So my family bought take out...RANT

Options

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Are you an adult?

If so buy your own food.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's it. If you're over 18 get a job and your own place and start taking care of yourself.

She did. She bought it, cooked it and froze it for herself. Then someone in her family decided to feed it to the dog. Obviously if someone else takes your food without permission...your last meal available before being able to go shopping again... it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect that person to replace that meal for the day. If one of my roommates decided to take the last of my chili from the freezer and feed it to their cats when they know full well it's not theirs, nor is it cat food and I had nothing to replace that dinner that I had bought and prepared for myself, i would absolutely expect that they replace what they used. Reading the whole post would be helpful before passing unfair judgement.

I'm sorry. I live alone, pay for, and drive to get my own things. I don't understand this "my family gives me a free place to live but sometimes I don't like the food they give me so waaaah my life is unfair and they're trying to starve me."

If you live with your family, this is what happens. That's why she can't raise a stink with them, because they're putting her up on their dime. By 21 years old I had been out of the house for 4 years and was one year away from becoming a parent myself. I don't have sympathy for overgrown children.

Brett, they took her money, spent it on themselves, and told her that she can't have the food that she wants because it will make her fat. She only has 15 pounds to lose!!!!

In what world, does free rent justify blatant disrespect??!?!?

It's free rent from her family. This is nothing new, she knows how they are. She's 21 years old, if she can't take it, move out. I couldn't stand my mother. I left when I was 17. So I never had to whine that she didn't bring me home the food I wanted.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

If they're throwing out her food, constantly critical, and the host of other things she wants to complain about, she needs to move out. 21 years old is not a child.

I gotta stand with Brett on this one. As a young adult living with my parents, I don't like everything they do either. But I'm not sitting here blasting them on a public forum. If I have a problem, I put on my big kid pants and talk to my parents about it. If it ever came to something that was a deal breaker for me, I would do what I need to to get out of the house and live on my own.

I mean, seriously, it's not that hard. Plus, there are so many plot holes in this story that it's not even funny. I'm seeing a lot of follow-up CYA posts from the OP to build her up.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    does it suck that the OP's family tossed her food? yup.
    does it suck that her family took her money to get food and brought her the wrong thing? yup.

the part that is getting ME (and i think i speak for others), is the follow up 'woe is me what ever shall i eat?!' rant.

OPs living situation blows, but instead of a trivial rant to a forum of strangers, why not remedy the situation instead?
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Keep a supply of your own food (not just one meal) and follow grandmas lead by putting your name on it and the date it should be kept until.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    does it suck that the OP's family tossed her food? yup.
    does it suck that her family took her money to get food and brought her the wrong thing? yup.

the part that is getting ME (and i think i speak for others), is the follow up 'woe is me what ever shall i eat?!' rant.

OPs living situation blows, but instead of a trivial rant to a forum of strangers, why not remedy the situation instead?

Agreed.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Yes I could go buy my own food. But it's a little despicable to take my money for your own use. And to decide FOR ME what I should and shouldn't eat.

Accepting its a rant, just suck it up and get on with things. Go and get something to eat and you might feelless grouchy. next time dont trust them to get your takeaway and get it yourself or have some reserve food read and stuff the dog wont like. Kearn from it and move on.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    And make more friends on MFP, so you can keep the posts private, and avoid all the snark from invading your mind.

I know this is the crappiest time ever to ask, but would any of the actual supportive people like to FR me? I don't have friends on here. (well I had but I deleted them because they judged my food choices)

My diary is closed, but it would help if I could post things like this on my wall and not have to deal with the wonderous support of the forums.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Why so many harsh tones? Why so much lack of "sugar-coating" when the OP could probably use some kindness?

