Should i tell him that he is gaining the weight back

Options
I am good friends with one of my co workers who lost weight 6 months ago by eating only vegetables for a month. However, now it looks like he is gaining it back.I can see it from his stomach area as it seems like that's the first place males put weight when they gain weight. He looks noticeably thicker .

should I tell him before he finds himself back where he started? Its so easy to not notice the early stages of weight gain.Do you think he will be pissed

Replies

• Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    if he's a good friend I would bring up a concern, do it in a private setting.
  • jamilynn_8890
    jamilynn_8890 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It really isn't your place to say anything. I guess it depends on how close you are. Losing weight by only eating vegetables isn't really sustainable anyway.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    No, it's none of your business. He's more than likely aware.

If a co-worker of mine said they mentioned me gaining weight, I would be pissed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No.

No no no.

No.

If it was your husband or really close friend it'd be different, maybe, depending on your relationship. But there's no way that telling a coworker they're gaining weight goes well. Also, he most likely knows.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yea i wouldn't either hun, I think he knows too and he may be internally debating on whether to confront it or ignore it. Everyone knows that losing weight takes hard work and serious dedication otherwise if it didn't we would all be skinny. And thats why not many americans don't workout or eat right because its too hard so they cut corners
    BASICALLY he nows what he did and he knows what to do ..

…..Let it be...
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    He already knows that he is gaining the weight back.
  • Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would not say a thing. It will come off rude no matter how you do it. Most people are very sensitive about their weight, especially having been successful with weight loss and then started to gain the weight back. Believe me, he notices, he may just not be motivated to do anything about it or maybe he wasn't comfortable at the lower weight and is trying to find a more manageable weight. Maybe he didn't think the weight loss was worth only eating vegetables. Maybe he's happier being able to eat more foods. Either way- don't... it would only do more harm than good.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone who never thought about their weight wouldn't notice a gain, but if he already went through a weight loss process, then he almost certainly would realize he's gaining it back. I wouldn't mention it.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Do you honestly think he doesn't notice? I'm sure he does. A good friend would share information on nutrition and offer to workout together or sign up for a 5K.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My workmate said to me "Have you put on weight?" when she saw my stomach getting larger. I'd lost some weight earlier but had a lose-gain phase. It hurt a little but it did actually help in terms of bringing back to reality that I was gaining. It might help him, or you could do a sidetrack comment by saying that you were thinking of going vegetable too for a while, just to see how he reacts.

Personally, I'd love to go veges only for a month, but it's too expensive.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yeah
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Abso-fricken-lutely NOT.

He's your co-worker. Not your partner, not your family member, not your best friend. Even if he was any of those things, I'd still probably say no.

He's not stupid, he knows he's putting weight back on and he doesn't need a CO-WORKER, even one who is a friend, pointing it out.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Lol. No.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    In this case, I would say NO! It is not any of your business, and he did not lose the weight in a heathy, sustainable way to begin with. He is probably well aware he is slipping and can not control his binges he is now having. You dont need to point it out to him.
  • Fmacgoo
    Fmacgoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No, don't say anything. As someone else posted, ask if you both want to go on a bike ride together or something if you are really concerned, but a co-worker's mid-section is not your responsibility or business. Eating only vegetables doesn't sound like a long-term plan anyway if it isn't a "lifestyle" change.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    *insert the nope nope nope octopus gif here*
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    He already knows that he is gaining the weight back.

This
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'd just ask him if he was doing ok. I asked the same question a while ago and this worked out ok. Gives the person a chance to open up or not as they see fit.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Solid first post.

Just....solid.