The thing about ice cream

Options

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You asked:

"Also, Ice cream is totally real food, how in the world is it not real?"

It's not a real food in that it is a junk food. Other than trace amounts of calcium, it doesn't contain any nutritional value. It is delicious, I'll give you that!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Breyers - Chocolate Ice Cream, 1/2 cup 66g (calories)140 (c)17 (f)7 (p)2
    Avocado, Haas - Usda (Grams), 66 g (calories)110 (c)6 (f)10 (p)1

Why is an avocado more real? Please explain.

Fat and protein are what satiates most people. The only issue with ice cream is it has higher carbs, same as bread...rice or any other carb. The fat and protein is a bonus. Also 140 calories is normally pretty easy to work in.

But who eats a half cup of ice cream? That's a joke, right??
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Fat and protein are what satiates most people. The only issue with ice cream is it has higher carbs, same as bread...rice or any other carb. The fat and protein is a bonus. Also 140 calories is normally pretty easy to work in.

I do, almost every night. Why would that be a joke?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You asked:

It's not a real food in that it is a junk food. Other than trace amounts of calcium, it doesn't contain any nutritional value. It is delicious, I'll give you that!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Andrea4456
    Andrea4456 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The thing that I always forget, is that I actually love healthy food! I get so focused on wanting something that I "shouldn't" have, but often when I resist I am pretty satisfied with something way more reasonable.

I know, right! Friday night I scarfed down doritos for dessert and Saturday I had cottage chess and fruit and I was equally happy. Dumb.

^^^^ I'm the same way! love the taste of cottage cheese and fruit sometimes as much as ice cream... Problem is, sometimes there is just no substitute for ice cream... it's like pizza.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've also noticed sweets during the day cause me to crave more. So I wait until later in the evening. It leaves me more satisfied, and there is less time to be tormented if I do crave more. I also have a tea that tasyes sweet, but is actually unsweetened, so that helps satisfy me too
    I found this as well. I do much better eating desserts after dinner sometime.

Also, I had my tonsils removed, and I'm almost to the point of getting sick of ice cream...
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You asked:

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps9dde0bcd.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Sometimes I eat less than a half cup, because I really like wine also, and I don't always have room for both! But by looking at my calories for the day overall, I can make those decisions... Wine or ice cream, or a little of both! Still waiting to find wine flavored ice cream at my local stores...
  • fatcity66
    Options

Not me! A half cup is barely a taste in my book!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

<
    Eats 1/2 cup of ice cream with no problem. Because I've learned how to have self control and knowing that tomorrow I can have more makes it easier. I don't have to eat all of it at once.

So much self control that there are probably 10 different ice creams/gelato in my freezer right now. I don't feel the need to open it every 5 minutes to eat.

I eat 1/2 cup of ice cream almost nightly. I have 12 pints in the freezer of Talenti and 3 different quarts of homemade ice cream Comes down to knowing I will eat my portion that fits into my day and tomorrow I'll decide what fits then
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

That's what I thought as well. Then I started weighing out a portion and having it. Knowing that I can have a serving just about every night really does relieve the feeling that you need to eat it all. It takes some getting used to seeing so "little" in the bowl; but it is satisfying. You have to learn to adjust. If you have problems with binging on ice cream, you can do what I did; I started by going out for gelato. There's a place that weighs out 3oz exactly for quality control. Great way to ensure you get the exact servings size, and you only buy one serving, so no binging.

I also found that I really enjoy splurging on the more "expensive" flavorful gelatos and stuff. If it's flavor packed, it helps being satisfied in a smaller quantity.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    One thing I always notice is that the people who fit in awesome foods like: ice cream, chocolates, etc. seemed to have big weight losses or have been maintaining for awhile and the "health, clean food people" whatever you want to call it/them, well................rest my case. :wink: :laugh:

I've only lost 16 out of the oh say 130 or some odd pounds I need to lose this go around........I still eat ice cream lol. The last time I tried to restrict myself of this and other said "non real foods" like it I gained back about 30 of the 40 pounds I lost. Smh never again!

I had a Snickers Ice Cream bar Friday....no I think 2. Still lost 3 pound last week. Ice cream FTW!!!!!!
  • fatcity66
    Options

That's what I thought as well. Then I started weighing out a portion and having it. Knowing that I can have a serving just about every night really does relieve the feeling that you need to eat it all. It takes some getting used to seeing so "little" in the bowl; but it is satisfying. You have to learn to adjust. If you have problems with binging on ice cream, you can do what I did; I started by going out for gelato. There's a place that weighs out 3oz exactly for quality control. Great way to ensure you get the exact servings size, and you only buy one serving, so no binging.

I also found that I really enjoy splurging on the more "expensive" flavorful gelatos and stuff. If it's flavor packed, it helps being satisfied in a smaller quantity.

I do much better with portion-controlled ice cream, like chocolate-covered Talenti bars or Cadbury Caramello ice cream bars. They are delicious!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are not afraid to love food, love ice cream and live, here is our awesome group....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/22569-where-we-love-to-love-gelato-and-ice-cream

I have joined. I love my ice cream!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I believe in the four major food groups - sugar, fat, salt and carbohydrates (maybe it's not called that).
  • fatcity66
    Options
    I just want to say, if someone doesn't have the will-power to be able to eat ice cream in moderation, (maybe they just need to work on it, but they haven't mastered it yet) then it's their prerogative if they indulge, or choose to avoid it. YOU are not THEM. I see a lot of self-righteous people on these forums, which is surprising to me, as looking at their tickers, they seem to have once had a weight problem, so they should understand that it's not always as simple as "just eat a little bit." But I guess that's what the *ignore* feature is for. *shrug*. Whether you lose weight by moderation, or avoidance, I say do what works for you. And take what any one else says with a grain of salt. Portion-controlled items work for me, so that's what I do.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, if someone doesn't have the will-power to be able to eat ice cream in moderation, (maybe they just need to work on it, but they haven't mastered it yet) then it's their prerogative if they indulge, or choose to avoid it. YOU are not THEM. I see a lot of self-righteous people on these forums, which is surprising to me, as looking at their tickers, they seem to have once had a weight problem, so they should understand that it's not always as simple as "just eat a little bit." But I guess that's what the *ignore* feature is for. *shrug*. Whether you lose weight by moderation, or avoidance, I say do what works for you. And take what any one else says with a grain of salt. Portion-controlled items work for me, so that's what I do.

Yeah but that's not what OP said. She said she felt unsatisfied after eating ice cream for lunch and wonders if treats are worth it because ice cream has no nutritional value. Well duh, if that's all you ate for lunch then no wonder you felt unsatisfied. Which then started the discussion about balancing it all out by planning your day to include treats in moderation. And IT IS just as simple as eat a little less.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I try to follow the moderation mentality and eat mostly healthy, but sometimes when I want a treat I indulge myself. With summer coming to an end, my son wanted to go to our ice cream spot today, so I decided to have a sundae in lieu of lunch. While it was yummy, I still wanted more once I basically scraped every last drop of melted ice cream out of the cup. I also don't feel satisfied now at the end of the day because I still tried to maintain my deficit, so dinner was very sensible but for some reason I just don't feel very satiated. (I am not actually hungry though.) Anyways, I guess I am just thinking out loud here, but sometimes I think having a "treat" isn't even really worth it. I used to be a smoker, and I distinctly remember an "a-ha" moment when it dawned on me that it wasn't even worth giving in to the craving because no matter how many cigarettes I smoked, I would still crave more regardless. I don't think I am quite ready to go cold turkey on ice cream yet (or cake, or chocolate, or beer...) but I can't help but see the correlation today...

OP, I get what you were trying to convey in your post. Congrats on your "a-ha" moment. I don't restrict foods or label them as good or bad but I have also found that if I fit a 'treat' food in earlier in the day, it doesn't leave me satisfied. I do better from a hunger standpoint to leave treat foods till the end of the day.