Her family is not terribly kind to her. We are all strangers here, but I feel like a lot of these responses are unwarranted and suspect that there is some lack of reading comprehension afoot.

bless your gentle heart for assuming the issue is just an honest lack of reading comprehension. you are more mature than I am. So, for that matter, is the OP. I wouldn't have even bothered coming here to rant or "whine" as some refer to it. Someone takes my food and brings me a salad to replace it after using the rest of my money to buy stuff for themselves? I'ma pop 'em one in the nose and take their dang burger for myself. Well...not the WHOLE burger. I'd save some for the dog.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Why so many harsh tones? Why so much lack of "sugar-coating" when the OP could probably use some kindness?

Her family is not terribly kind to her. We are all strangers here, but I feel like a lot of these responses are unwarranted and suspect that there is some lack of reading comprehension afoot.

bless your gentle heart for assuming the issue is just an honest lack of reading comprehension. you are more mature than I am. So, for that matter, is the OP. I wouldn't have even bothered coming here to rant or "whine" as some refer to it. Someone takes my food and brings me a salad to replace it after using the rest of my money to buy stuff for themselves? I'ma pop 'em one in the nose and take their dang burger for myself. Well...not the WHOLE burger. I'd save some for the dog.

Uh huh yep... I'd do the same. Be all nom nom nom in their faces Lmao!!

Seriously when I saw the topic I thought it was gonna be one of those "my family bought me ribs and i wanted salad." This is new to me. If the grandma had her name on her food, then you should do the same, name your food. Actually, i don't know why you didn't eat her food even tho it had a name. Especially since they "chose for you". I woulda done that too.

Hopefully you don't have much school to finish so that you can move out. Sadly enough I went thru that annoying part of not having enough $$ to move out while I was in school and I finally moved out till I no longer had to waste money on school.

Don't rely on them on getting your food. Get your own. That way you avoid not getting your choice and that they waste your money. Get your own mini fridge. That way you'll have your food completely separate from the rest. Wear earplugs every time you eat. That way you won't hear their comments. :flowerforyou:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Was it at least good coke?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I mean, seriously, it's not that hard. Plus, there are so many plot holes in this story that it's not even funny. I'm seeing a lot of follow-up CYA posts from the OP to build her up.
    [/quote]

I may be wrong but I'm seeing the same holes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do you have a car?

Yes. But it just pisses me off that my family is apparently actively trying to starve me or something. If they didn't want to bring me anything they could've just said that I should go get my own food instead of buying me salad because I "can't eat ribs it will make me fat."
    Move out. Truly. If it's this hard, move out.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I know this is the crappiest time ever to ask, but would any of the actual supportive people like to FR me? I don't have friends on here. (well I had but I deleted them because they judged my food choices)

Oh, a pattern.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I lol'ed.

The original post is the perfect example:

Failing to plan, and failing to execute, paired with an inability to take personal responsibility.

As far as a rant goes, 3/10. Not enough vitriol.

Cooking and freezing food ahead of time is not planning?

didn't plan to communicate that said prepared food had a purpose. Since that wasn't done you see both a failure in planning AND execution.

Then she externalizes the responsibility.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    New account OP? You seem so familiar.......lol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    best of luck OP.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I kind of wonder about the assholery of the responses on this thread. I can't imagine that if most people were staying home to finish a chore, gave money to family and put in a take-out order and then received something different than what was ordered (especially less) that any of you would not be upset. Not everyone has the optimal, supportive family. If OP chooses to premake her food for the week to stay on a calorie plan or due to a limited budget and they are resentful about it, perhaps they were rude enough to not buy her the ribs she ordered and get her a salad. Or perhaps they just wanted her money to buy their soda, as she said in her earlier posts. I'm baffled that you all seem to be so rude about it. Yes, she could just get in the car and go buy the food she wants, but the point is, she stayed home to finish her laundry, so she didn't want to go. Now she has to stop doing that to get food. It doesn't say how far she lives from town, so who knows if she can even order out? I know it's fun to be snarky, but sometimes it's better to be supportive.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Was it at least good coke?

my coke joke got deleted :grumble: