Six min mile

Options
124»

Replies

• DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    That's a great goal. Having been exactly where you are now I'd say a year may be a bit optimistic but not impossible. I'd find a running club near you and join. Probably lots of great people that can the you some guidance in reaching your goal.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Long ago in the last century we used "intervals" to get to a goal pace. You are teaching your body to run a certain pace.
    Find some part of a mile that you can hold a 6 min pace.
    Find a 1/4 mile track . A six min/mile pace for a 1/4 mile is 90 sec. Can you do that? OK. do about 6-8 quarters at that pace with an easy jog or walk between each one. Or if you can't do a 1/4 mile at pace do a set of 220 yards at 45 sec or 110 yards at 22-23 sec. Resting/jog/walk in between. Warm up/Streach good before these fast runs as you are putting a lot more pressure on your body.
    As your body gets used to running this pace run more intervals or make them a little longer distance but at your goal pace.
    In High School track we did these along with distance runs in the same day . As an adult I did them as "hard days" and left off one my long runs. Go on with your hard/easy runs and rest days and maybe work a track day in on an easy day .
    Remember it takes time and hard work.
    Good Luck:smile:
    This is all well and good, but without the proper aerobic base to support it, it's not going to be that big a help.

Building aerobic base is going to give the OP the most bang for the buck.The culmination of easy miles will drive the pace down. The mile is, after all, still a distance race and is about 94% aerobic.
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    after tonight I can say jogging three miles and running one has become easy, I never thought I would be able to go four miles and feel that way, hopefully soon I will be able to jog my first ten miles, so far I have only been able to go 7.05 because of my kinda old shoes were worn out they were only two months old and poor battery life on my phone, I might get a gps watch soon, do you know of any good ones and do any of them sync to mapmyrun?
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    ...jogging three miles and running one has become easy...

What do you mean by this? Are you saying you ran three miles easy and then ran one fast? Because jogging is running. Just a little confused by what you mean.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Long ago in the last century we used "intervals" to get to a goal pace. You are teaching your body to run a certain pace.
    Find a 1/4 mile track . A six min/mile pace for a 1/4 mile is 90 sec. Can you do that? OK. do about 6-8 quarters at that pace with an easy jog or walk between each one. Or if you can't do a 1/4 mile at pace do a set of 220 yards at 45 sec or 110 yards at 22-23 sec. Resting/jog/walk in between. Warm up/Streach good before these fast runs as you are putting a lot more pressure on your body.
    As your body gets used to running this pace run more intervals or make them a little longer distance but at your goal pace.
    In High School track we did these along with distance runs in the same day . As an adult I did them as "hard days" and left off one my long runs. Go on with your hard/easy runs and rest days and maybe work a track day in on an easy day .
    This is all well and good, but without the proper aerobic base to support it, it's not going to be that big a help.

Building aerobic base is going to give the OP the most bang for the buck.The culmination of easy miles will drive the pace down. The mile is, after all, still a distance race and is about 94% aerobic.

What defines a foot race as "distance"?
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    What defines a foot race as "distance"?

Races of 800m or greater are considered distance races.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
  • SteveMoto
    SteveMoto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The more you run, the better and more efficient you get at running. If you don't have the time or environment for making your runs longer try running more frequently. I went from running three days a week to running five days without any soreness. I typically run 5K (3.10 miles) since it seems like a good target for when I finally enter races. I'll already know what my best race pace is that I should try to maintain. I've also found that if I mix in some 10K runs my 5K times start to drop. Like my foot/knee/leg/hip strength goes up. I went from 10-11 min/mile down to a 8 min/mile average with some time at 6:45 in there in about three months time.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Now I want to go balls out for a mile and see how fast I can get it...lol.

My last 10K had an 8:37 pace, but I've never went all out for a mile.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

• burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Advise is worth what one pays for it. Mine's free:smile: .
    This system worked for me and others in High School track ,and later in when I was in my late 40s in Law Enforcement Olympics. I've suggested this method to help other employees just trying to pass the yearly physical test. They were just trying to run a 7 min pace. Seemed to work and they passed. Of course he should keep up his aerobic training long runs , hard and easy days. But if he wants to run a six min mile he can teach himself what a six min pace feels like with intervals. Or possibly as you suggest he can run long slow distance until he can run fast. I never tried that:smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Or possibly as you suggest he can run long slow distance until he can run fast. I never tried that:smile:

That's the guiding principle behind Lydiard training, upon which nearly all modern distance running programs are based. It's not just me suggesting it. It's a tried and true formula that produces consistent results. Sure, the OP might be able to get down to 6:00 quicker doing intervals without the proper base (or maybe not). But, if he's like most runners I know, he won't be satisfied with 6:00. building the aerobic system will provide the most benefit over time.

My advice costs just as much as yours does too. :wink:
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Update Nov 30th I ran a mile 6:49! I have been jogging/running up big hills I think it has helped me. It was a straight stretch that is on my road, couldn't have went better it was at night and there was no one out or any reasons to slow me down. I wasn't really thinking about running I was just going at it as fast as I could. I hit the mile mark at 6:49 then went 0.3 at 2:31 averaging 9:45 a mile before I couldn't run anymore I had to walk the rest of the way back home lol, but of course if I run as fast as I can I want be able to go the distance. I'm really happy with the time :-), now only have to get where I can run back too.
    10734017_784959771577640_5729665868993478536_n.jpg?oh=c22c8f2c51a7c6f8e7a761ee892b3c0a&oe=55132A81