drama queen.